1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, since we're talking about college numbers

209 completions 316 attempts for 66.1% and 2566 yards 24 TD 8 interceptions and a 154.3 rating
    238 completions 389 attempts for 61.2% and 2958 yards 21 TD 9 interceptions and a 138.2 rating

Which one is Aaron Rodgers and which one is Tom Savage's final season in college? With as close as the numbers are to each other, it must mean that both QB's fare the same in the NFL right?

Oh what's that? College numbers actually mean nothing once a player is in the NFL? I'm shocked.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well it's all but official, Watson is the starter now. Got all first team reps that the media could see today.

Let's hope this works out for him.

I just can't get over how incompetent this organization seems. All it took was one half of football where your QB was blitzed at an incredible rate to undo an entire offseason program. It just doesn't make sense. That tells me you didn't love Savage to begin with and you should have prepared differently.

I can't believe we are dealing with the OBrien yoyo for another year. Mike Meltzer is right, OBrien is a college coach and he's running this like a college team. NFL teams don't jump around with their starting QBs.

Nook and Mr. Clutch like this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i could give a **** about savages college stats. what i care about is propensity for winning or losing, his multiple transfers, multiple coaches who chose someone else over him, injuries, etc... you know meaningless **** like that.

and before you try and throw tebow in my face, watson's mechanics are steph curry-like compared to tebow summer olympic mechanics.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. ipaman

this is not true so please stop repeating it. 4 YEARS of practice and meeting rooms with a few starts sprinkled in between!!! That body of work along with the quick hook proves 4 year investment in Savage failed. That's 4 years and at least 4 opportunities to draft another project QB. to me that is on rick and the coaching staff. they wasted 4 years.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. ipaman

'aint nobody talking about college stats fool

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

ipaman likes this.
  7. ipaman

gotta be honest, them savage nut ridering excuse making defenders got me TRIGGERED!!!

8. justtxyank

Are you just trolling?

The whole offseason, training camp and preseason was built around Savage as the starter. He played one half of football and lost his job this year.

I'm not saying whether he should have lost his job, I'm commenting on how stupid it is that a guy you clearly don't have much faith in got treated like he was the lock for starter. Why wasn't there a real competition? Why not split reps with the first team?

I feel like OBrien has sabotaged this team. He decided Savage was the starter no matter what, gave him the vast majority of the reps and then 1 half into the season undoes it? It's just silly. If he felt Savage wasn't really a great option he shouldn't have treated him like a lock for the starting job.

BigM and Mr. Clutch like this.
  9. justtxyank

I think your inability to understand adult level reasoning is what has you triggered. You continue to make this ridiculous claim that anyone is nut riding for Savage when everyone is pretty down on him.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Inexcusable to go the entire camp giving Savage run with the first team if you're going to make a move like this 1/34 of the way through the season. That was a real slap dick move by BoB.

What ever the major malfunction is, there's no way that it didn't manifest itself until kickoff this past Sunday.

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

Savage was treated like the only QB option and then got replaced within 2 quarters. This is all on B'OB.

macho GRANDE, Nook and justtxyank like this.
  12. justtxyank

Exactly. I'm not praising Savage or knocking Watson, I'm criticizing OBrien's consistently poor management of the team. (Well the offense at least, doesn't seem to have control of the defense)

He either:
    1) Made a mistake not splitting the reps and having a true competition during camp/preseason
    OR
    2) Panicked and made a change he doesn't believe in

macho GRANDE, Nook and BigM like this.
  13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Y'all are hilarious.

Watson is and always has been the future once we surrendered those picks to Cleveland.

The problem is how much the coaching staff wasted everyone else on the team's time and efforts to convince everyone outside the team that Savage was the true starter.

Half of a game later and he's back on the bench... most of us gave him till at least week 4 and that was based on injury concerns.

All this sh** because our inadequate coaching staff and front office simply can't make the right call and can't figure sh** out. Let's run out the redshirt freshman and see where he takes us from here.

Thanks a lot Bill.

[​IMG]

Nook and justtxyank like this.
  14. ipaman

couldn't agree more. yes that is a huge mistake. should have never given him the job and instead have a competition. i've said that since day one.

that said, i'm happy it was a half and not 4 or 6 games to find out what i already know.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I argue that college performance is irrelevant compared to NFL performances such as preseason and in game 1 after hearing over and over again about Tom Savage in college and Deshaun Watson in college and I get this as a response...

I disagree, but then show that Aaron Rogers' performance his final year of college was similar to Tom Savage in order to dismiss the notion that college performance matters when it comes to player in the NFL. To that I get this response

Which is REALLY confusing, but then I get the clarification below

That means that you don't care about how a player actually performed in college as you were saying previously, you were talking about "just winz" in college all along....which I guess makes sense given your position on Watson.....but then it takes me back to earlier when I pointed out that no QB that had "just winz" in college enough to get a national championship as a QB won a SB since Joe Montana.....which indicates that maybe, just maybe "just winz" in college means even less than "just winz" means in the NFL.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. ipaman

nobody ever said specifically stats. 8 years total body of work is all i ever talked about without specifics because they're irrelevant. you focus on specifics like you have autism just to frame your useless point. waste of time to play those games and it doesn't matter your boy savage is done.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Stats are a representation of performance, which is why I figured that's what you were talking about. I certainly wouldn't have thought you were just talking about "just winz" given how laughably ridiculous those people are who cling to such notions.

Also, it's funny that you think I'm the one being biased here while you are going full on Skip Bayless on this board.

18. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

marky :) and justtxyank like this.
  19. ipaman

disqualified on the count you took up my entire screen. won't even read it, try again.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

C'mon Skip, give it a chance, you might learn something.