1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017] Apple September Event

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Why would you pay 100 bucks to buy a knock off screen from amazon instead of paying 130 for apple to repair it with genuine parts??

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Knock off screens are usually much cheaper than 100 from Amazon BUT be careful with those 3rd party screens. I had one where the glass was resting on a carboard trim. The screen fell off shortly after being repaired. Usually the trim around the screen is a hard plastic. This was from some 3rd party shop. BUYER BEWARE!! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

Sajan likes this.
  3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Just for reference, how much would apple care/square-trade have been to avoid that mess entirely? I know there's a deductible, but it isn't awful. If I went back to iOS I would factor that into the price of any device I bought to start with.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Smaller bezels>curved screen.

Curved screen serves no pragmatic purpose and actually worsens user expereince because it distorts and doesn't allow you to view all content on one even plane. It looks cool though.

Small bezels allows a larger display on a smaller footprint. We aren't all 6'4" dudes with massive hands. It also looks cool.

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So the $100 is a genuine replacement, if you want knockoff it's like $30-50

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've got a 7+ and I really like the new screen size of the X. I don't like the price, but I like the screen, and not just because it's OLED. This thinner, longer screen size will fit much better in my front pocket. That's my biggest grip about the 7-plus. I love it, otherwise, and use it much more for surfing the net than I did the 5s that I had before. My eyes aren't what they once were, so bigger and higher resolutions are important to me, as is increased battery life. The new models get 2 extra hours of battery life compared to the 7's. That, and a better cpu and graphics capability matter to me. We kept our 5s's for years, skipped the 6 and 6+, then jumped on the 7+ models.

One thing I noticed, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, is that the new 8 and 8+ are heavier. The 7 and 7+ are 138 and 188 grams, respectively. The 8 and 8+? 148 and 202 grams. That's about a half ounce difference between the 7+ and the 8+. That's noticeable, in my opinion. In contrast, the iPhone X weighs 174 grams, just over 6 ounces. Since I lug these things around in my front pocket most of the time I'm wearing clothes (ha ha), I'll be looking hard at the model X. Weight is a big deal, as is how it fits in your pocket, in my opinion.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, the $100 or so is genuine from the vendor I've done business with and includes a warranty, knockoffs typically go for $30-50 and I'd avoid them unless you don't care about quality.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Don't get me wrong I've done both the Apple store for a family member and bought from a great vendor on screens for a non-fam/friend, the only reason I like the vendor option is to make some money on the side, I can charge $20 and do it in under 10min, and standing at Apple for your apt is a pain since at the Domain in Austin they're booked solid. But I'm not against Apple option or something. They're doing great work and jobs on their services vs the first few iPhone releases where it was a pita to service, or Apple would charge $200+ to just replace the entire phone.

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Don't care about the new phones, but might care about the Apple TV.

Can you tell me whether the Apple TV supports DLNA these days? Ideally natively, but it would also be fine if there were an app it supported that did DLNA well (VLC?).

The answer to this question will dictate whether I buy one or not.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I believe there is a a VLC app for AppleTV. Also, you might be able to use AppleTV Plex app.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To be fair, I'm not a tech guy. So when I say infinity edge, I don't necessarily mean a curved edge.
    I just mean no bezel.
    And if there absolutely has to be a need for some kind of transition, if you aren't doing the "curved" infinity, it still seems way to big here.

I'm 6'1 with normal hands. The thing that feels VERY weird to me now is going back to a smaller phone form. I've been rocking 6s plus. feels perfectly fine. though i should note i don't use any bulky cases.

Battery life is definitely important. Though I've gotten to the point where I've accepted battery life is going to require a recharge periodically. I don't always recharge at night. Sometimes I'll just plug it in when I first wake up, then for an hour later in the day. Longer battery would be great, but if you utilize a lot of video [as I do, as I listen/watch various things as I work] I've accepted it still won't be amazing.

I just want maximum size while still feeling like a phone and not a mini tablet. I get that I might be at the higher end of that spectrum. I suspect that next year or the following they will take the new ten style and just make it bigger, with a plus of its own.

Deckard likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am an Apple fan, but not a fan boy. But am invested in the apple "eco-system" as it relates to devices working seamlessly with each other.

-iPhone update was fine. I have an iPhone 6 that works well. I don't feel compelled to update. (but if I do, I am sure I will update to the X.)
    -Apple going with an industry standard for wireless charging was a very smart decision.
    -I don't have an AppleWatch. But I think the LTE addition is a huge update. Being able to de-couple it away from the iPhone is huge.
    -I have AppleTV (4th gen) and don't feel compelled to upgrade to the newer AppleTV. I don't have a 4K TV. But the AppleTV upgrade was solid with 4K and HDR/DolbyVision. I would still like to see Apple put the TosLink terminal back into the AppleTV. I was disappointed that the AppleTV Remote wasn't refreshed. It's usability is really lacking. It needs to be re-imagined. AppleTV "TVApp" needs to be able to recognize "local library" movie files (instead of having to use the My Computers App). That unification of media (search) would make the TV App more powerful.

Deckard likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You are going to love 4k HDR. It's the biggest visually noticeable jump in image quality since 480p to 720p/1080p. The next step is 120hz refresh rates.

HDR really is a huge leap in color space. Such a wider range of colors can be utilized.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Oh, I know. :) I have a panasonic plasma as my main TV right now. If I was to update it would be for an LG OLED to utilize 4K/HDR. Just can't justify it quite yet. But it is on my radar so I am looking forward to it when the time comes. :)

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I really dislike the curved screens. At first I was ambivalent towards them, now they are my biggest gripe. Its hard to navigate around the curve.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Ive been wanting OLED for a couple years now. Ive been holding off. My TV is coming on 10 years now and even with 4k, I still have no reason to upgrade. I thought about upgrading to one with HDR, but the content is very limited and the industry hasn't fully adopted an HDR standard. I may wait till 2018 Black Friday to pick one up.

17. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Have you used either?

The problem with DLNA apps is that it seems pretty hard to ascertain their quality without an actual hands-on. For example the PS4's DLNA is absolute crap. Many videos in common formats will mysteriously fail to play even with multiple types of transcoding set up from the server... add in that the controls themselves are just bare-bones and clunky/unintuitive, and it's pretty worthless to me (side note: freakin' mystery how PS3 can have such robust media server features, and yet the PS4 is crap at it). Nothing but actually using the app will reveal these types of issues.

Ever since the Amazon Video app for Apple TV was announced, I've been interested in the Apple TV. Mostly because I'd like to have just one device I watch TV from, instead of of hopping around between my (old) smartTV's built-ins and my various game systems, depending on which apps work best on which platform. Would love to put that all to rest and just always use one dedicated device for video that isn't a power-hog. But if the DLNA is bad, I may as well stick with my current stable of devices.

Deckard likes this.
  18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Optical is gone and it ain't coming back. And will probably soon become totally extinct. For better or for worse, the use of ARC on TVs w/ audio pass through and codecs that need HDMI's higher bandwidth have made it all but obsolete. Sucks for people wanting to hold on to older audio equipment.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I figured. I have an AppleTV2 that I am holding onto that has the TosLink. I use it to send the AUDIO to my AVR so I can stream music to my AppleTV while also watching TV with something else. Being able to split the signal is helpful. I guess this use-case is more of an edge-case for Apple.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Honestly, I having played around with either that much. But I think they can pull audio/video files from specified computer directory locations. Since I use the apple ecosystem (iTunes) I don't really use the DLNA process.