1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Meltdown

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Dankstronaut, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

There's no way this team's locker room isn't as divided as opening the box to do a puzzle.

BO'B and Rick, Rick and BO'B gotta go. They've destroyed every ounce of chemistry McNair paid for at Greenbriar, in one half of football. They've bungled every roster decision for years in a row, it's going to take YEARS to clear the dead weight and rebuild. This isn't 14-15 where the talent was still there they just needed a new captain. This is an offense almost devoid of talent (or healthy people) and an over-invested defense that still lacks fortitude or depth. This is it, it has to be over now.

You see the support they get pre-game, you see how much they care to stick around into the 4th quarter and you still have some slap ass backup PRO QB telling paying customers what's acceptable or not.

This is how you lose fans. Just ask the Astros.

RasaqBoi and Mr. Clutch like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Except the Astros were TRYING to lose! :) There's no incentive for Texans to lose/tank given they don't have picks in the first or second round of next year's draft.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is like later years Drayton, when he stopped investing in the farm and the draft and overpaid guys like Carlos Lee.

4. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Yeah, the Astros sold off everyone but Biggio and even though we all loved to see him reach the milestones he did it was at the detriment of the team. They deserved the years of empty seats and frankly, so do the Texans.

And y'all are right. There's no incentive to tank here. It took the Astros 10 years or so to recover from all that. Now the pipeline/re-investing process in baseball is a bit slower but given there are no blue chips in the Texans future...that's at least one year that they aren't going to change much. A full rebuild might be another 3-5 years after that, hopefully by the time Watson is in his prime. JJ, sad to say, isn't going to be here by then or at least won't be the player we know and love. Geez, at what point does he ask to be traded? I feel like that's coming for sure now.

5. Mr. Clutch

Bill O'Brien already starting the usual leaks to cover his ass.

He does this every year. Last year it was "O'Brien didn't want Brock." Now it's Rick doesn't want to fix the Duane Brown situation.

“Again, I have no idea,” O’Brien told reporters on Monday. “I really don’t. I really wouldn’t be able to answer that question at all. I coach the team. The thing that I am in charge of is what you saw yesterday which wasn’t very good and we are trying to work better at it. I’m in charge of what happens on Sundays, who plays and how we play. Other than that, I don’t really have anything to report to you because I don’t know.”

The man who does know is G.M. Rick Smith. But, as one source with knowledge of the situation puts it, Smith seems to have little or no motivation to get the situation fixed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/11/regardless-of-quarterback-texans-need-duane-brown/

6. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

A divided locker room, the result of a divided front office. Makes sense.

There's zero chance the team isn't splitting on who should play QB. There's zero chance the team isn't splitting on whether Brown should be here already or get paid or whatever. There's zero chance the defense isn't looking at it's offense with disdain. There's zero chance guys coming up on contracts are fully committed to the Texans, or don't look at guys getting re-upped like JAY PROSCH and say, "not me but that guy? really?" There's zero chance the veterans aren't looking around at each other saying, "this **** again?" There's zero chance the rookies and young players aren't looking around saying, "man, what did I get myself into?" The interest of free agents right now has to be purely at monetary influence, because team reasons are at an all time low.

These guys have to go. The offense sucks and the roster has gigantic flaws. I mean, WHAT ARE THEIR JOBS??? Right now it's to put together a complete team (failed) and to put together a professional offense (failed).

Idk front office situations well enough to comment on a replacement other than to say there is someone out there who is capable of doing the job, even til the end of the season. Not like anything big is coming anyway.

What I do know, is that Vrabel should be the interim HC by Friday. Romeo can be his assistant/DC and it literally doesn't matter who is OC is at this point.

#6 Dankstronaut, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    RasaqBoi and Mr. Clutch like this.
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Vrabel...the one that couldn't put a plan to stop one of the worst starting qb's in the league? Obviously it does matter who is OC. O'Brien isn't getting fired this week. It's not going to happen.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

So if the Texans come out and beat the Bengals by 30 are we going to start making plans for the parade?

ramotadab likes this.
  9. baubo

baubo Member

The Texans have never been run well as an organization. They've only been inflated in their records because ever since Peyton Manning left they've played against 3 rebuilding teams. If the Texans were actually in a competitive division people would've seen through the ineptitude way earlier. But instead every season people think they're almost there cause they're always in the playoff discussion... not because they're good, but because they're lucky.

10. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Vrabel, the guy who still might have a chance to be a good HC someday and is the only in-house option, yes. Also, the defense is catching a little heat for the score and not to say they played well but once again the offense is putting them behind the 8 ball several times a game. If it's back to Romeo calling the shots, I'd feel better about them as a unit. It's not as if anyone from the offensive coaching staff is deserving.

What are the chances 30 total points gets scored in that game? Last year was 10-12, year before 10-6. These teams dook it out for FGs.

Also, hell no.

They've definitely made it through a weak division to get to the post season a couple times, I'm not going to discount their banners but they've always been a team that can't get over on the big time teams. They struggle to play at night and on prime time TV. Kinda says something that the Bengals are your rivalry team. That's the best team you've played tough against and won against.

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Great posts & thread.

I agree with everything you said @Derp McFlopsky

I know it's one loss but it goes way deeper than that. I just think the way the organization is ran, the secret decisions / moves. We are this and that, it is very clear nobody there knows what is happening week by week.

We can point fingers at the O line, QB, etc. I just feel it starts from the top & with the players we have, this is not going to work.

Texans will always have the fans but I feel a very bad year coming. Bob fired, insert another dummy head coach. Rick has to go as well. Entire front office has to re-brand.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

So why all this reaction after one game? A game with so many injuries for the Texans against a very talented Jags defense and a patchwork offensive line.

13. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

First off, it isn't 1 game in a vacuum and I find it a bit disingenuous for you to pretend like it is. I'm going to go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt on that.

Secondly, the Jaguars aren't not world beaters but they sure put a thumping on the Texan's collective ass anyway. I don't think that is up for debate. Not only did they win, they manhandled the Texans. It wasn't a hard fought loss, a close defeat. It was a pummeling. ONCE AGAIN, the Texans are ill-prepared, with no sense of urgency or desperation or really emotion.

Lastly, the OL patchwork job was done by none other than the two fellas I wish to remove. There's exactly 2 players worth keeping right now and they both play center. 1 is unproven.

#13 Dankstronaut, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  14. Mr. Clutch

Jags were supposed to be the worst team in the worst division and they crushed us at home.

It wasn't like we lost to the Patriots

juanm34 likes this.
  15. Nimo

Nimo Member

With this current team, it is one game. The one annoying thing about Bill O'Brien's tenure here is that he always has at least one game where the team looks so unprepared and outcoached and his job is on the line. Then they beat up some bad teams and are 9-7. At this point, most fans would take 9-7 as a success after Sunday's embarrassment. This game shouldn't change how you feel about the team as it shouldn't if they win by 30 on Thursday night. This frustration should have been here all off-season lol.

I'm on "record" saying they should have kept Mancz at center and played Martin at guard. Let the other guys battle for the other starting guard spot.
    i'm also on "record" saying they should have negotiated with Duane Brown. They did it for JJ, they did it for AJ; so why all of a sudden do they think if they do it know it will open the flood gates. Those three guys have been the most important players of this franchise. Pay the guy. I don't mind that they didn't draft a lineman earlier because I actually like their early draft picks. But knowing that and knowing Davenport won't be ready this year; that's more reason why they should have made sure Duane was here. At least negotiate with him. The fact that they didn't do that is more frustrating than the result of Sunday's game. They are better than they played and they will play better. But still not good enough. They'll probably limp to another 9-7 campaign and call it a success smh.

For the record, I think the offense will fair better with all the pieces back. Strong, Fuller, and all three tight ends. And hopefully more of Foreman.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Colts are the worst team in the division. The jags have way too much talent on defense and at running back to go 4-12 again. They are going to win games. I didn't expect them to win on Sunday but maybe I should have with that d-line and the Texans o-line.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The Pats also gave up 42 points to the Chiefs at home. Yes our game was way worse than the box score showed but it's still one game.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Put me in the camp that spent the offseason warning people that the Jags were better than being given credit for. I said they could be better than us.

I think @Bobbythegreat mocked that a couple of times when I said it.

The Texans haven't done much to improve since OBrien has been here. Nearly every move that has been made on offense has made us worse. For four straight years.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup. I truly didn't see it at the time. I didn't think there was any way the O line could be that bad, I didn't see how the defense could be that incompetent. It's certainly not the first time I was wrong about something, and it won't be the last. All you can do is accept the new information and move on with the different perspective.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

"Doesn't matter, Brian. 9-7 Brian. AFC South Champs, Brian."

justtxyank likes this.