1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rotation for Next Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zoplicone, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Won't break it up by specific positions.

GUARDS - CP / Harden / EG
    FORWARDS - Ariza / Ryno / Tucker / Luc
    CENTER - Capela / *Nene /

*Tarik Black when Nene rests

That's a nine man rotation. I don't see how any of those players are expecting to not see the floor every game except for Nene, a lot of games we may not need a center for 48 and Nene doesn't seem to mind the rest.
    But still, 8 players. It'll be hard for guys like Troy to ever see the court. Zhou will be ok cuz he hasn't spent time in the D-league yet. I was actually really hoping we'd sign Josh Smith to fill the tough PF role like Trez did last year, but we really have no time for him; it would make little sense to sign him.

HTX Ninja and don grahamleone like this.
  2. BALLhog 247 365

*Carmelo Anthony when Ryno gets traded

bigred77 and jch1911 like this.
  3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if all are healthy i see the minutes distribution like this:

capela (28) - nene(20)
    ryno (24) - luc (16)
    ariza (32) tucker (24)
    harden (34) ego (28)
    cp3 (34)

we do have some injury prone guys on this team: nene, ryno, cp3, ego. here's how i think the minutes get split up if they're out:
    • black will take nene's minutes when he's resting / injured
    • taylor and troy will split cp3's minutes when he needs rest / injured. same if ego is out.
    • if/when ryno is out i see luc taking his minutes (24), and then luc's minutes (16) getting split between tucker and ariza to create a 3 man rotation.
    we do have a need for a 3rd string PF in case ryno goes down. we don't want to be forced to play small ball all the time.

carib likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lot of age on this current team, MDA would be wise to expand rotation to at least 10, at least in regular season.

Don't get too attached to Troy, Zhou, Taylor, etc. No guarantee all of them are on roster when regular season begins, Morey is always churning and he knows window of opportunity is now. Beard is in his peak, CP3 too, stashing young players will not be a priority. Could still see Smoove, or another vet, acquired even if we don't get Melo.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah I'm not attached to the young guys; just saying they won't get to play no matter what. But they won't get us anyone in return that would probably crack the rotation.

I'd love to see Smoove back here. I know he's not great but I always thought he had a good attitude and good to have around the team ever since he first got to Houston. But still, I don't think MDA would ever go past a nine man rotation, so it would appear that the rotation I posted is more or less set.

HTX Ninja and D-rock like this.
  6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Stop trollin brah.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So you guys just gonna ignore, 3 point sniper, lead recruiter, cheer leader, chemistry maker Booby Brown like that

SHAME

8. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Paul / Harden / Brown
    Harden / Gordon
    Anthony / Ariza
    L.James / LMM / Nene
    Capela / Nene / Black

82-0

Nemospl likes this.
  9. rockets13champs

He said 2017 not 2018 bro

alethios likes this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I agree with you, but I'm hoping that Tarik gets regular minutes. I'm also hoping Troy plays plenty. Maybe not every game with Troy, but 12-15 minutes every once in awhile could pay dividends down the road. If we need Troy for a few minutes in the playoffs, we need him for a whole bunch in the regular season. Some of these guys need to rest too. Ryno and Ariza are such great three point shooters when they have their legs, so why run them down? I hope we have a deeper roster that MDmA learns to trust so that they all become valuable to the team. I hate to have players get tired when there are guys on the bench that are ready to give the team a shot in the arm.

11. theh

theh Member

Where's Josh Smith?

D-rock likes this.
  12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

bobby brown
    sergio lol
    troy will
    cp3
    z
    6th man - harden

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah I agree with you too. I'd like to see Troy play regularly. But I still can't see how he would get minutes with Ariza Tucker and Luc all in the rotation. Unless you're saying we give Ariza games off which would be interesting. I'd actually be all for that, but I'm not even sure he'll need it with his minutes expected to go down a healthy amount with Tucker and Luc on board.

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

I wish we'd able to find some sort of serviceable guard for insurance. Especially since CP3 and EG have both had their share of injury history.

Actually... I wish we would have been able to somehow keep Bev in the trade! Can you imagine running the first and last 5-7 minutes of the game with Harden and CP3 and the rest of the game running Harden with Bev and CP3 with EG? That guard rotation would be so sick!

...if only

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Meh. I'm not too worried about having the 4th guard being too serviceable. If an injury does happen we may have to sign someone but with those 3 you really don't have minutes for anyone else. It's crazy how our best player is going to play both point guard and shooting guard for a healthy amount of minutes.

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

Really hope MDA adjusts his approach, you cannot ride these injury prone guys into the ground. Big reason we lost to the Spurs was a short rotation.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm thinking that none of these forward guys needs to play over 30 minutes a game. Other than Ryno, they each have a couple of skills and Ryno kind of has two if you think about him as a three point shooter and a 38 foot shooter. It sounds like James may sit a few games this year, Trevor too, so minutes should be available in bulk, but even when everyone is available, I don't see why you wouldn't plug in a Troy or Tarik just to get some burn in big minutes. Games aren't won in the 2nd quarter, but last year our rotation seemed to reflect that. I feel like if you have 12 guys, you should use them over the course of the season. If you can't, why are they on the team?

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Keuchel-McCullers-McHugh-Morton-Peacock...

...oops wrong thread.

alethios likes this.
  19. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

You sure MDA trust this 9 man rotation? Bc apparantly he doesn't like to play 9 guys in the PO especially if he can't trust them.
    Last year he played:
    Harde/Gordon
    Beverly/Lou
    Ariza
    Ryno
    Capela(Nene went out with injury)
    Even though Harrell and Dekker played good during the season and Nene went down with an injury, MDA still couldn't play them for even 1 minute to give his roation guys a breather.
    So with that said a rotation of:
    Paul
    Harden/Gordon
    Ariza/Tucker
    Ryno
    Capela/Nene
    Is still a mystery for me until MDA learns to trust his players. I doubt Mbah a Moute sees the floor at all during he PO even if he plays well in the reg season. Again this is all speculation based on what I saw from MDA last year, he really needs to adjust and fix and extend his rotation of he wants to sniff the Western finals.

20. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

CP3 = point god
    Bobby Brown = 3 point god