1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Future of employement and wages

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Those who fail to study history...

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You are making a qualitative judgement without any comparable information.... a good job compared to what?
    You would have to look at the succuess of the national interstate system, comfort for the aged in medicare, the space program, the invention of the internet, preeminence of the military, sophistication of the CDC, gains by the EPA etc. etc. and show a system that would have produced more for less.

With our system of fiat money, it's would be a pretty hard jugement to make anyway... the advancements of the system give value to the money in the system so that they are mutually dependent. It's entrely possible that if our government did not spend the amount of money it does, the value of the your money could be much less, like you would have not internet to buy for any amount or you have a lot of money but no defense against world-wide pandemic. Basically it's just a pointless propaganda point from people with their own aganda believed by people without understanding.

3. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Tell her to become a nurse. It's a career that you will always have a job. You get paid serious $$ and with BSN nursing schools so difficult to get into and complete there will always be a need.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

5. Realjad

funny article though. Too much money in the med field to not have nurses. Their role is too important and irreplaceable. These robots do sound like it can replace nursing aids

"Instead, they perform routine and arduous tasks, freeing nurses up to attend to patients with immediate needs. This is one industry where it seems the integration of robots will lead to collaboration, not replacement—"

If anything the article gives further creed to my recommendation.

Growing older population, already a lack of nurses

Get your daughter in the nursing career. She can work 3 day weeks almost anywhere in the country bringing in 75k or more a year thus providing her the financial flexibility and free time to further her education in the medical field or another profession as a backup career. It's a high stress and tough job, but also rewarding and you can't argue against 3 day weeks while bringing in that kind of cash.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

My kid is a long way from college yet, I will have to take a deeper look when the time comes, I just hope thing are not as gloom as some predicted.

7. Realjad

Fatherly duty for her wellbeing is ya got to do some psychological conditioning and peak her interest in the medical field while young ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

otherwise..
    [​IMG]

that will be computerized, but if not they will probably be paying $15 an hour by then

pirc1 likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Cynical part of me feels like the future of employment is we keep getting more and more efficiency with technology/machines and that cost savings lines the pockets of CEOs and the rank and file workers stay stagnant.

VooDooPope likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I thought I would bring this thread back from the dead because the current potential threat of AI. It's pretty worrisome that you can get a chatbot to write marketing copy and AI to create headshots of you from existing photos. With deepfake technology you could even create movies with actors that aren't alive. All the economic power will be with the creator of the AI and the government that regulates it.

As I said over 5 years ago, we will eventually need a star trek type economy but I wonder how much civil unrest will be needed before we get there.

Andre0087 likes this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Bring back the buggy coach whip factory! Refrigerators will ruin the ice market! What will the fanboys do now that we have electrical ceiling fans? Be fans of things?

New technology gives rise to new opportunities and new types of employment.
    • I'll take a skilled marketing person over AI. AI just isn't there with intuitive leaps (it would be the singularity). AI-assisted marketing, now that's the sweet spot
    • I made my own headshots in five minutes with my phone and software
    • You'll never replace a good director, script and actors for quality movies. AI may assist these things in the future, though.

droxford likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We're in the middle of a revolutionary transition except each new revolution is becoming faster and more frequent. Amazing to think that Wright Bros. flight was 120 years ago.

All designs that once needed to be hand drawn or assembled can now be simulated and reiterated before I finish typing this post.

In a sense, we need it to match time and complexity demands for a growing and interconnected world but yeah, we might be self selecting ourselves out of many once key traits and strengths.

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

In the future there won't be a need for jobs and money will cease to exist. AI/Robots will do every possible thing for us as long as it doesn't kill us. See how the happy fat people lived in the movie Wall-E for a look at our future.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You gotta reassess components of our capitalist system and block some of this stuff or issue UBI.

Right now the only reason this stuff gets blocked is because someone is paying to keep it blocked, once the profit moves across that line to the other side, GOOD LUCK.

