1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cavs shopping hard for Demarcus Cousins

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by aussie rocket, Sep 3, 2017.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Gordon doesn't like NOP but the Pelicans also don't like him.
    It was mutual in the end.

So yes I for one will be shocked if the Pelicans are interested in getting him back. Flip him to another team? Then if it's a 4 or 3 team deal it's different but not for a trade that Gordon ends up back in New Orleans.

Pen15clubber and YOLO like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

yeah that's what I'm saying, EGO can say he hates NO because really that's a crap org but I don't see how NO can hate on Gordon. I mean sure once EGO says he hates No then NO can turn around and say well we didn't want your injured ass anyway but still if EGO didn't say that I there's really no reason for NO to hate on him, he played great whenever he was healthy.

3. malakas

malakas Member

By the end the relationship of the organisation with him wasn't good. Some in the organisation even blamed (unjustified or not ) his lifestyle for getting/aggravating some of his injuries.
    Ofcourse it's apparent that the NOP medical staff is the most or second most (after the Bulls) incompetent in the league but nonetheless, the Pelicans werent interested in him and he wasn't in them. Sour relationship.

The only way that they are involved in a Gordon for Cousins deal is if literally we are the only ones who are offering anything of positive value and they have found somewhere else to flip him straight up.

4. basketballholic

Interesting question. 90% of Melo's remaining salary is $48,754,710. Let's assume that Melo would accept being stretched as part of the terms of agreeing to a 90% buyout. That's a cap hit of $9,750,942 over the next five years for the Knicks. Anderson is owed $61,264,636 over the next three years with salaries of 19+, 20+, and 21+ over next three seasons. Tobias owed 30+ over 2 years?

The Knicks objective is to get Melo off the books for 18-19. Giving him 90% of his contract doesn't do that. That's why they're pursuing all possible trades. And is why they don't want Anderson. But...the bottom line is Anderson owed $41 million over two seasons after 2018 is going to be easier to move than Melo owed $26 million for one season with a no trade clause. (Think about that reasonably for a couple minutes.)

5. basketballholic

Look, if DeMarcus wants out at the deadline it means the Pels are dead in the water. They're not going anywhere. They'll take Gordon. He's an asset. If they can't flip him to a contender immediately for a first they'll hold him until the draft. It's no big deal. And it certainly won't hinder a trade of DeMarcus if DeMarcus wants out and tells them he's leaving.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

what scares me about holding onto anderson's contract till next summer (and this applies as a rockets fan as well in the case that he's not moved)......is his extensive injury history.

basically once he goes out for a month with something, nobody is ever taking on that contract until it gets much closer to an expiring

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fake news. Enjoy your ban. ;)

Woj: The question people are asking now is should the Cavs flip that Nets pick for an impact player this year. It is not happening. That's not why they traded for that pick. ... They're not doing that. That's not the plan in Cleveland. The risk of trading that pick to be stuck with someone else who doesn't fit a rebuild, they won't let themselves be in the position of having to take years to untangle that roster. They're holding onto that pick.

Zach Lowe: My question was who is it going to be? The most popular name is DeMarcus Cousins. It's not going to be DeMarcus Cousins. The only way it's DeMarcus Cousins is if LeBron says "DeMarcus Cousins is my new best friend, I love DeMarcus Cousins, if you trade for DeMarcus Cousins, I'll sign on a piece of paper that I'm coming back & he'll come back here too." Who else? It's not Paul George anymore. Not Marc Gasol or Mike Conley. I don't know who it would be.

AW: They had to make a decision about how to go forward here. That's part of why Kyrie was looking to beat it out of town before LeBron. Kyrie didn't want his future dictated by LeBron's decision. He was going to get ahead of it. For him, he made the right decision. That Cleveland thing will be interesting.

ZL: That Nets pick will be a day-to-day standings watch. There are people relatively high on the Nets. I get why. I'm lower on the Nets. Lopez was crucial to any competency they displayed. Who are we sure is worse than the Nets? Suns?

AW: Atlanta & Chicago?

ZL: Probably worse but close. Kings probably worse. I would guess the pick is like 4. I don't buy that it could be 8 or they could chase a playoff spot. If the Knicks trade Melo for very little or buy him out, they'll be terrible. That Nets pick will be day to day. Boston is sweating. They'll be pissed if that's the #1 pick in the draft.

Williamson likes this.
  8. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Conley and ALlen were hurt

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Conley missed the first game. And even if Allen was hurt, the Warriors rendered him useless by refusing to cover him on defense and begging him to shoot.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Once LeBron leaves Cleveland goes back to being out of the playoffs for a long time. They had 3 no 1 picks what good did it do them?

11. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

cousins is on an expiring and would not trust him to resign vs getting at top 3 pick. You take the pick here easy and trade it for a star or draft someone

12. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I don't know. I feel pretty much every team has a shot at the playoffs in the east, where losing records can still get you a spot.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

They did get Kyrie with one & Kevin Love with the other two. :p

In all seriousness, not that great. But they're not one player away either.

I'm gonna trade a top 8 pick for an expiring DeMarcus Cousins? NO!

And who else is out there?

1-1 Kyrie Irving(-->Jae Crowder, Isaiah Thomas, Ante Zizic, 2018 1st & 2020 2nd)
    1-4 Tristan Thompson
    1-4 Dion Waiters(-->Iman Shumpert, J.R. Smith & 2016 1st; 1st was sent to Denver for Timofey Mozgov)
    1-1 Anthony Bennett(-->Kevin Love)
    1-1 Andrew Wiggins(-->Kevin Love)

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Man, that Anthony Bennett year was one of the worst years ever to have the #1. I wonder if Morey had the pick would he have traded way down to nab Giannis at #10 or sumpin, or maybe trades way down to take Gobert as a euro-stash. Probably not....He probably trades down a few spots to take Nerlens Noel like holic would have.

15. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Theres no way hes going to end up with the cavs too thus more chance for lebron to htwon