1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Push the Panic Button?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BleedsRocketRed, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And you have no ****ing clue why we didn't get those players.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Theres a lot of reasons why they're not playing well... mainly Correa still being out, LMJ on the DL, Fiers sucking again, Keuchel no longer being effective, Devenski regressing..

But to dismiss a morale/mental component sounds like the narrative you want to argue.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did you see the context of the discussion on why the question even came up? Is is that hard to make the connection between clubhouse disappointment and not playing at a 100% level?

Head-in-sand.

#83 Nick, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm not sure anybody reasonable is really pushing that narrative... but there seems to be more angst at those criticizing the front office for just not getting anything done, which is an entirely reasonable cricitism.

#84 Nick, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Actually I do

For some it's because we didn't offer what others were willing to

For some it's because Luhnow didn't think it was worth going after them

For some it's because the other owner refused to let the deal happen

In the end, I don't really care what the reasons are. Like many other things in life, when we have a job we either get it done, or we don't. As I've said many times, Jeff has done a good job here, but he failed to get us help at the deadline while other contenders got better. Results matter

6. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Ironically Luhnow and Crane were quick to lay out reasons (excuses) why they didn't make deals at deadline instead of just getting it done, like some expect the players to do. Maybe we all deserve each other :rolleyes:

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah when you have a job like yours which is "customer orders fries, I give them fries" the results are instantaneous. Most of us work jobs where pros and cons are weighed on each decision and the long-term future of the company is taken into account, not just the exact outcome of one task.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, I mentioned being perturbed by that... how they were going out of their way to explain themselves to the fan base, something they never seemed to do in the past.

I was told that it was wrong and was unnecessary whining about something that didn't exist...

9. The Beard

Fries huh? Lol

Actually I'm an offensive line coach, my entire profession deals with motivation, building mental strength, and overcoming adversity. You love talking personal shots at people you know absolutely nothing about.

But that computer makes it ok

10. right1

right1 Member

I could see why shipping away a guy they bonded with since spring training and who was a major contributor to the best start in team history for a not-so-good relief pitcher who did not meet the expectations of what was needed could be considered an extra slap in the face to an already disappointing trade deadline.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No. It's silly to think that changing clubhouse dynamics ever effects on the field play.

Just silly.

12. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

These excuses become rather hollow the second time through.

Reminds me of shy friends of mine who always have an excuse about why they didn't go up and talk to a particular girl. After the first or second time, I don't need to hear why any more. We all know why, regardless of the excuse used. You were too scared to do it. Other guys are able to overcome these alleged reasons you couldn't do it and get it done all day every day.
    Other GM's are able to overcome whatever made up excuses luhnow used and improved the team.
    I'd rather not hear anything about why the trades didn't get made. We know why they didn't. Just like the guy that doesn't have the stomach for going up to a girl, you didn't have the stomach for making the deal happen. Other GM's did. No more needs to be said. Excuses are lame.

Rox225 likes this.
  13. The Beard

Might as well close the thread cause it can't be said better than this

14. Rox225

It felt like spin to me even if other teams did back out. Bottom line for me is that there's been enough written about what happened and Luhnow's reputation around league to feel as if they were trying to make deals without giving up guys not named Tucker and Whitley.

kaleidosky likes this.
  15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

LOL y'all are right. Luhnow was just scared.

16. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I am a coach too. As a coach you should definitely frown on what keuchel and reddick just did. Of course there are mentally weak dudes in every locker room and club house...but you deal with that stuff in house. Go out, play the game, and compete. Period. End of story.

Hey Now! likes this.
  17. Rox225

Prior to the deadline Luhnow was on the record saying the team was willing to make deals that might "hurt" (like give up top prospects). Every thing written right before and since has strongly indicated Luhnow was not only balking at trading guys like Tucker and Whitley, but also guys like Alvarez. Clearly a disconnect between his words and actions.

Funny thing to me was Jon Heyman writing today that Luhnow was trying to peddle off AJ Reed as a headliner in a package. Had he done this a year ago we might already have another ace.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. Malaya

Malaya Member

It's because Luhnow prioritized the future over now.

It's because the no-trade deadline happened also last year. Morale also went down last year. Keuchel said he asked FO to make trades in 2015. Which we did. So players expected the FO to do their job.

Something similar to Morey with the Rockets before Harden came. Analytics types do not, cannot seem to factor in player psychology into the equation. For Morey, it was treating players as assets and keeping churning the players in and out.

For Luhnow, misreading the morale of the team last year. And this year, not doing enough to assuage them. When DK first spoke to the media, Luhnow said "I'm not going to speak to him (DK) because he's pitching tonight." Like any company leader, confront the problem head-on. Listen to the players. Apologize. Then do positive steps.

20. Malaya

Malaya Member

But 2-3 days before deadline, Luhnow came out in the media saying "We're not going to overpay." Warning bells set off in my mind ...