1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson Or Savage? Who would you like to see lead the Texans week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nigel Thornberry, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Watson or Savage

1. Deshaun Watson

66.7%
  2. Tom Savage

33.3%
  1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

More bullshit analysis that completely ignores,

1) Watson had same shitty OL when he came in the game
    2) No reps with the #1s
    3) No game planning as the #1
    4) Oh yea, first career game

The savage defending of Savage is ridiculous. He's a 4 year nothing and gets defended like a 10 year successful vet. Meanwhile, the stream of excuses for Savage is unlimited but Watson isn't allowed excuses. What a joke and shame on all of you who are taking and debating from this position.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a great breakdown of Savage. From that alone I don't see how you question starting him. One pass that didn't hit a receiver's hands is something Watson can't do anytime soon, or if ever. Hopefully Strong can take a little pressure off Hopkins this week. Either way, our guys have to be able to pull those balls in and make the catch. I'd love to see that same breakdown on Watson. He had a ton of throws that came nowhere near the receivers' hands.

I wish I could get excited about Watson, but I can't. I see a lot of interceptions on the horizon. But, he will probably be our leading rusher if Miller starts. I guess we might have to trade Fuller in the off season for an offensive lineman, because we won't need to worry about a long pass with Watson. I sure hope he proves me wrong. I can only go from what I have seen so far, which seems like panic passes that are up for grabs.

Bobbythegreat and Mr. Clutch like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hopkins is dealing with a hand injury. Wouldn't be surprised if it was affecting him.

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pushing that false narrative just shows that you don't know what you are seeing when you watch football. Watson actually held on to the ball longer than Savage did, the difference was that he was running for his life and Savage was staying in the pocket hoping that his O line could hold for even 3 seconds....which they usually didn't. Despite having no time whatsoever, Savage still only threw 1 pass that didn't hit his receivers in the hands, a play where he was hit while throwing the ball after less than 3 seconds from the snap. Every other play, he hit his guys in the hands.

No QB is going to have success when an O line is playing that poorly....and that applies to Watson as well. in only one half of football he threw what should have been 2 picks and fumbled the ball away....so let's not pretend like he was having success either.

Going forward, it doesn't really matter to me what QB starts because if it's Watson and he gets thrown to the wolves before he's ready and ends up ruined like David Carr, it's what Texans fans deserve to have happen. Either way, I don't think we've seen the last QB change of the season either due to injury or incompetence.

Nook and deb4rockets like this.
  5. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Damn, he already has an injury? I told y'all it was too soon to play him. He needed to stay in the bench for 6-8 weeks to learn the NFL game. Now he's going to become RG3 2.0. I know Tom Savage sucks, and the Texans don't have a first round next year, but I rather take it slow on Watson first. Too late, though...

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Amen bro! It is completely ridiculous.

smitheygerard, ipaman and Fulgore like this.
  7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Savage has no chance behind this oline. With Watson you can have him run around and buy enough time to occasionally find a miracle. He did after all lead us to our only TD. Either way this team is screwed. Might as well tank for the top pick....;)

Nook likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good luck.

Oh!

#449 J.R., Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  10. ipaman

some traditional running game, run from shotgun, read option from shotgun, play action, boot action, all things you can do with Watson to slow down the rush and help the OL. can't do much if any of that with Savage.

granted limited game plan and half field route options not ideal for winning but that's not as important as protecting OL and Watson while letting him gain valuable experience. plus you still might actually win, not out of the question.

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Deshaun finna make Savage obsolete or Billy O finna make Deshaun obsolete.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

This sounds really depressing and boring. At least Savage has an arm on him.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well think on the bright side, maybe Watson can keep it under 3 or 4 turnovers

deb4rockets likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

If not, we won't beat anybody on our schedule, not even Cleveland.

15. ipaman

unbelievable that knowing our OL weaknesses you prefer a QB and a game plan that enhances those weaknesses over a QB and game plan that might be able to hide or mask those same OL weaknesses. all the while also developing your 1st round franchise player you spend 2 1st rd picks on. honestly there are no words, this way of thinking is ridiculous.

depressing and boring is reading these ridiculous posts from supposed texans fans.

Fulgore likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Go ahead and toot Watson's horn. When he breaks Osweiller's interception record you may see what I mean. He can't throw down the field accurately. If he runs around on a gimp ankle and hurts it more then we really have a problem. We don't have a 3rd string QB anymore. The odds of the line collapsing that bad every game are slim. I want him to succeed, but not by learning to throw an accurate ball in a real game.

17. ipaman

you folks are so dense. no one is tooting watson's horn as you say because us folks that live in reality know he's done nothing yet and has to prove it. why do you all insist on making up counter positions just so you can argue with yourselves?

for the last time, the texans have two unproven qbs and i prefer to find out if the 1st rounder that cost us 2 picks essentially has what it takes instead of the guys who after 4 years of college and 4 years as a pro has accomplished absolutely nothing.

macho GRANDE and Fulgore like this.
  18. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I'll admit that I have not been keeping up with the Texans as much as I have in the past, but starting Watson now seems like its going to be a fatal mistake for this franchise.

I think Watson has what it takes to be really good in this league. I don't think he's ever going to be known as an all time great by any means, but he should be our QB for the next 12+ years, providing us with a near elite level of play. For a franchise that has never had that "guy", Watson should be considered the cream of the cream for this franchise and should be groomed for his time accordingly. What the Texans' are doing right now, is not that.

Throwing him in last game and now starting him on Thursdays seems like it might be an already career defining moment for Watson, where the outcomes don't look favorable at all. If he stinks it up or is continually hit, that has its consequences that no one really wants to think about. And even if he does well and is named the starter for here on out, the Texans' recent history of changing QBs when the going gets rough, will make anyone uncomfortable when Watson, eventually, has a bad game.

We basically invested our 1st and 2nd round picks on this guy, who is being touted as our franchise QB, and we are willing to throw him in 2 weeks in the season, after a whole summer of telling him that this would be a 'spectating/learn the game from the sidelines' year for him. Uhh, what?!

Fact is, our O-LIne is still going to suck (might even suck even more this week), our receivers and tight ends (the ones who aren't injured) cannot either get open enough or catch a ball, our defense looks weaker than expected, our run game is ehh, the play-calling is unimaginative, Savage got the majority of 1st string snaps and now he is the back-up, and Watson is dealing with/has an ankle injury.

Yet, we are going to start Watson on a short week.

Like, is this franchise asking for another 15+ years of total mediocrity? In my opinion, only bad things can happen with Watson starting this soon. This team might finally have their ticket out of mediocrity in a high potential young QB, and they are needlessly putting him out there not even 2 full weeks in his rookier season.

In other words, this seems like yet another instance of the Texans' faulty decision making (i.e. panicking) that is only going to set back this franchise even further.

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I would rather let the guy we drafted in the 4th round, who has been in the system for 4 years, who the coaching staff has billed as their starter the whole summer/training camp, who has received almost all of the snaps with the 1st team, who probably has no long term future with the team to weather the storm of this season...

...,than...

...letting the guy who, as you put it, essentially cost us 2 picks, who has always been a raw rookie QB with high potential, who is our only hope of one days being "the guy" to provide us with anything close to elite level QB play for the foreseeable future.

There is plenty of time to find out if Watson 'has what it takes". Till that time, I would have liked for us to at least have an adequate o-line and solid/really good run game, right now we have neither. Putting him in now, is asking for trouble.

20. Fantasma Negro