1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson Or Savage? Who would you like to see lead the Texans week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nigel Thornberry, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Watson or Savage

1. Deshaun Watson

66.7%
  2. Tom Savage

33.3%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

See the Chiefs and the Bears

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Dak is extremely accurate and rarely made mistakes. Watson isn't there yet.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

I feel sorry for either behind that offensive line (and it is offensive). ;)

Let Tom stand back there for now.

He is "the man", only after everyone else they tried failed. But only then, is still only keeping the seat warm.

Nook and FLASH21 like this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No sh** sherlock.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Fitzpatrick
    Hoyer
    Mallett
    Yates
    Osweiler
    Ro- errr never mind

Savage.... come on down! We have full faith in Tom!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Htownballer38 and J.R. like this.
  7. Nigel Thornberry

Ok so you're the one that pointed it out so how hard is it to understand? It's the simple question on who someone would like to see!!! It would be nice if you hopped off my thread Holmes

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Man you really have trouble interpreting basic English don't you. How sad.

A present for you:
    [​IMG]

9. Nigel Thornberry

[​IMG]
    Cool story bro

10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I voted Savage. Waston can have more times to learn to be a good QB in NFL before getting an injury in his first year.

11. mightybosstone

I basically came in here to say this. What we want and the reality of the situation are two very different things. I do think there is a benefit long-term to Watson's development to sit out this season or a portion of this season and learn from the sidelines. However, if the offense gets stale, Savage struggles or he gets hurt, we'll almost certainly see Watson start at some point this year anyway.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

The biggest difference we need to watch for is how PT is split during preseason game 3. If it's 50/50 that means Watson has gained a little more of BoBs confidence throughout preseason games 1 & 2. If its still about 80/20 in favor of Savage than he's probably beginning the season on the bench.

He looks good on the field but unfortunately he is getting many reps in practice with the first team to show what he's learned. We'll see how it progresses the more this preseason rolls along.

But you're right, Watson will be the starting QB at some point this season.

13. basketballholic

No question that Watson is way more entertaining to watch. Can you imagine what he'd be like behind Dallas' offensive line? Wonder if he would be "ready" playing with them?

Put me down for Watson. I see no reason to continue the Savage charade. Bench Savage. Sign him to a cheap deal as the backup to Watson if he beats out We Done the rest of training camp. Get Brown in camp and get the OL fixed.

Be bold and definitive.

14. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

From what I saw in the Carolina game, Savage is a game manager with a low ceiling and its a rare team that can ride that type of QB play to the Super Bowl. At this early, early juncture, I would be surprised if Savage is our starter beyond the 1st month of the season. That said, rook looked like a rook missing wide open receivers and having to throw the ball away. To be a good NFL starting QB its 1....2....throw. Being able to make such a quick decision correctly and deliver with pinpoint accuracy is what separates the handful of star NFL QB's from the other 2/3 of the league searching for a star QB. Watson certainly is not that at this point in time. Mobility buys time and in the Carolina game Watson was at his best when he was getting outside the pocket. In the pocket it was low risk short slants....not much more productive than the game manager label I applied to Savage. Thus the dilemma with mobile QB's lacking size in the NFL. Most need to use their feet to be effective, but never make it two seasons before their mobility puts them on IR and when they return from IR they try to become pocket passers which they really never developed the skill set to be. Vince Young, Robert Griffin are prime examples. Russell Wilson seems to be the one exception and should be the model for any aspiring undersized QB trying to make it in the league.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When they can trust Watson to make passes he should start and not before. While Watson showed why some people are really high on him, he also showed that he's not ready to be a starter. He needs to be able to put in the time to fix his footwork and his accuracy problems before being thrown to the wolves. If he can do that, he's got a chance to be special.

red5rocket likes this.
  16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He didn't make a lot of mistakes because coach didn't ask him to do a lot. If it's there , go for it, if not check down or run.

And can yall please stop comparing the two. It's starting to get old.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Blame it on Skip Bayless, he gave them their talking points and they are rolling with them.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  18. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Footwork??? your kidding right. have you seen Savage footwork. I understand he needs to work on his accuracy, but he has so much pocket presence and poise..

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Watson because you don't move up that many spots for a clipboard holder. Plus you go with the QB with the most upside anyways. Watson skillset opens up the playbook so much.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Good analysis overall, but I don't see Watson as undersized. Looks big and athletic to me.