1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson Or Savage? Who would you like to see lead the Texans week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nigel Thornberry, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Watson or Savage

1. Deshaun Watson

66.7%
  2. Tom Savage

33.3%
  1. raining threes

Like 1,000 times.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree. I said in the game thread that he looked so natural out there and everything seemed to move more quickly with him. Savage feels like the game is going to be a total borefest with him at QB. Slow, methodical, safe, no big plays, probably not a lot of touchdowns.

If he were the QB all year I could imagine him at 60% completion, 3100-3300 yards, 12-15 touchdowns and 5-7 picks. Would probably give him a good QB rating, but would be mind numbing to watch.

That said, Savage should start until Watson has the game down and despite how natural he looks, I don't think he does. He'll throw a lot of interceptions if he starts right away.

3. raining threes

You're saying Watson has Brady/Rodgers/Manning like elite ability? LOL

Hey, I thought Watson looked pretty good against 2nd stringers too, but I'm certainly not ready to say Waton even has the potential to be that great. He's got some accuracy issues. McNabb is a better comparison or maybe rookie Kaep. Certainly not Manning/Rodgers/Brady. IMHO

4. raining threes

Like Vince Young?

Jatman20 and justtxyank like this.
  5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Tebow faints

Jatman20 and justtxyank like this.
  6. solid

solid Contributing Member

DW is no Tebow or Vince Young. His skill set is far above Tebow, and his IQ is probably double VY.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This makes me feel better no matter who starts week 1

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Brock in mid season form

9. showa13

showa13 Member

I never said any names, but McNabb at one point was an elite QB, and led a team to the Super Bowl. You mention accuracy issues, I mention a reason as to why he has those issues, and that with hard work and coaching he can fix it. He fixes his accuracy, I don't see why he can't be elite.

Feels like everyone is forgetting the fact that this was literally his first NFL action against truly live competition. I have my expectations, but it's like some of you expected him to look like current Brady/Rodgers/Manning IN HIS FIRST LIVE ACTION. There was good, there was bad, there's alot to work on, but overall for his very first time it was impressive, I fail to see how it wasn't since it was his first time.

K-Low_4_Prez likes this.
  10. raining threes

Agreed

But it's way too early to mention elite and Watson in the same post.

mick fry likes this.
  11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Delete

texanskan likes this.
  12. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

13. basketballholic

Prolly not going to matter with this offensive line. By the third game Savage is going to have a collapsed lung and busted spleen. Poor guy. He's a sitting duck.

Watson's escapability and improvisation should become huge pluses as long as this OL leaks.

14. 1234567

1234567 Member

Guys

Unless they fix this OL Watson will start.

I agree with Holic that Watson will be there either because he is ready or that Savage will be hurt.

Brown and maybe that guy who just got cut by the Dolphins needs to be on team.

Don't know what to say about Brown, he has contract, he is not on level with JJ. He will not get another contract or the team will face this with all the other players. On the other hand, he gets nothing pay wise if he miss games and if he comes back ineffective they will cut him because of what he is doing now.

The team is super Tackle weak right now however so delima....

15. steveng125

steveng125 Member

What I saw game 1 of preseason is that Watson has great awareness. He knows when guys are getting close and where he should go. Savage on the other hand seemed like he didn't know he was about to get sacked, he could have extended plays, he's not a stiff like Schaub and brock.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

As horrible as Brock is he's far more athletic than savage. Savage is closer to Matt as far as running is concern.

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Texans aren't cutting Brown idk what you talking about. By far their best lineman and it'll be settled by week 1.

And your first sentence is terrible. If the Texans thought their line was horrible, they wouldn't start Watson, they'd start Savage. Not going to risk injury on someone that valuable in Watson smh

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for making me laugh out loud Bobby! Yes, that does make me feel better.

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just because Brock could run better didn't do squat, as far as moving our offense. All it did was make you think he was gonna do something, until you saw him throw the ball 10 feet from the receiver's hands, or right into the defense. Last year was easily #1 on my list as the most pathetic offense I have ever watched, dating back to the days of the Oilers.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I agree. All I was saying is Brock is a better athlete than Savage. Both are nothing more than backups