1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Billionaire Tilman Fertitta Buys Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Sep 5, 2017.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A sad day to see Les Alexander go. He wasn't the best owner, but he tried hard to put up a good team. His heart was in for a 3rd NBA Championship in Houston.

Good luck for the new owner. Go Houston Rockets!

Vivi, Nook and J.R. like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Multiple owners could result in a bunch of infighting. There could be a bunch of different agendas.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lake Charles could do with more strip clubs. The closest good one was temptations in Sulphur, LA and even that sucked

Tilly should open something in Golden Nugget, Lake Charles. harden and Anthony Davis can meet up there so Harden can recruit AD to Houston

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'd give it a little time before making that kind of judgement. Why would he spend that kind of money only to see the product decline? Doesn't make any sense.

The only type of owner worse than a scrooge is one that spends just to spend. The league is littered with bad owners who just throw money at things.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, because fandom is mixed into it. Either a lack of fandom (Like previous clipper owner) or rabid fandom like Mark Cuban which can work for you or work against you if they make too many impulsive moves.

A good thing to have is an owner that is a huge fan of his team but delegates all the basketball stuff to the basketball people.

He doesn't have to change it to be a meddler either.

He could be a rabid fan, want success immediately, and screw things up. All of a sudden we are throwing in Clint Capela to get Melo. If we see something like this go down, we know it wasn't entirely Morey's decision.

Prokohrov (sp?) is an example of this. Wanted to win immediately and made that horrible trade with Boston.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Les is a getter.
    Do you REALLY want me to go through the list? It starts with names like barkley, drexler, pippen and continues to this day with chris paul. We are ALWAYS in the mix

MoonBus and Pen15clubber like this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This new owner is going to care more about recouping his 2.2 billion dollar investment, first and foremost, win or lose.

IBTL likes this.
  8. FTW Rockets FTW

Les was a great owner. Stop trying to rewrite history. He only knew one word - WIN

Les = WIN

IBTL likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You may not like what he does to restaurants but what he touches turns to gold.

Kemah wouldn't be a revenue producing tourist attraction without the boardwalk.

Pleasure peer is great for Galveston. This guy is awesome for southeast TX. Doesn't matter if you don't like the changes to your favorite eatery. There are plenty choices of places to eat here

seeingred likes this.
  10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

https://www.forbes.com/sites/calebm...a-secret-its-not-about-the-food/#6a4b9313df9c

Key Quotes:

If Fertitta runs the Rockets like his businesses, this isn't good news. I remain cautiously optimistic though that he'll run the Rockets like a billionaire with a toy, and not a business.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

What I DO like about this, is that Fertitta is a longtime Rockets fan. This is a good thing I believe. It seems some people are concerned that Fertitta won't be able to spend big when the time comes. I disagree with this. Because he is a fan, I think that makes him more likely to do whatever is needed to win a title.

Matt78777 likes this.
  13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Anyone know what transition period will be like? Will Tillman be the owner first game of the season?

14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

I hope you are right. but dont forget he just spent 2.2 bil. 2.2 bil are not small numbers, he might try to recover those numbers first, if you know what I mean. I hope I am wrong

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Both involve Entertainmant, Hospitality, and F&B

GSW's owners come from Entertainment and Investment businesses

Spurs owner comes from a Tractor business

Cavs owner comes from an investment, real estate, and accounting software businesses

BBall Goat MJ owns the Bobcats

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

This just isn't true. The Golden Nugget properties have improved greatly. Huge improvements in Las Vegas and Atlantic City.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. FTW Rockets FTW

It's safe to say:

Tilman Fertitta >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Booby MacNair

Nook and RasaqBoi like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hell yes, this is a great day!

DD

IBTL and RasaqBoi like this.