1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How did you first hear about Clutchfans?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Aug 7, 2017.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Well.. Was lurking on the site on and off since beginning, then finally joined few years ago. I remember at one point posting on chron.com a lot, I should have just joined then since all my posts were wasted there. If I had joined originally I could have been a 99er, if only I could get a redo, haha.

I remember at some point in 96/97 being downtown and at my sister's work on the weekend for her to catch up from being out of the office (oil company, obviously) and finding clutchcity.net while using their t1/t3 downloading some game demos from kickassgames.comt (I removed auto link, don't go there now, it's similar to how it was in 96/97 but it used to offer serious game demos quake etc, now it looks like garbage stuff) and thinking I needed real internet at home as the 14.4/28.8 at home sucked.

#21 CCity Zero, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

It was in a mid 90s Houston Chronicle article written by their technology columnist at the time. He recommended using Alta Vista as a search engine and clutchcity.com for Rockets stuff.

ghettocheeze, TMac'n and CCity Zero like this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Youtube rockets highlights that said "clutchfans" at the end

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

2005 or so when my friend mentioned this forum with a bunch of rockets fans.
    signed up. original username ...well lets not get into that. haha.
    signed up again.

been visiting multiple times a day for the last 12 years..

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  5. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

I was looking for a Rockets desktop background when I was in 7th grade back in 2001 and it brought me to this site. I lurked for years before finally joining. Now I visit everyday anf post maybe 3-4 times a year, baby steps.

Bäumer likes this.
  6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

It was way back in 1996. I barely remember 2016 and 2006. How can I remember what happened in 1996?

pgabriel, CCity Zero and Os Trigonum like this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Back when **** looked something like, alt.newsgroups.sports.nba.houston.pee-pee-games.gig-em.etc,etc, YOU'VE GOT MAIL, GOODBYE. Back BEFORE y'alls BELOVED hashtags.

CCity Zero and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Don't lie to them. Tell everyone the real story. You and your twin brother, who were on the Harvard rowing team, originally created the site but y'all called it "theclutchcity.net" then Dave and Justin Timberlake came and stole the idea.

Jontro and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This again?? ;)

I was looking for some information in the Spring of 1999, anything about the Rockets, and discovered the BBS. It was pretty good timing. I lurked all through the Steve Francis craziness, with Popeye and The Mall Guy giving the BBS the scoop on the stunning trade. Like the OP, it took a long time for me to go from lurking to becoming a member. Freaked me out when the site "disappeared" for a while in the Fall! I thought it was simply gone, and then ClutchCity returned as ClutchFans and the rest is history. :)

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Was a lurker on prosportdaily.com for years, became a member in 2009, heard about clutchfans, lurked, became a member when the Rockets, Texans and Astros forums on prosportsdaily all but died.

11. Roscoe Arbuckle

It never disappeared. It was just odd for awhile.

12. Poloshirtbandit

I don't remember how I found this site, but my story is probably similar. I used to lurk H-I too.

Killatron 2000 and TMac'n like this.
  13. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Is there another thread? I tried to search, I couldn't find one that had been started.

Seems to be the trend, everyone seems to lurk for years before actually joining. I guess some posters come off as intimidating or just too much knowledge (i.e.: _holic)

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  14. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Yeah, that was the site I lurked for years starting in like 1999. I just checked it out recently and it's pretty much a ghost town compared to what it used to be. The Ramblings section used to be so active and was hilarious.

Do you remember this guy?

[​IMG]

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I should. Those came to my house almost daily back then.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. Roscoe Arbuckle

I found this site by searching for Rockets news back in the 90's. I became obsessed after our championships.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

You know... That might be how I found it, was on chron.com a ton back then

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, I should have kept the CD's/floppies for that.. Hopefully mine actually got recycled, it seemed like I got them weekly.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Twas looking for a fan clutch for my car.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have been on here since 1996 or 1997 as well, I think. I'm pretty sure I was here before Clutch switched to .com. When Clutch agreed to give up the .com site, I was on the new site with a different user name first.

Anyway, forget 99ers. I was definitely here before 1999. :p

Deckard likes this.