1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heading to China for the Yao Ming Foundation Basketball Tournament

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Svpernaut, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'm heading to China for a week to coach my nephew's basketball team for the Yao Ming Foundation's Primary School basketball tournament today. The team is representing Houston at the camp/tournament, and the tournament is apparently a pretty big deal over there.

Yao himself decided that he wanted a Houston team represented in his foundation's league tournament, and we're lucky enough to be taking part. The Chinese Consulate in Houston and the Houston area Yao Ming Fan Club had a great send-off reception for us last night. If you speak Chinese, I believe many members of the Chinese media were there.

We aren't going to have a ton of time to sight see, so any tips on what to see let me know! We'll be in Shanghai and Jiangsu during the trip. I kind of lucked into the trip at the last minute, so I haven't really had time to plan much so any suggestions for Shanghai and Jiangsu are appreciated.

We'll be meeting with Yao, and if you want to follow our trip, you can do so on via my Instagram and/or SnapChat (BradGroux). I have several VPN options and Google's global Project Fi phone service - so I don't believe I'll have any issues updating both from behind the Great Firewall... hopefully. Either way, I'll reply to this thread with more details once we return stateside.

Yung-T, Exiled, Fyreball and 12 others like this.
  2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Never travelled to China but that's awesome man. Hope you have a great time.

3. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

That's awesome, good luck to you and your nephew. Wish I had some suggestions

Post some pics if you can!

4. Bob Barker 007

I worked in Shanghai for about 2 months and really enjoyed my time there. If you don't know Mandarin, I highly recommended having a Mandarin translation app or two (like Pleco) that you can use. Take your hotel's business card with the hotel address in Chinese in case you need it for a taxi. I recommend the Shanghai Metro, as it goes everywhere around the city and is easy to use. Definitely go to the Bund and walk along the Huangpu River, go to the other side of the river to the financial district (Lujiazui), and walk along East Nanjing Road. If you have time, I like People's Square/Shanghai Museum, Jing'an Temple, and Yu Garden. Dumplings were my favorite thing to eat in Shanghai. I recommend trying xiaolongbao (soup dumplings) and fried dumplings. The closest cities worth going to outside of Shanghai: Nanjing - City Wall, Rape of Nanjing WWII Memorial, Sun Yat-Sen Mausoleum; Hangzhou - the beautiful West Lake area; Suzhou - known for its gardens and culture. All three cities are 90 minutes or less by high-speed rail, and they are all worth seeing if you have time.

Edit: A VPN will slow down your internet connection, and internet can be spotty in China. It may not be as easy as you think to stay connected to a VPN. I would keep that in mind if you need access to Facebook or Google.

#4 Bob Barker 007, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Svpernaut likes this.
  5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Be sure to not buy any Chinese crap while there.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Be very careful where and what you eat in China.

Lots of roaches and limited health regulations.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

shanghai is one of the great cities of the world. be sure to check out the french concession

Svpernaut likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I like yr Avatar response to that.

9. Bob Barker 007

Even if you know the stuff is crap, you can still have fun negotiating in the Shanghai markets. Someone tried to sell me fake Studio Beats for US $300, and I just laughed at him. At least in my experience, no one would get angry because it was all in good fun.
    I would avoid the grilled meat served on the street. The raw meat is usually not kept in a cooler and sits outside all day, warming to unsafe levels before being cooked. The pain afterward is not something you want to experience. Another thing: summer in Shanghai is rainy. Pack an umbrella or buy a cheap one off the street. If you are a white guy like me or look like you are clearly foreign, a lot of people will stare at you, and it will take some getting used to. This is less of a problem in Shanghai than in smaller cities.

#9 Bob Barker 007, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Svpernaut, tinman and Nook like this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

come again?

11. Bob Barker 007

I knew I was forgetting stuff haha. I enjoyed the French Concession area. Personally, I would only add it if you have extra time. The main things for me were the Chinese cultural sites and getting to experience how rapidly Chinese cities like Shanghai were changing.

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Shanghai is legit ( honestly biased but I actually prefer it over New York due to public transportation alone. Also feels much safer to walk around at 2 a.m.) and shouldn't be an issue in most of the downtown areas. Don't get food from alley stores

The city actually have Michelin rated restaurants so if you're a foodie you can go nuts there.

13. wizkid83

Also the people are much more forward lean in Shanghai. Mobile payments are already ubiquitous.

14. wizkid83

I'd just search for the item on taobao.com and tell them I'll give them 10 percent markup, take it or leave it.

15. Bob Barker 007

Their quick adoption of mobile technology was surprising. A potential negative of that though is how many people I saw trading stocks on their phone as if there were no risks with doing so. The Chinese stock market is the financial equivalent of the Wild West.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Congrats man! That sounds hella' exciting. Yao truly is amazing and it speaks a lot to his connection with houston that he would want us to represent.

Yung-T and Svpernaut like this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very cool. Congrats. I'm sorry I haven't been to China, and have no advice I can offer. But it's really cool that you get to go there and meet Yao. Sounds like it will be a great experience.

Svpernaut likes this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

post some pictures

Svpernaut likes this.
  19. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Good luck at the tournament. Such a cool honor for your son's team. You'll have to keep us updated.
    Mrs 2000 and I will be in Beijing in November. We are trying to schedule in a CBA game. I'll be the Texan dude in the Yao jersey.

Svpernaut likes this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Do you need an assistant coach? I've been killing it here with the youth basketball league.