1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Texans Training Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jul 25, 2017.

1. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Is not like Tom Savage will play 16 games. He will break in 6 or 8 games. Then Deshaun Watson will start.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well you can hold out hope for that, but it's hoping against what is best for the team most likely....or at least what guys like Nuk think is best for the team.

Also, if the O line is so poor that Savage gets hurt, what makes you think Watson wouldn't end up hurt too?

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I think they bring in weeden. As far as Watson, his biggest issue in camp is that he's tucking and running right out of the gate. I can see him doing that more in games; going back to bad habits

4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

What defensive unit is he going against?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. That's why I don't want to see him at all this season. I think he might have some potential, but not if he's allowed to develop bad habits and not if he gets destroyed trying to scramble similar to RG3. I want them to bring him along slowly and insert him into the game only after he's completely learned the offense backwards and forwards and has worked to eliminate some of his bad habits from college.

zeeshan2 likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans' second string.

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Watson is more athletic, that will help him break tackles.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not as athletic as RG3 once was....how'd that help him?

Hoping that Savage gets hurt only sets your boy Watson up for failure long term....not to mention what it does to the team. Could it happen? Sure, but people who care about the Texans doing well shouldn't be pulling for that outcome.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I haven't seen that anywhere. Legitimately curious where you heard that.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

lol Jags

AFS likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I remember reading it and posting it in the Watson thread or training camp thread

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Watson is not a runner, like RG3. Watson is a pocket passer with mobility.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't suggesting that he was. I was responding to someone hoping that Savage gets hurt and I was asking them if the O line is so poor that Savage gets hurt, what makes him think that Watson won't also get hurt....he then responded with a comment about Watson's athleticism and I then told him that RG3 was MUCH more athletic than Watson and it didn't help him much.

Point is, we shouldn't be hoping that Savage gets hurt just so Watson can get on the field quicker. Not only does it set the team up for failure, it also sets Watson up for failure.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Stop it. He didn't say he wanted Savage or anyone else to get hurt. He merely commented that Savage would probably get hurt in 6 or 8 games, allowing Watson to start.

I actually will be surprised to see Savage make it to the third regular season game before getting injured. I don't want him to get hurt, as I think he can be a good QB. But, so far in his career Savage has shown to be injury prone.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well you can say that, but it sounds an awful lot like people hoping that happens so that they can rush their hero into action.....which of course would set him up for failure, but people don't seem to understand that.

I'm hoping the preseason games open some eyes so that fans will accept Savage as the starter this season instead of holding out hope he gets hurt. Also, even if he does get hurt, the Texans would be smart to protect the future by rolling with Weeden over him.

Shark44 likes this.
  17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This should be how our coaching staff is thinking, but its weird he's already #2 on the depth chart ahead of Weeden. I really want Deshaun to have some time to develop and not get thrown to the wolves. All of us good Texans "Remember the Alamo" and we should also "Remember David Carr"... how we handled him crushed all of his potential--truly a shame.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For EXACTLY that reason, I don't want to see Watson get thrown out there if the O line is so bad that they get Savage hurt.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am really thinking based on camp reports that the OL is going to be improved. That would be a real plus for the entire team. Preseason games may be more interesting this year than ever before. It just feels like this team is on the cusp of stepping up. The defense appears solid; it is the offense that must step up to the next level. And, play calling has to improve. We haven't seen creative play calling on this team for a very long time if ever.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

According to the Houston Chronicle, Tom Savage is "clearly" ahead of rookie Deshaun Watson through two weeks of Texans camp.

The Chronicle's John McClain says Savage "has been terrific" in practice, showing an ability to "make every throw," is "respected by teammates," and "knows this offense" better than the rookie. Savage remains the tentative favorite to start Week 1, but we don't expect him to last long. In Weeks 1-3, the Texans will likely struggle to move the ball versus Jacksonville, at Cincinnati, and at New England. A ready-made game for Watson to start would be Week 4 at home against the Titans.