1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Nationals @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 22, 2017.

1. fiersdownbelow

It's not so much that we can't beat good teams, it's that we play like little leaguers against them. Coach Hinch is a cuck but should have enough gumption to put these guys in their place. They have the talent but the spirit is not there.

Anyway, game ball should go to whoever kicks Marisnick in the nuts for allowing that last run. TRASH defense prevented an easy win tonight.

2. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

3. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

By statistics Astros did perfect one run a inning for a guy who allow 1 run per inning

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Compare those 17 catchers' GP vs McCann.

Gattis and Centeno seem to suck too in the PB regard.

#424 Houstunna, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

These August swoons have happened three years in a row.

Fyreball, everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Not sure how you're so pissed at Clippard here. He's been 0's since he showed up, and then today allows a lazy 3rd baseman to screw him, a K / wild pitch that could've been stopped, and a weak sac fly for his first 3 batters.

Didn't get the job done, but I'm not sure I'd ask for more out of my 4th RP in extras. Pitched well enough to get 3 outs, and somehow it turned into runs scoring. (Yeah, after that the gapper was legit.)

Fyreball, Rox225 and Nook like this.
  7. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why hasn't this team had a players only meeting?

Houstunna likes this.
  8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

And the FreeFall continues.

Playoffs can easily right the ship, though.

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

We just suck right now. No other explanation. Don't have the juice right now.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  10. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

The global offensive slump is unfathomable at this point. The consistently poor defense too is most concerning. Maybe Correa coming back will be the catalyst this team needs

11. fiersdownbelow

Agreed, I thought Clippard pitched well. Wouldn't blame him for wanting to go back to his old team now either.

12. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

C'mon...let's sweep the Angels and Rangers, get everyone back for the Mets series, and get this party started.

It makes me happy to see Correa's name in a box score again. So far he's 1-3 with 2 RBIs (single and sac fly).

Nook likes this.
  13. HTM

HTM Member

Of all the teams in the league to get traded to he didn't do too bad.

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Astros might mess around and win <95 games. An 18-17 finish gets them 95.

Let's hope Correa's return surges them to 100, then major postseason success.

15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Hurricane Season's peak is distracting them. Their Septembers have sucked too.

16. SemisolidSnake

I've seen plenty of Astros teams have absurdly wild swings between team slumps and team near-godliness. The offensive collapse is just so Astros it hurts.

I have NEVER, though, seen a professional baseball team kill themselves with fielding before now. That one really perplexes me. I've always seen fielding at this level as the mundane part that everybody gets. Some teams are better than others, but it's not a huge, season-changing thing. Exceptional, gold-glove fielders make plays that would otherwise be hits for most fielders. But this team, they're making errors that are costing them multiple games. It's just...."weird" is the only word I can think of.

Regarding Correa, that's been on my mind as well. The team seems to have cratered in his absence. Just about everyone else is back. So, I think to myself, occasionally, "Is this guy, like, the leader of the team or something? Is it HIS absence that's caused this unbelievable turnaround? He's only 22 years old." Obviously, it would be silly to pull causation from correlation here. Unless the team completely picks back up when he returns. That would be so....again, weird.

What I do wonder, though, is who the hell actually IS the leader of this team? The logical answer, given what we've seen is...nobody.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The humbling and perplexing nature of a 162 game marathon should never be forgotten, but I wonder if Hinch's strengths (willingness to think outside the box and unflappability) might also be part of his weaknesses as a manager (weird handling of the pitching staff and passivity). I don't know.

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

These fools aren't even playing defense.

19. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I still believe that this team has what it takes. We just need to get hot in September and October and we win it baby!

#BELIEVE

Houstunna likes this.
  20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Tough loss. A bunch of small mistakes added up to a loss (We should have never given up more than 1 run in this game). When we made good contact of Strasburg, we found gloves. Very frustrating when the team hasn't been playing well to lose games like this.