1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Buck Turgidson

I wish this had been the opener. If they play Maryland 2nd I think it's a totally different game.

Liked the way the D played, liked the way they used Heard, impressed with Ehlinger, hope Buechele is ok to start next week.

Bob Barker 007 and Hustle Town like this.
  2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

OL was much better. Warehime had the unit well-prepared - there were a lot fewer missed assignments and mental errors. San Jose State was outmatched physically, but the improvement in that area is a sign of progress.

I think Ehlinger was fine. Buechele has a much better arm. Ehlinger's athleticism is exciting to see. He will be useful down the road.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What would be in UT's best interest? OU or Ohio st to win tonight.

I suppose OU but I'm not sure. OU has taken many great Texas HS players over the years.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

OU. No question about it. The big 12 is under a huge microscope right now.

5. Buck Turgidson

Absolutely. Gary Danielson was all talking up TCU and the way they just manhandled Arky (not a great team, but decent and at home), talking along the lines of "the 'finesse' Big XII just made a statement".

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Playcalling was much better this week as well. Ehlinger' mobility is a nice wrinkle to the offense.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Linsanity made it happen.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

USC looks unstoppable
    Real test next week

9. Brando2101

They are going to be in the playoffs.

10. gucci888

Yup. Hate going for OU but the conference needs some good publicity right now. Must say they are looking pretty stout, can't say I don't mind the timing after Urbans little rant this week.

#9830 gucci888, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  11. Buck Turgidson

Well, unless they lose next weekend.

12. Brando2101

That would buy the big 12 another year.

I'll say this: I think this Texas team will play with much less mental anxiety on the road. They know it only takes 1 mistake to hear the boo birds at DKR right now.

13. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I work with a lot of USC grads, so this is going to be fun. Obviously, I'm hoping for a win, but my expectations are in check.

tinman likes this.
  14. Brando2101

Some bad news. Redshirt freshman Patrick Hudson is out for the year with a knee injury. He'll be able to claim a medial redshirt for this year so he'll have 4 years of eligibility at the start of his 3rd year at Texas. The plus for him is that he'll be able to grad transfer a couple years into his eligibility if things don't work out at Texas. The guys ahead of him on the depth chart will be a year further into their eligibility and he won't have much young competition since the 2017 OL class was awful.

There should be word by tonight about who starts on Saturday. I think it's unlike Shane is ready to go but a factor into the decision was if Shane was back practicing today.

I picked UT to beat Notre Dame last year. I think USC is going to win this weekend and it's not even close. I don't think I've been more sure of a Texas loss since I started following the team in 2003. That includes Mack's upset win against OU in his last year. This is just the absolute wrong year to play USC. That said, I'll be the first to celebrate if I'm wrong.

The only hope I have for this weekend is that this team will play 1000 better on the road which is certainly possible. I was at the game last weekend and there are boo birds on missed catches. I saw fans threw stuff on the field in the 1st game. I can't imagine what goes on in the punt and kick returners' minds while that ball is in the air.

The USC QB could murder our secondary. There were a lot of coverages last Saturday that would have been TDs against a good QB and USC might have the best QB in the country. He's at least the best pro style QB. I was disappointed UT didn't give Heard some more passes to attempt at the end of the last game. He needs to be some kind of passing threat in order to work more effectively as a QB when he's thrown in.

#9834 Brando2101, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The Big 12 is down because Texas and now Baylor is down.

K State is rolling again for the most part. OU is a legit playoff contender to favorite. Ok State has a shot. TCU is going to have a rebound season and just beat a SEC team.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why we pay Herman the big bucks.

If this game is competitive I'll be happy. USC has NFL ready players.

17. Bob Barker 007

Is anyone planning to go to the game? I'm planning on flying to Los Angeles for the weekend.

tinman likes this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If Texas wins this weekend, it would be the biggest upset for Texas that I can remember.

19. gucci888

Would be huge for sure. Hard to top this though.

rockbox and Buck Turgidson like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

"No question what's about to happen" -- good call Brent