1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson Or Savage? Who would you like to see lead the Texans week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nigel Thornberry, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Watson or Savage

1. Deshaun Watson

66.7%
  2. Tom Savage

33.3%
  1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Honestly might as well let Watson go in, it's y u traded so much for him. If this is a losing season at least Watson will get some experience.

Nigel Thornberry and Cstyle42 like this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

In only half a game. If he would have started the game, they would adjusted at halftime and come out more relaxed and ready second half. It's his thing. That's what he does.

Nigel Thornberry likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, well keep hope alive.

4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I agree. We probably aren't going to win many games this year. I have long term concerns about Watson too. I could see his short/medium accuracy improving, but that deep ball is horrendous. I am hoping as he settles into the role, and relaxes, we see slow, steady improvements. There are no guarantees.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Savage is a statue, he can't do anything back there & will get killed behind the OL. Insert Watson, at least he can run."

So one guy will get hurt in the pocket, the other guy will get hurt out of the pocket running.

Yes, Tom Savage feels like more of the same. (Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Mallett, Osweiler aka going nowhere) and yes, Watson does have a legs advantage but that's about it. As a passer? Nope, from limited preseason & game one action, not yet.

Sunday: 12-23 102 yards 1 TD 1 INT 60.4 rating

So as they say, you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterbacks. Texans still don't have a quarterback(or at the very least, question marks). And it wouldn't be the B'OB Texans without changing the QB during/after the first game.

Roll back with Tom for now . . . I guess.

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

They drop Watson's passes too. This happened many times to both qb's. When Watson came in the texans had 0 points. Flags or not je st least gets the team in field goal range. This is without practicing with the 1's for 3 months too. This boy is a rookie Tom Savage is not and Savage is still yet to produce as s nfl starter should in real season games.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That's my whole point!

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Finding a good QB is easily the most difficult task in all of sports and unless you have one you might as well give up any chance off winning a chip.

The management failure this year is the OL. Not doing what's necessary to get Brown in uniform and not addressing it earlier in the draft.

10. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

we get it you dont think Watson will suceed,
    So Savage is a more accurate passer after being in the system for 4 years- Great.. but the dude takes forever to make a decision. The rook came in and had a quicker release although he wasn't as sync with the receivers as Savage, but i think this will come with him getting more pratice with the 1's. Dont get me wrong i do see the inaccuracy, but I also see flashes that give me hope.. Savage is a statue, he will never be a #1 QB, he couldn't beat out Osweiler, let that sink in.

Fulgore likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will a few more games make Watson more accurate of a passer? He is clearly not as accurate as Savage, and that hurts us as far as having any type of deep pass threat. Savage is more capable of hitting Hopkins or Strong with a bullet, if he can get even a little better protection, or get out of a collapsing pocket. Is it easier to teach someone techniques for escaping pressure or to teach a guy how to throw a ball accurately? Everyone says Watson needs experience to learn, but nobody seems to think Savage can get better with time, which is weird to me, since he barely has any real game experience himself. Either way, they are both going to learn bad habits if our GM doesn't fix this offensive line.

Sure, Watson was able to extend a lot of plays running around to escape pressure, but his long passes were pretty awful, and that is something I worry about. He had two long out of reach and out of bounds passes, and quite a few short passes thrown so low and to the ground the receivers couldn't get them. I see a lot of interceptions coming with him, and the growing experience will surely have a lot of highs and lows with that.

Oh how I wish we had drafted up for Mahomes instead of letting Kansas City beat us to the punch. Meanwhile, Derek Carr had a QB rating of 114.3 this week and what did Su'a-Filo do? I really need to quit thinking of what ifs, because there will be more coming for sure. Thanks Rick!

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think Savage is any good, but yikes. That's a good breakdown.

No one is telling O'Brien who to play. He's just being O'Brien.

Don't worry, Savage will come back in the second half.

13. marky :)

marky :) Member

Seems
    Yup. Basically how I feel about this QB situation.

The 1st unit looked way out of sync with Watson but I guess it's expected when he basically didn't get any game reps with them until the first game. But you know, B'OB gonna B'OB

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If you watch guys like Derek Carr, Russel Wilson, Cam Newton their rookie years with Better offensive lines you would see they struggled with similar things. It's one game.

It is one freaking game...

macho GRANDE and Fulgore like this.
  15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If you're not Aaron Rodgers in your first ever game you're pretty much a bust. You should know that ;)

macho GRANDE likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Exactly, so why is everyone acting like Savage should be out. Watson isn't near as accurate. The odds of Savage getting sacked 6 times again are pretty low. The odds of Watson still throwing off target are pretty high.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

O'Brien didn't want to send Savage out there to get killed again in the 2nd half. Our offensive line was terrible and he knew that it wasn't going to get any better in the 2nd half. He probably pulled Savage for his own good since if he had stayed in he may have gotten hurt again. I think he's going to start Savage Thursday and hope the o-line does a better job.

deb4rockets likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm not sure how much Russel Wilson and Derek Carr struggled their rookie years. Heck, Derek was 21 TD and 12 INT. Russel was 26 TD and 10 INT. Regardless, both our guys have to work with what Rick has given them for protection, which is pretty sad. I'm sure they weren't expecting Duane to be a d_ _ _, and hold out like he is, but they still didn't do much in free agency or the draft to address the problem with Derek Newton's injuries.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So what was O'Brien doing in training camp, exactly?