1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Push the Panic Button?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BleedsRocketRed, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why? Them feeling bad is as clear an explanation about why they're not playing well right now... and with the soft-core media of Houston, I'm surprised they're even still being asked about it.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The media here serves up cupcakes. He was asked on a national show, I believe.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Why does everyone who doesn't agree with Luhnow just need to shut up?

Just like all of us on here have our opinions, they are people too, and have opinions....not everyone needs to defend Jeff at all times

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Sorry; I was vaguer than i intended - I don't think "everyone" needs to shut up - just the players.

They're welcome to have opinions - they just need to keep them to themselves. Seriously - what good comes from voicing that? And from a guy who was dealt last year and promptly posted a 74 OPS+ for his new team. You'd think he'd know better......

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If they're being asked what's bothering them and why they suck right now... what do you want them to say?

They can take the Beeeeeeegio cliche answer... or they can be honest?

In the end, do you only want to hear what you want to hear... or do you want to hear the truth?

Also, them speaking out right now doesn't really cause any new harm... and it only really makes fans of the front office feel bad.

HTM likes this.
  6. HTM

HTM Member

He was asked a fair question and gave a truthful response.

Part of the ramifications of the front office failing to make aggressive moves to win now is that it will have a negative effect on the team.

That should factor into the calculation about deciding whether to be aggressive in making trades or not. People can down play the mental aspect of what the front office did/failed to do but it is real and it is important.

7. SemisolidSnake

The time to panic is behind us. The time to perform sacrifices and dark rituals to destroy the curse on Houston sports is nigh.

The tollway has been completed. We can finally use it as an arcane circle to channel the necessary forces. Blood will need to be spilled at specific points along and within it create to the necessary points of the sigil. Sports bars have been placed all around the city for this purpose. There will need to be suitable sacrifices and executioners, chosen specifically to highlight the curse to be expunged. Liriano/Luhnow, Osweiler/Rick Smith, Lin/Les...those combinations should work, but I'm open to suggestions while we're still preparing.

High Priest of the Dark Cheeseburger Daryl Morey will oversee the ceremony with Carmelo and LeBron in attendance to further show Houston's dedication to winning a championship. J.J. Watt and Scott McClelland will prepare the ceremonial bratwurst produced and properly desecrated by local HEB suppliers.

Those who would like to volunteer, please email tharanak_shogg_htown69@astros.com. Tweet your photos from and comments about the purge and summoning to @JuliaMorales, @RealToddKalas, @blummer27, and @ATTSportsNetSW. See you there! #HoustonBleedsRed

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Like I said, anybody who says it shouldn't affect them, doesn't affect them, or they should just shut-up about it is likely always going to give the front office the benefit of the doubt... even though this is now 2 years where members of the core have been vocal and flat-out pissed that nothing happened.

I've seen front offices be as smart as anybody... but when they start lacking the ability to connect with their players on the team (or they simply don't think their team's mental state is all that important)... that would create some valid criticisms/concern.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It sucks our players don't think they're good enough to do it themselves despite how well they played the first half of the year. I'm officially on the bandwagon with the majority of Astros fans who now fear this is another lost season.

10. HTM

HTM Member

I don't think they think that. I think they were expecting a nice push at the deadline to add some quality pieces to really tool up for the post season. When that didn't happen it was a let down. They are humans and are fans of the team themselves. Most Astros fans were disappointed we didn't make that push and so are they.

11. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Yea.. Maybe they need to shut up or get tougher or whatever. But I don't blame them. They see whats going on. They have a shot at a title. What competitor would not want that shot? They also see they are having to deal with a bunch of injuries which hurts that shot. Then they sit there and watch their GM and owner sit on their butt while everyone they are supposed to compete against plugs holes and get better. It is only human nature to wonder if you are not only playing against other teams but against your own damn owner. It stole their enthusiasm. Sure I would like for them to take this and go out pissed and win despite not getting any help. Use this as a springboard to say a giant FU to the front office. But these guy are young. Maybe they all don't have that mindset. We will see how it goes from here. But it is clear they are not the same team. They don't look like they are having any fun except that walk off the other night.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, our GM did absolutely nothing to try and help the team. He just sat on his ass, playing with Excel spreadsheets and did not engage with any other team to try to make a significant deal. Stupid posts like that are why people are telling you to STFU.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If he or Keuchel want to vent frustration, there's a much better/more constructive way to do it. Instead, they both sound like fatalistic fans who have no confidence in their team.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wooo!

15. The Beard

I guess I just prefer the truth

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd prefer players who aren't whiny b****es because they know they're not good enough to lead the team anywhere. But sounds like the majority of fans deserve players like this. I'm frankly embarrassed.

And now I really wish we would have made a move because it's clear our team doesn't have the mental makeup to make a WS run. Wooo!

Hey Now! likes this.
  17. The Beard

This!

I'm sure the Dodgers felt like they were "good enough" yet they went and got better

Last years Cubs were possibly "good enough" and they added

Players aren't robots

18. HTM

HTM Member

Well that is your opinion.

I appreciate the candor. These guys aren't robots and if these are the type of comments bubbling to the surface I can only imagine how pissed a lot of the boys in the locker room are the organization **** the bed again this trade deadline.

19. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Did everyone forget Luhnow's interview an hour after the deadline and Crane during the game broadcast?

The players had to listen to their GM and owner essentially say that they acknowledge that this team needs help, but they weren't able/willing to get the pieces they were chasing. I'm sure that filled everyone with confidence.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Maybe they should talk to their GM about it instead of proving to the world they can't handle it. I'm embarrassed to root for these guys right now.