1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson Or Savage? Who would you like to see lead the Texans week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nigel Thornberry, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Watson or Savage

1. Deshaun Watson

66.7%
  2. Tom Savage

33.3%
  1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah it's ironic that these same people are quick to find every weakness they can point out on Watson as a rookie. Savage been in the league more thsn a few years and hasn't dont anything yet. I hope they put him in week 2 to give him another chance at throwing a td pass.

ipaman and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Hopefully he will get in a game one day where he's playing in a perfect world football game where he can make decisions as fast or as slow as he needs to to look better.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no need to "defend" anything, he did a damn good job when no one else on the team did. Pointing out how well he did despite how awful everyone around him was playing isn't really defending him, it's giving him the credit he deserves.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Tom Savage has YET to throw a TD pass in the NFL. That is all you need to know.

ipaman, RasaqBoi and Fulgore like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How about in a world where his receivers catch the passes that hit them in the hands? That would have been sufficient.

I mean, he had less than 3 seconds to get the ball out and still never threw a pick and threw every pass accurately other than the one where he was hit from behind while throwing.....compare that to your boy who came in and threw 2 picks (although he got bailed out by a flag on one of them)

6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Deshaun did it in his first drive in the NFL :eek::eek::eek:

ipaman and Fulgore like this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He also has no interceptions. Watson already has one. Should have two.

And to be clear I don't think either one of them is any good

8. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

I don't know why Houston always has QB issue. We always have QB issue every year. We just have poor management.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Savage has one interception in 2014

10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

It wasn't all on Savage. He certainly throws a good ball, but in the end it was his limitations (mobility, slow decision making) that forced the change. I thought he did some things well, but obviously not well enough. He is not the guy to have out there behind this O-line. It's time to roll with Watson, if he isn't hurt.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He wasn't really making slow decisions, he just had absolutely no time to get the ball out.....and even when he did and hit his receivers in the hands, they weren't catching them. That said, sure, it's a bad idea to have a pocket passer QB on a team with no pocket whatsoever. Tom Brady would look like ass in that situation.

Watson really struggles at throwing the ball accurately and not getting intercepted, but he can run for his life better than Savage can so maybe that's what is best.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Weeden might seriously have been our best QB

RasaqBoi and J.R. like this.
  13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I just don't think we can throw Savage out there with our O Line... his concrete feet are not doing him any favors.

Neither guy looked great but at least Deshaun has a good feel for when to leave the pocket.

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I wish we could put savage in a situation where he had all day to throw all the time. But, that isn't realistic. That first drop of Hopkins on that deep ball was awful. But I don't want to act like nothing is savages fault. he didn't get it done. I think it was idiotic to pull him after a half. But it's done now. It was inevitable honestly, but we have to leave Watson in the fire IMO

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

This flip flop qb change is embarrassing. It will happen a few times this year.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You all should stop with the panic mode. I told y'all that Watson has to start and play a full game in order to be effective. He makes a couple of bad throws early then tears it up late (when it counts). Never pretty but effective.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn't need "all day", just some time before getting hit. Let's face it, Watson needs that time too, it's why he fumbled the ball away too. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm expecting a ton of interceptions from Watson because the kid simply can't throw the ball accurately and he stares down his intended target WAY too often. He'll have a fun fun flash plays where he runs for a first down or whatever, but I don't see him at QB leading to many wins.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He did exactly the opposite yesterday. He looked decent with dink and dunk stuff early and then the defense adjusted to it and he threw 2 picks (he got bailed out on one) and fumbled the ball away. He looked worse and worse with each new possession.

19. Malaya

Malaya Member

It's the QB's job to inspire confidence and toughness in his guys. What I saw from Savage was a guy under duress and making no adjustments at all. Creating uncertainty in his receivers.

I saw Watson being decisive and making quick decisions. He always had Lamar Miller lined up with him at the back. Perhaps Miller was helping him decipher the defense, get everyone lined up. I saw Watson talking to Miller before they huddled up.

It's just leadership. No matter what hand is given you, no excuses.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Tom Savage has yet to throw a one hundred yard + game this season. Watson has done it in every game. In limited minutes.