1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA is Changing Scheduling Rules to Avoid So Many Players Resting

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by PhilCollins, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Players now days are coddled. Talk to me when you fast for a month and still play at a high level.

2. BackdoorHarden

yea, I remember back in da days, ballers like Royce White would have to take a bus without air condition to play a D league game and he would have to room with 3 roommates in a cheap Motel 8. Man, those were da days when men were men.

Now they got this airplane and stuff. crazy, ain't it???

Royce White would be like, "Aaaah hell nah dawg, give me da Bus anytime of anyday yo. Know what I'm saying. I be busing it hardcore like a real man. Ain't no body got no time for no airplane, sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet"

rm365, TheRealAllpro, Wapzoe and 8 others like this.
  3. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Bunch of weak b*****s

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is a huge step in the right direction. A couple more:

1. Ditch TNT Thursdays that limit the number of other games to either 0 or 1. This causes the schedule to be unnaturally compressed on Wednesdays and Fridays.
    I absolutely DESPISE!!! TNT Thursdays and whine about them each and every year.

2. Reduce the season to 75 games (while not affecting the number that are nationally televised).

da_juice and PhilCollins like this.
  5. rockets13champs

If Rockets and Knicks is nationally Televised does that mean Melo is more likely a Rocket?

RasaqBoi and PhilCollins like this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

pop will still rest players to troll the nba

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

You'd need an even number of games to have the same count of home and road games. 72 works well: 2 games against each opponent in the other conference (30 games), 3 against each opponent in your conference (42 games). Alternate which team gets 2 of the 3 in-conference games at home each year. No more divisions.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

82 games...

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Other than 7 fewer games for their home team, would most fans even notice if the national television schedule stayed the same?

It would certainly be an adjustment to have 7 few Rockets games. Not downplaying that.

PhilCollins and RudyTBag like this.
  10. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

The Lebrons will still rest when they want to. This won't deter Pop in the end of the season to do what he normally does

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Apparently they sent schedules to the teams and they can ask for changes, pretty good step by the league so the complaining and conspiracy talk can stop. The resting is a bunch of nonsense since players now have better technology and everything that players in the 60s-90s roughly never had and they went through it so these guys should suck it up. However, with guys like Yao this could've made a difference and in general it's good to have a more balanced schedule. It seemed the Rockets among others were always in top 10 of most 4 out of 5 and back-to-backs.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'd be happier if it was 60-something game seasons. Won't ever happen, because $$$, but I wish it would.

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Will the Clippers and Grizzles face fines?

Benching / Resting Dekker and Parsons.

14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Yep, this. They're not giving up any revenue.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Agree about Thursdays. It's not as much of an issue for the Rockets nowadays. However, back in the Kyle Lowry years, when the Rockets were not a TV draw, the team always had a ton of back to back games because they never get to play Thursday.

I wonder if the TV contract can actually be renegotiated to change this. TNT likely paid what they paid for the exclusivity on Thursday nights.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The NBA won't touch the recent TV deals because they are pure gold. Unfortunately, they extend until the summer of 2025. :(

17. PhiSlammaJamma

This is sort of like when you have sick days and vacation days, it don't matter, you gonna use them all even if you have to lie about it. This doesn't really change anything for anyone. What they need to do is offer the fans autographed memorabilia or some kind of voucher if a designated franchise player doesn't play. That way you don't feel cheated. And they get to take their sick day. Everyone wins with limited additional cost to the franchise.

el gnomo likes this.
  18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

THIS is the kind of outside-the-box thinking we need. A guarantee of either 'see LeBron play' or 'get LeBron's autograph' might make marquee ticket prices even more than they originally were! People may even buy HOPING he takes the day off. In exchange for rest, all the player would have to do is spend half an hour signing a bunch of pictures or something. This is such a simple and great solution that I'm shocked nobody has brought this up before.

Only issue would be how to determine who gets the autographed memorabilia... can't be everyone in the stadium (sorry season-ticket holders). I have no idea how long it would take, but I imagine 15k+ autographs would take a long time.

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

Haha now that's silly, I'm not paying $100-$200 for a night to see a great match-up only to get an autographed piece of junk.

92i likes this.