1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Indians run out of gas?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Tha_Dude, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

They're up to 20 games now which is inching closer to historic marks set by teams that existed a hundred years ago. Giants won 26 straight in 1916, Cubs won 21 straight games in 1935 which is the current longest active streak that doesn't include a tie.

We need the early season Astros to make a return here soon if we don't want to face Boston in the first round. But, Cleveland looks unbeatable right now so I'm not sure how much it will matter in the end.

2. ThaShark316_28

I enjoy playing baseball fan first (which I am), so here I go:

Speaking only neutral, I'm worried that they might have peaked a little early. I've seen this before. Teams get scorching hot, but end up dropping a few games, and can't get that cool back (i.e.; Dodgers) for weeks at a time. So, while they are playing fantastic baseball, this sport doesn't give a **** how hot you are on September 13th.

I like them a lot, but I am a wee bit concerned.

NOW, as an Astros fan: I'm pulling for them to peak. Why? Means we had a hand in their demise.

3. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Cleveland is healthy now, they have all of their starting pitchers back (that they didn't have last year), and they're throwing the ball well. Our pitchers are coming off injuries but look like they're still pitching hurt, now Lance is being taken out of the rotation again. I mean, I'm glad we picked up Verlander because he might just be the last man standing in this rotation before all is said and done. We have no chance of winning a world series without a healthy DK/Lance, though. Our bullpen is completely spent, also. They have zero gas left.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Wish this was happening during the 100-loss years.

I like Cleveland and have some friends from there. Passionate, long-time suffering fans whose city gets disrespected even outside of sports. They're a more passionate Houston.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Much like the Astros did earlier in the season... they've captured the perfect combination of health, their entire rotation is pitching as good as they possibly can, scheduling (10 out of the 20 against the Tigers/White Sox), and as always in baseball... luck.

All-in-all, they were predicted to be a 90-100 win team to begin the season, and that's exactly where they'll be.

And much like the first 2/3'ds of the season... they can be beat... or they can rip through anybody with a stellar ace (Kluber), a young-upstart lineup, and a dominant set-up man/closer combo bullpen.

They won 5 out of 6 vs the Astros, while the Astros were in the midst of playing .700 baseball... but I still think the Astros have the lineup and starting pitching depth edge if all their guys are healthy.

moonsh0t likes this.
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

As is always the case with playoff baseball, any team in it could win the whole thing and it wouldn't be shocking. If the Astros find their offense and Keuchel/Verlander have their A game, this is as good a team as anyone.

kaleidosky likes this.
  7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

There is a solid chance we could lose in the playoffs to the eventual WS winners for the 2nd time in 3 years lol

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

'12 Texans molly-wopped BAL -- Ravens champions

'13 Texans had SEA beaten (then Schaub happened) -- Hawks win SB

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

At some point they have to cool off. Hopefully it's in about 3 weeks.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Earlier in the season, we were on an 11 game winning streak and leading comfortably in Game 12 vs. Kansas City. Only three of those wins had been by less than 3 runs. We looked unbeatable. Our bullpen proceeded to melt down and we lost 8 of the next 12 games.

Baseball is fickle and teams can go from unbeatable to pushovers at the drop of a hat.

Cleveland certainly looks invincible at the moment, but history says that how they are playing now most likely will have no bearing on how they are playing in three weeks.

That being said, I really hope they start losing at least once in a while. I want that #1 seed.

#10 Baseballa, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    moonsh0t and MadMax like this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I got the sense on the broadcast last night that Cleveland is so hyped for this streak that there's no way they'll be able to sustain the momentum through the playoffs. That could be more a media creation though. Their players are saying the right thing.

If I were to tell you before the season that on September 13 the Indians would be 1.5 games ahead of the Astros for home-field advantage in the playoffs, we all would have agreed that it sounds reasonable. The great thing about baseball is that everything will always regress to the mean. We've seen it with the Astros and Dodgers after unbelievable stretches this season, and it will happen to Cleveland also.

I'm not sure about the peaking too early thing. The playoffs offer a clean slate. Small sample sizes and luck definitely play a role but I'll go with talent any day, and I think the Astros stack up favorably with any team talent-wise.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

14. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

This has the making of the 73 win Warriors - expend so much energy for the season records and end up coming short to winning it all

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They're down 1-0 in top of 1st inning against Tigers right now

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

And Jay Bruce 3-run homer. You've gotta be kidding me.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

All 6 division leaders are very close in terms of talent and are significantly better than the next tier of teams. The winner of the World Series will be determined by what can generally be described as luck. Unfortunately all of them should be just as good next year. Over the next few years the Braves and Phillies will catch up to the Nats and the White Sox will overtake the Indians. But other than that I expect it to be the same division winners over the next 2-3 seasons.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Insane.

Like has already been said, this stretch is just as, if not more, impressive/rare than a WS win (although every possible baseball fan would trade this for that in a heartbeat.)

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Blowing their load before MLB starts handing out hardware.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Those 2002 A's lost in the ALDS to a mediocre Twins team.