1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Preseason Game One: Texans vs. Panthers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by solid, Aug 9, 2017.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Exactly as I expected. Savage showed that if he has a wide open short/medium throw he can make it. But that's it. Extremely mediocre. He is a 2, at best.

Watson made some mistakes but also made some very solid plays. Not bad. Not amazing.

Savage will play 3 games, at most, but if Watson improves it could be done sooner.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Texans just don't have big corners and Joseph is still the best in coverage of who suits up for Houston. Joseph was right there to make the play on that touchdown; Benjamin is just bigger and made a spectacular catch. Joseph was in position. I don't think Bouye does a whole lot more. Joseph shouldn't be your #1 corner but none of the others are there yet. Johnson might get there soon enough. I agree about Kareem but the problem is the team is running out of CBs too. They already play Kareem in "safety" sometimes but if he moves there full time, it means more of Nelson III. No good. I think the team is going to miss Demps more than Bouye. Q always knew where to be in this defense and had an eye for the ball.

I don't think we heard a lot about Clark tonight. I've been saying he plays much better on the left side.

3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Random thoughts...

- Too many penalties, secondary looked bad both in coverage and tackling, little to know pressure on QBs, no containment on QB, etc.
    - Offense had a few good moments and some guys that didn't look bad.
    - I loved that the first tackle on Benjamin's reception was made by Clowney and Watt--that was good to see.
    - Savage looked like he could be an OK game manager.
    - Watson was surprisingly composed, efficient, and showed the potential we have been hoping for. I found myself expecting him to make the play vs hoping he would. This is a dramatic change from how I ever felt about a Houston Texans QB. His pocket awareness in his first NFL experience was borderline remarkable.
    - OL actually did better than I expected. We need Brown back, but they opened up some holes for run game and weren't a disaster in pass protection. Too many penalties though, although some of those seemed petty on both sides of the ball.
    - My Texas City brother looked good in the backfield and agree we need to see how he does against #1s.
    - Damn the refs for taking away Cole's TD, that was a game changer--seems we always get the sh_t calls (remember Mexico).
    - Both sides of the ball have some work to do, as does ST.

Rashmon likes this.
  4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

J Jo is seriously so overrated. Always gets burned. Makes 1 play every 4-5 games. Seriously he shouldn't even be on this team.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

It's not like he was positioned poorly for the td... His coverage is still very good. But in some instances, he's outmatched by a taller receiver and it usually takes a pretty solid pass for JJo to lose out.

6. HstnSprtsFan101

Thoughts:

O-Line was awful, both units. Any time there was a good run it was called back by holding. QB's were running for their lives. Cmon back DBrown

Pretty telling that Braxton got all the reps over Strong. I don't think they believe in Strong too much nor has he really shown much to make them believe. I'm not writing Strong off, just need him to take that stride. Best 3 wide set could potentially be Hop, Brax & Riley in the slot.

Ervin & Hunt both got some work lined up out wide. Could see us keep all 5 RB's believe it or not. Hunt is definitely on the outside looking in if we keep 4. Ervin just does everything he does but better.

Our entire safety group is comprised of fringe NFL talent if we're being honest. Not sure why we don't put any stock in that position. Eager to see if Gilchrist can contribute, if not, we need to begin to look for other teams scraps. KJ Dillon seemed just a step slow to everything. Recovering from an injury so he gets a pass. May end up as one of those mysterious IR stash's for another year though. Corey Moore is a fringe athlete but seems to be in the right spot at the right time. Need to see a lot more out of that group.

Robert Nelson was torched all night. Didn't help himself. Denzel Rice forced two fumbles even though they missed the review on his second forced fumble. He's been creating turnovers all camp too. Could step up as that #4 guy. Dylan Cole was making plays on defense & ST's. He's looking like a lock to make the team.

Our top three draft picks were all considered 1st rounders at some point and all have 1st round talent and showed it tonight. Cunningham was flying around, another weapon for this front 7. Foreman looked just like he did at Texas, beastly.

QB's
    Savage showed what he can do. Make the safe throws and also step up in the pocket and rip a bullet. Yay. He's not going to do anything this preseason to wow us. He knows what BOB wants and expects out of him and he'll execute that. Watson showed the tremendous upside he has. This is what a 1st round quarterback looks like. It's just different than these bums we've been running out there. He's the guy that can really carry this team, couldn't help but smile watching him. He did miss the two vertical seam passes, not easy throws to make but he needs to work on completing those. Great all around poise and awareness. He passes the eye test that's forsure.

Man that was long, just felt great seeing some Texans football. Lookin forward to next week. Cmon back Duane

7. HstnSprtsFan101

This. Relax fellas, solid coverage. Kelvin is massive. J-Jo continuously grades out as a top level CB. I expect the same this year.

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  8. CallMeTheDream

My take on this game...
    Offense got off to a slow start.
    Defense was underwhelming.
    Alfred Blue looks great.
    Way too many flags.
    Didn't watch the O line too carefully but protection in the first half looked better than I expected.
    Watson looks incredible, can see him starting earlier than expected if Savage can't be any more than a game manager. And of course our record plays a big part.
    Overall, for the first time in...EVER the offense actually looked better than the defense. And it'll only get better as Watson and others get more comfortable as the majority of them are young. Foreman looks like he'll be a huge weight lifted off Millers shoulders. As for the D, I'm not too worried about the performance tonight because we know what we have in our front 7. I won't murder the secondary tonight because it's only 1 game and I understand they're still looking for that second safety spot. However, Joseph showing some age tonight getting snagged on by Benjamin for the TD.

Rashmon and tmoney1101 like this.
  9. HstnSprtsFan101

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't see the game because of work, but negative comments about the secondary bring something to mind:

The Giants won two Super Bowls by having a pass rush that more than made up for a shaky secondary. If Watt plays the entire season (which I doubt), maybe the Texans can follow the same model.

11. HstnSprtsFan101

And on DQ, we have to remember he was a 6th rounder. Even with no health problems it's very possible he wouldn't even be with the team at this point.

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I completely disagree. J Jo is not what he once was, but is still a valued member of our defense and we would suffer losing him.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I thought it was a solid debut for Watson but it wasn't awe-inspiring

Positives: Poise, appeared to be comfortable changing plays before the snap, mobility, seemed to make the right decisions, pretty money on the quick slants which is more than can be said about Osweiler.
    Negatives: Even though he often chose the right people to pass to, his throws weren't very accurate intermediate and beyond.

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Lol thinking the same thing... I remember when he was supposed to be the guy at Texas and was garbage. Incredible that he has made it to the league... really just shows how weak the QB position is in the NFL

15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Don't worry about these guys they think everyone on the team and all the coaches are trash and should all be replaced.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lamar Miller's fantasy draft position is in free fall after tonight - Foreman looks good.

davidio840 and Rodman23 like this.
  17. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Cunningham thread.

19. HstnSprtsFan101

Love it! For a really long time I wanted Cunningham as our 1st round pick. Was estatic to get him in the 2nd. The drafted couldn't have went much better for me. Let's hope they all pan out.

Adding this guy to an already stacked front 7 is going to be watch. I'm sure RAC and Vrabel will find a way to get that speed on the field.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are drunk. Sober up and we'll talk later.