1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Jan 3, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

When I went to the S6 my phone rooting days ended. I occasionally get the bug, and then replace the ROMs on my tablets (N7 2013 and HP Touchpad). Getting close to end of my current Verizon contract... was looking at LG G6 but probably get another Samsung with one of the S8s. Wish I could afford Pixels.

Uprising likes this.
  2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Yeah I saw that yesterday as an Amazon Prime Day deal, but that wasn't available when I bought mine. That was a pretty sick deal.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I need a some cheap ass smart phone and plan for teenage son. Any recommendations?

Republic Wireless (via Sprint or T-Mobile networks) has a $20/month deal with 1 GB of data a month, but I have to buy a phone.

4. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

How cheap are we talking about? <$200, <$150, or <$100?

No Worries likes this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My son looses stuff all of the time, so less than $100 would be better.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If you have amazon prime, the Moto E4 is available for $99 and its on Republic Wireless's BYOD list.

BiGGieStuFF and No Worries like this.
  7. jchu14

I agree with gee that the Moto E4 cannot be beat for the <$100 segment.

Another more unorthodox option would be the Nextbit Robin for $110. It's hardware specs are much better than the E4, but don't expect any software support in the future. The company was bought out by Razer a few months ago and it's still unclear how much longer it'll be supported. Its Nougat update did just come out not long ago though.

8. geeimsobored

Unfortunately I think he needs something that works on Republic Wireless so it has to be Samsung/Huawei/Moto etc.. Basically mainstream brands with dual CDMA/GSM support so its a limited pool to go with.

jchu14 likes this.
  9. jchu14

Oh that's a really good point. It's strange how a carrier that supports GSM still has a whtielist of phones that the network supports.

10. geeimsobored

They do the Google Fi thing where they bounce between a GSM network (TMobile), a CDMA network (Sprint), and WiFi. Greatly limits the available hardware as a result.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I'm a bit confused about what phone to get.
    Contract with Verizon ending soon. Looking to make the move to Google Fi, Republic Wireless or another low cost carrier y'all might recommend.

With Fi I was hoping to get Nexus 5 but looks like they're sold out.

So, are there any other low cost cellphone carriers that y'all can recommend to me?
    and
    Any quality phones between 100-200 that y'all would recommend as well? I've looked at some HTC's, Huawei, Moto G5, etc. All have some reviews that make me apprehensive. I guess there's no perfect phone but is there a phone with minimal issues that one can get for between $100-200 that y'all can recommend?

Thx

12. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Sprint is having a promotion where if you port over to them with a qualifying device, they will give you a year's of unlimited service for free. You'll still have to pay taxes on the line but it'll still be really cheap. Gives you some time to look around. I linked the thread.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10235008-o...e-1-40-mo-for-line-2-30-mo-line-for-lines-3-5

ferrari77 likes this.
  13. geeimsobored

If $200 is your ceiling I'd say go with the Moto G5 plus. The Amazon edition is $185 and it blows away any new phone in that range. You're always going to have to make compromises at that price point but I don't think you'll find a better option this year for under $200.

fba34 and ferrari77 like this.
  14. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

The battery life on the Motorola phones is amazing. By the time I head home from work, I usually have 70% plus battery left.

el gnomo likes this.
  15. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

I would check how far the price for Oneplus 3T has fallen. It was released only end of last year.

Apparently OP will alternate between good and stupid every other year. OP One was a good deal with good looks, OP Two sucked. OP 3 and 3T redeemed back and OP 5 sucked with the jelly screen issue.

16. the shark

the shark Member

Curious if any ex Blackberry users have gone back to them? I had a Blackberry for yrs and then switched over to Samsung about 7 yrs ago.

If so what's been your experience thus far? Is it worth checking them out again?

ramotadab likes this.
  17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

iPhone 8 to be $1000...

I'm thinking of not buying the phone on pure principle. I am not going to drop a grand on a phone which I will most likely want to replace in 2 years. Give me a break.

fba34 likes this.
  18. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

essential phone seems like a bargain at this point (699 with no tax) after seeing the galaxy note and iphone 8 prices. mine should be shipping in the next couple of days, but with the hurricane mess... who knows.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

That price is just one of the new features of the phone. Groundbreaking stuff

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

For those out of the camp for the Note 8/Iphone 8/other $900+ flagships....the One Plus 5 with the 835 SD chip and 8 GB RAM is a beast for the price. Camera under low light leaves a little to be desired, but all in all, very solid phone.