1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Episode IX

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Sep 12, 2017.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Abrams To Helm “Star Wars: Episode IX”

By Garth Franklin Tuesday, September 12th 2017 8:47 am

Lucasfilm is returning to familiar safe territory with “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” filmmaker J.J. Abrams slated to return to the franchise to direct “Star Wars: Episode IX” after the exit of former director, Colin Trevorrow earlier this month.

In a statement, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy says: “I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy. With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy.”

Abrams will also co-write the film with Chris Terrio. Trevorrow exited the project after issues with the script persisted throughout development. Jack Thorne was tapped to work on the script, how much of his will now remain is unclear.

“Star Wars: Episode IX” is set to hit cinemas on May 24th 2019.

Source: Heat Vision

http://www.darkhorizons.com/abrams-to-helm-star-wars-episode-ix/

Yawn.......

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I'll go see it but this doesn't excite me.

GRENDEL likes this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

“Star Wars: Episode IX” is set to hit cinemas on May 24th 2019.

Well, they'd better get cracking, I guess. Seems a quick turnaround.

Hopefully J.J. Abram won't be bowing down to some sort of Disney "follow the 'Return of the Jedi' blueprint" mandate.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens----the nostalgia, the effects, the new characters, the old characters---but hopefully the last two movies show a little more guts in the framework of the plot.

Not that they won't get my money, anyway.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I read an interview with Rian Johnson recently about Episode 8...he said there was nothing forced on him at all. It was largely his story to tell. It was really interesting to read that.

Yung-T likes this.
  5. ROXTXIA

Max,
    Good to know. Maybe for Episode 7 Disney wanted to play it safe (although we all showed up for the steaming pile of crap that was "The Phantom Menace", so they needn't have worried.....I remember at the end of "Menace" there was no reaction, no clapping, just everyone standing up with a, "I waited how many years for this" silence.)

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

This ensures the movie will not be BAD.

[​IMG]

justtxyank likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

but what happened in episode xiii?

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm not excited either, but I would rather have him than Trevorrow.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Seems to me Disney proved a number of things with these first two movies

A) they will make enough money they can reshoot or rewrite when necessary to make it quality
    B) they did a good job casting
    C) they delivered on the action and entertainment
    D) they can tap into the nostalgia without overshadowing the development of new characters

So the only real variable is the script, which is where they haven't been forced to push themselves yet, but they probably have 70% movie even without a good script given their track record.

I like their chances of a very good to great movie. I am excited about it.

MadMax likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

Probably true. Abrams already dealt with Disney so he knows how to navigate the waters. Maybe Trevorrow found Disney's parameters too restricting, who knows?

11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Star Wars IX is being pushed back to December 20, 2019. Not really surprising.

I think using JJ Abrams is the wise move. They need a safe choice. Save the "experimental" directors for the "Star Wars Story" side movies and keep the safer choices for the "Saga" movies.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Worst news ever... Another steaming pile of doo doo.

14. ROXTXIA

"I agree." - Clyde Drexler

There is a formula that has worked for the Star Wars movies and they have to follow it. I do think they hewed a little too closely to the bones of Episode IV A New Hope when they made Episode VII, but that's penny ante grousing on my part. I still saw it twice in the theater (in part because my wife got into it; thank you, God!)

Rogue One type films can afford to, uh, kill off characters not named Obi-Wan. Or have the opening title scroll (which did feel odd; but the text would have been eerily similar to A New Hope's, with some additions, like, "But they need to test that awesome new weapon, the Death Star, and they have to get their hands on the plans for that Death Star so that they can get them to Princess Cinnabuns....").

But not all opinions are the same...... :D

15. Buck Turgidson

Exactly. I thought Safety Not Guaranteed was good; then he did they very "exactly-what-you-thought-it-would-be" Jurassic World. His last movie (the one "he wanted to make" after JW gave him that cred) was an absolute trainwreck, and apparently he's a total pain in the ass to work with.

From everything I've read, it was Disney that got sick of Trevorrow.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Disney wants to make money. The easiest way to do that is just copy the old movies.

17. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Disneyfied. I'd rather see them take a chance on someone else, knowing failure is a possiblility, than accepting mediocrity.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

why wasn't michael bay considered?

cwebbster likes this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree, but seriously Trevorrow is not some bold visionary director who pushes the boundaries. If anything, he's more of a safe pick than Abrams.

Big MAK likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member