Elon is FIGHTING HARD to ensure self-driving cars displace 5 million jobs. GOOD LUCK.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  16. droxford

droxford Member

Unemployment will skyrocket. Wages will plummet.

In 100 years (or less)...
    1. Labor jobs will be entirely done by illegal aliens and their families. This include skilled labor jobs, such as welding and carpentry. Quality will plummet but labor costs will be low.
    2. Management jobs well be few. As a manager, you'll either manage the AI models that will perform the professional work, and/or manage the illegal aliens that will do the labor work, and/or manage the overseas contractors that you've outsourced to, and/or manage the robotic and automated systems. There will be plenty of qualified people seeking these jobs, so wages will be low, workload will be super high, and turnover will be super high.
    3. Senior Management jobs will be few. Company owners will have only a tiny amount of senior managers, who will have the managers report directly to them and will use AI analytics for their business units (strategy, marketing, accounting).
    4. Marketing positions will be almost entirely AI-driven
    5. Business strategy will be almost entirely AI-driven
    6. Engineering positions will be almost entirely AI-driven
    7. Attorney positions will be almost entirely AI-driven
    8. Almost all entertainment media will be AI-driven.
    TLDR version...
    Illegal aliens, outsourced contractors, and automated/robotic systems will do all labor work
    All other work will be done by AI
    Quality will plummet, but costs will be lower.

If you're not already wealthy right now, your children and their children are destined for extreme poverty.

17. droxford

droxford Member

No, but it will be. And when AI has improved (not only good enough, but better than human) you'll switch to AI because it's better and cheaper.
    "Never" is a very long time. AI is still an embryo right now and it grows exponentially.
    Entertainment will be written by AI, will have entirely CGI sets, clothing, lighting, actors, and soundtrack. There will be no cameras and no filming. No orchestras for the soundtrack. At first, the quality will suck terribly, but eventually it will improve and become quite good. It will probably never be as good as human-made, but will be MUCH less expensive to make. Hollywood will get behind it because the movies will be less expensive to make, even less expensive to make sequels for (no need to re-create the CGI characters; just re-use the ones from the first movie); and the movies only need to be just good enough to generate profit after such low production costs. Making better, human-made movies will exist only in small quantities (because they are much more costly and inefficient). Human-made movies will have a much higher risk of failure, will take longer to create, and will cost a LOT more.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

With technology developing faster and the effects to society felt sooner it's not a good analogy. There is a fixed time period where people can adjust to new job markets. If the tech makes industries or trades obsolete quicker and quicker there is a point where you have very hard interim of unemployment and despair.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is spot on. Thinking of the switch from VCR to DVD to streaming. Blockbuster went from king to dust and then Netflix mailed you DVDs and then Redbox was popular and very quickly became obsolete. It’s moving faster and faster and faster.

I saw a TikTok the other day of some girl saying you could make all this money writing content on some website. All I could think was Chatgpt could do that in a minute.

AI can not only make the content but also the decisions about what content to make, where and how to market it, etc. It’s going to take blue collar, white collar, and creative/artistic jobs.

Way different threat then what we’ve seen before.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Money/credit will almost always exist given our human need for exclusiveness in order to differentiate ourselves and self promote in a social hierarchy (like and subscribe if you vibe with this).

The Wall-E scenario is an existential fork like choosing the red or blue pill. Those who reject reality can build the next digital reality (metaverse[s?]?). I guess that could create new economies except AIs would probably also do that better over time…

We could witness the singularity in our lifetimes assuming we all get there in one piece. I mean at this point it becomes a limitation of how small microchips can get and the amount of efficiency we can get out them. At that point, I’m thinking self augmentation from implants or tailored genetics will be dabbled upon in order to try to pace with the machines and each other,

Without a consumer base and a dynamic “middle class”, it might end up the good 80/20 rule of land or IP holders among those living primarily off UBI while governments race to the bottom to gain talent and capital.

Sounds a bit like end stage capitalism, but if the servers keep running, new beginnings might end up making people forget or react to it after a few years...