1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving traded for Isaiah Thomas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by alexcapone, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Celtics lose short term but reap the benefits after this upcoming season

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Great trade for Cleveland.

I don't think they particularly care if IT stays or not. They get stronger this year AND got basically the best "future" draft pick asset that exists in the entire NBA right now. I mean they are almost guaranteed one of Porter, Bagley or Doncic.

For a guy who made himself a malcontent who didn't want to be on the team and it was know for everybody.

For Boston... I mean it's "ok". They got value for a guy they weren't going to pay to keep around anyway but only by adding two additional very solid/valuable pieces. They're still unlikely to make the Finals his year and probably could have gotten something better next offseason closer to the draft (with next years crop of disgruntled stars)

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Well why would the celtics say this. Doesn't IT have to take a physical, or is it damage control?

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I think IT regresses this on his play, but a much better haul than any other offer the Cavs would have gotten.

6. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Was worrried melo might add the celtics to his short list, but then I remembered they added Hayward. Melo does not want to play full time PF.

They are stacked at the 1-3. Then again you could bench Bradley and run Hayward at the two.

Its up to melo. If he adds the celtics then he goes to the celts. If not then he goes to Houston later. The knicks will be waiting to see if he adds the celtics.

Fact is irvingg left to be number one and their defense would be atrocious.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kyrie with his own team has always been doo-doo, and injured.
    Let's see If he can drop 30 on IT efficiency without Bron carrying his jock and allowing him to maximize his potential. Look at how much more IT gets to the line, like a prime Allen Iverson. Almost double the free throws.

Kyrie PER 23.0
    IT PER 26.5

Not everything obviously, but food for thought. IT had a superior season to Kyrie last season, imo. Going forward, with Kyrie's injuries and the chip on IT's shoulder, I will take IT all day errryday.

ickaruto likes this.
  8. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

This was the most lateral trade in nba history

Coach E likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

As everybody said this is a great deal for Cleveland, maybe I'm just biased for Lebron but in my mind Irving only became seen as this good because he had Lebron bringing him to the Finals year after year.

On his own I would rank Irving as a superstar on his own right but he is not as offensively dominant as Harden, KD and Curry while also being a bit of a defensive liability so for me Ainge overpayed, although considering how many assets they have maybe for them it makes sense just upgrade from IT to Irving.

Honestly if I were the GM the package they got looks so good I might have traded Irving anyway even if he didn't want to leave. 2018 bkn pick helps them get lottery talent while Crowder and IT are both really good players. Crowder would totally help Cleveland's bench scoring while IT should do a good job of being Lebron's new sidekick. It'll be really fun to see CLE vs Boston now.

As for Irving I have no idea what is going through his mind, he left CLE to be his own man but arrived at a team with 2 other stars so I have no idea why he would even want out. Maybe in his mind he can take control of Hayward and Horford. Goodluck with that lol it looks to ne like he just joined a weaker version of cleveland.

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

Boston has been hoarding their assets for so long... And this is the trade they finally do? Really?

Kyrie is an upgrade over Thomas and is younger and has a year longer for his contract...

But really? He is a marginal upgrade and they gave up Crowder, a young player with some upside and an almost certain top 5 pick?

Cavs win this trade in a landslide

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its just damage control. Since when was turning 29 "old"? Turning 29 means he is only 28 now. 28 and already have age concerns wtf.

12. PatBev

PatBev Member

Kyrie is the truth you underestimate

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

He's good no doubt.

But I absolutely do underestimate. He is a defensive liability and he did nothing on the Cavs before LeBron got there. Thomas just had an almost MVP level season and they had to give up a top 5 pick too.

He's an upgrade sure for Boston over IT sure. But that was way too much for too little of an upgrade.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

What are you talking about? They just gave up a potential 1st lottery pick and a young really solid SF. If you're talking about future benefits Boston is the one who gave up the mosr value after this upcoming season.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

people need to remember boston has 2 guys they are very high on waiting in the wings that need minutes to develop in brown and taytum. this opens it up for consistency on a nightly basis. And they both can definitely play. they made crowder expendable. hes nothing more than a good role player and looks a bit better just bc of his contract

RocketWalta and RocketStan like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well the question is why should Lebron leave though? Cle is already maxxed out in payroll thats why Lebron is rumored to leave because he will never beat GSW with just Irving and Love. Now he also gets Crowder to help the mediocre Cavs bench and after next year could be adding another Davis-level talent and thats in addition to IT who actually outperformed Irving last year. Cavs look as good as any non Gsw team in the league I don't know why he would even leave.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  18. BackdoorHarden

4 TOP 20 players traded in the off season!!!

Have 4 Top 20 players ever been traded in the off season?????

NBA running the show! Thanks to the Rockets, Cavs, Warriors, and Celtic...everyone is trying to get better or worse.

NBA is crazy!!!!

19. RocketStan

RocketStan Member

Yeah don't see how Boston "lost" they have 3 wings ready to replace Crowder. Kyrie>IT. The only thing they really lost was that 1st round pick, but you have to raise the risk factor in this scenario. Kyrie is a proven champion, top 5 player in the playoffs.

YOLO likes this.
  20. BackdoorHarden

Actually 5 TOP 20 players were traded. LOL

I completely forgot about Chris Paul...that trade seemed like last year!!! So much has happened since Chris Paul trade. Everyone has to get better because of the Rockets!!!

DId I miss any Top 20 players??? Dwight Howard don't count