1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How did you first hear about Clutchfans?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Aug 7, 2017.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Just what to hear from other posters about their roots and how they found themselves on Clutchcity.net

Here's my story: In 2004, I was on another local Houston forum (houston-imports.com/forums to be exact) and was lurking in their sports section. I noticed posters on their referencing Clutchfans and calling out posters and things like that.

I took a gander myself and began lurking heavily from that point on. In 2007, I grew some balls and began posting myself.

Jayzers_100 and ghettocheeze like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think I just came across it while I was looking stuff up to post on the old CBS sports message board. I was a regular there for a few years. So I knew about it for a while, lurked for a couple years or so, then ponied up the money to join (at that time it cost $10 to register).

Pics or gfto

3. TMac'n

Here you go, now go get you a pair

[​IMG]
    It cost you money to register? I've contributed over the years but never paid to register

4. VanityHalfBlack

From a sibling. Been an active member ever since. It's one of the only forums that carries on a decent conversation for god sakes. I hate facebook.

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. body slam

body slam Member

Heard about it on the radio.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  6. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

I found this through a Yahoo search many years ago. I started visiting in 1996 when the site was hosted on a college server, before Clutch bought a dedicated .com name.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was searching the internet looking for a place to post my hate for David Anderson. Now I get to post about my hate for ryan Anderson.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did a search for "Lin only fans" and this site came up first

9. hvic

hvic Member

Heard from a friend years ago that still lurks around like crazy but never post. Shout out to John and Im sure he will read this

10. SuraGotMadHops

In 2005 I was living in Dallas and getting homesick for Rockets stuff, came across clutchfans just internet searching for Rockets articles. Lurked for a few years then joined.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

was doing my thesis on the number 99 and this site came up during research.

gotsis, Rox11, ghettocheeze and 3 others like this.
  12. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I was like 15 years old and just read basketball stuff non stop. Was primarily active on a site called Hoopsworld but knew of this place. When Hoopsworld went away I started spending all my internet time here (and a couple other sites...)

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Along time ago when AOL was the way most folks used the internet, I was in a discussion there about the Houston Rockets. It was during the time when Hakeem Olajuwon was believed to be leaving the Rockets. I was debating with people regularly on that AOL site. I complained about the level of discussion there and somebody pointed me to Clutchfans. I had a different moniker when I first joined, but I never looked back.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  14. TMac'n

This is kinda my scenario. I was living in Dallas at the time as well and the [TMac/Juwan Howard/Tyron Lue] trade for [Francis/Mobley/Kelvin Cato] was going down. Living in Dallas and trying to talk to anyone about the trade was really hard, especially with all the Mavs bandwagon going full steam after their first playoff appearance in 2001 after 11 years of no post-season (how freaking pathetic).

So yeah, I lived in DFW from the start of the full bandwagon years and into the MFFL years. Nobody I knew cared for the Rockets up there, the Mav's were doing good, and my Sunday's were spent with Dallas friends watching the crappy Cowboys who sucked with Quincy Carter at QB. Thankfully I moved back to Houston in 2005

The TMac trade is what got me looking for local forums, luckily I found it.

15. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

About the same for me except I was in Austin at the time.

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

do you still have a lot of coasters around the house made out of old AOL discs? :D

Amiga and DudeWah like this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh man, FB, me too

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Old roomate from college put me on it. He showed me the Ryan Bowen April Fools joke. I think that was around 06 or 07. I lurked for a while on and off and finally jumped in around 2012 once I became chained to a desk all day.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes it did. I think it's why I was made a Contributing Member from day 1.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Master Google

iconoclastic likes this.