1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Billionaire Tilman Fertitta Buys Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Sep 5, 2017.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hahaha, yeah I'm sure he turned down $4bn bids due to Fertitta's capability.

Richie_Rich and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

complete opposite. Go getter. Aggressive as hell. We might have players that smoke weed and prostitution charges haha.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Shittttt. If DD likes this, it might be a bad deal?!? Lol jk man. But I'm not haha.

4. the shark

the shark Member

Tinman has a heart attack as a Cougar now owns the Rockets!!!!

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Kiss of death confirmed. FML

tmactoyao, BigMaloe, Nook and 4 others like this.
  6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Sterling also had a lengthy history of discrimination lawsuits and other legal issues... Not feeling the doomsday comparison.

Nook likes this.
  7. SamFisher

Being committed to being "efficient" can be either in pursuit of saving money or winning basketball games.

These two things are not always aligned.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ballmer is a tech billionaire'

Those guys are in another stratosphere in wealth.

Fertitta is very wealthy by most standards. Don't have to worry about him bleeding the Toyota Center dry

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

cant begin to describe how much I hate this.

This team was just bought using substantially all this mans assets. If your net worth is 3.1 billion, that doesn't mean you have 3.1 billion in cash it means it's the value of all the **** you own. He isn't selling Landrys or the Golfen Nugget to buy this. This means he financed the purchase, which means ridiculous interest rates and he is relying on the Rockets as a source of income to service the loan.

The Rockets, as a non tax team make about 30 - 60 million dollars a year. Ina normal buisiness model that means it should sell for about 5x that. The scarcity of the product drove the price up, and that does not help us.

The Warriors are looking at 300 - 400 m in a few years, the Cavs had 100+m tax bill. This man will never be able to afford anything like that.

This is terrible for the Rockets. We needed an owner with ridiculous amounts of money who would do anything to win, we got the exact opposite.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Glad we got one person instead of a group and also very glad we got a native Houstonian... now let's just hope he puts trust in his staff and gets out of the way.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yup.
    And everything this guy does is financed.
    He is a shell game guy. Credit is how he built all those joes crab shacks.

I wouldnt be surprised if he sells out in year or so - as soon as those loan payments come due.

Terrible news

13. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

You definitely don't know that. 71% of his net worth is in this team. That's too damn much. This **** will get old real quick.

14. SamFisher

Exactly.

Les was in the black with his Rockets acquisition a long time ago.

Now the team has to factor in "paying for themselves" into their budget, which will necessarily impact the on-court product.

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

And here I was hoping Mattress Mack would pull all the cash from under his mattress and make a move.

Fertitta... Fertatta -- it all sounds like cheese to me!

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I think all he has to do is listen to Morey and his suggestions and everything will be fine

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bring back another Landry, Carl Landry.

One thing we can tick off. Rocket's sale done.

Vin2k2 likes this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

19. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

What's your point? Yes, many restaurateurs do this, especially the uber-successful ones. My point is that I'd be suspicious of anyone who has made their money through cynical efficiency rather than innovation. Buying distressed assets, laying off everyone, finding ways to spend less and charge more make you very good at making money, but is that profile that makes me excited for you to run my basketball team? No, not even a little bit.

If the evidence was that Fertitta made his money by focusing on making the best product for the least amount of money, with innovative and creative supply chain solutions, applying big data to how he runs his restaurants, taking big calculated risks but maybe was a jerk to his employees and difficult to work for...I could get behind that. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I second everyone's "Tillman is going to turn this thing into a penny-pinching, price-gouging, turd factory" fears.

But, at the same time, I'm going to give him an opportunity to prove me wrong.

IBTL, AroundTheWorld and Matt78777 like this.