1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017] Apple September Event

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Sep 11, 2017.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I seriously expected something a lot better for their anniversary. At this point there are just so many great phones out there, it's really hard to be impressed.

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

A grand! Lol jeebus... Did they release the iphone 8 price?

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The X looks very very nice. I'll try and get one for resale since their limiting production. No interest in replacing my iPhone 7 though the note 8 intrigues me. I like the idea of the stylus for certain things.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am rocking this IPhone 6 for like 5 more years. These prices are ridiculous for absurd features that I just don't care about.

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

699 but you start off with 64gb storage.

davidio840 likes this.
  6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Wow, I didn't realize AT&T ended the 2 year contract. I've had my phone for a while.

So y'all have just been buying the phones outright? If you just buy it do they still charge you a monthly service fee for the phone?

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My 6s screens is cracked as all hell. Like seriously f'd up.
    I got one quote 6 months back for like $200-$250 to replace.
    So I said f that....
    But $800-$1,150 for a new one... f'ing crazy.

Not sure what I'll do.

Also my last phones were bought at discount on 2 year contracts.
    Plus I am still with AT&T because I have been for years because of being grandfathered.
    But now all the unlimited plans that are available are better than grandfathered. I switched to AT&Ts unlimited plan a couple months back, but I know its not the best.

So now because of no contract discounts, I'll probably leave AT&T.
    And because the prices are so ridiculously high, I'll not upgrade phones as regularly.

I don't understand how the business model change helps either party, but whatever.

mrm32 likes this.
  9. Remix

Remix Member

I just replaced my iPhone screen that was pretty badly cracked everywhere for $130 plus tax at an apple store. $200-250 is way too much

Sajan likes this.
  10. JayZ750

Right... sounded too pricey to me... it was one of those mall kiosk things. I was taken a back.

I'll see what the apple store charges and just get it fixed and wait a couple more years.

I personally am not awed by wireless charging.
    I personally am not awed by slight better processing speeds and resolutions.
    I appreciate but am not personally awed by a 12 MP camera relative to a 10 MP camera, or a front facing 8 MP camera vs a 7 or 6 or whatever.

What I'd like would be an EVEN bigger screen. The X screen size is disappointing.

But even with that, $999 for a 64 GB version, with no expandable memory, is just cray cray.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Disappointed in the iPhone X. I feel comfortable sticking with my S7 Edge. Even though I prefer iOS for it's power and speed, $1,000 for iOS isn't worthwhile.

12. JayZ750

I'm still wondering why they didn't do true infinity edge (i guess couldn't get the oled tech they wanted), and why they did the X in the smaller form factor.
    If they did the X in the larger PLUS size phone, you'd be talking about a 6.3 inch+ display.
    Which would then compare against the 5.5 inch PLUS size displays. I large and meaningful difference.
    Instead, because they wanted to go smaller form factor (probably because of cost, but they'll say that smaller form factor is just more "natural"), you have a somewhat meaningless 0.3 inch difference.

I don't care if there's not a "bezel" on the top and bottom. I had no problem holding the phone in the first place... it didn't feel too large. It's not like I was walking around with an ipad mini in my pocket. It was still clearly "phone" size... and for that matter they just offered a new iphone 8 PLUS in the larger form factor still.

disappointing.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

DO NOT take your phone to a mall kiosk thing.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/screen-damage

I just replaced my 6 Plus screen for 150 with apple.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HDR 4K videos are the real deal though.

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I think Apple has cannibalized it's product lineup with all these different models. You have the iPhone 8 and then the iPhone X -- which is referred to as "iPhone 10" in the introduction video on Apple's website.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out the confusion this creates. Who wants to buy an 8 when there is already a 10 on the market?

My personal rule of shopping is always to spend a little extra for the best possible product. If you are going to drop $700-800 on a new phone, then why skimp on another few hundred dollars to get the inferior version? But that's just me.

However, there are a lot of people who will decide to just skip the iPhone 8 all together because the iPhone X is too expensive and their current iPhone 6 or 7 is good enough to get the job done.

Sajan likes this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

Why didn't they just call the 8...7S and 7S+?
    I am really confused at what they are going to do next year. Will it be 8S? What about X (10)?

AT&T, Verizon will charge $10 per month for Apple Watch Series 3 cellular data plans

17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Exactly my thoughts.

The 8 is too gimped to be a new numbered version. Just call it 7S and 7S Plus. Name the X something like "Jobs Edition" for the 10th anniversary as a one-off. Next year when the cost of all that advanced technology drops, put it in an affordable package and then call it iPhone 8.

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'm also with AT&T because of a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Only reason I'm staying.

19. JayZ750

The grandfathered plan actually ended up being worse than the new unlimited plan they offered. I switched to their new unlimited plan and it's cheaper and I get tethering and some other stuff.

But their unlimited plan isn't as good as many other carriers price wise.

I'll probably switch soon

The world is at least moving a little bit towards something simpler in that regard. Although not really because it seems not really unlimited at the same performance. Eventually you use too much they slow you down.

Icehouse likes this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, go to Apple store, super reasonable or buy a screen on Amazon for about $100 for a quality one, don't get ripped off, even w/ no tech experience Apple phones are the easiest to work on.

Apple got smart and hurt the mall kiosks, they finally charge reasonable repair prices at Apple.