1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Redick said he was on the verge of joining Rockets, but HOU changed 4-year offer to 3-year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fullcourt, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

No need for another thread, Reddick understands the game and how especially Morey has tons of scenarios and players on a board. The man thinks ahead and probably figured in 4 years with potentially Harden, CP3, paying Capela and whomever on the board there's little room for a big contract on a one-dimensional player though a very good one. No big deal. He might not have come here anyway with his wife's wishes and his own.

don grahamleone and Tfor3 like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He'll go on the list of elite shooters that I want to join the Rockets every year that just never materializes.

Yung-T, Richie_Rich, T for 3 and 5 others like this.
  4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

JJ also said he didn't join partly because he knows that Money may flip him as an asset.

True Rocket and TheRealAllpro like this.
  5. Nivos

Nivos Member

I just listened to it. I love hearing Reddick, always feels like he speaks fron the heart, no bulshit.
    Most interesting was him saying that you take in consideration with Morey that you sign for 3-4 years and then potentialy being dealt after 6 months. For players with family and kids that might be a bigger consideration than what we think.
    Still, don't think he was worth paying a lot of money for. I'm happy paying Tucker and Luc than paying him 14-16 mil/yr.

#5 Nivos, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No hard numbers tossed around in that tweet. We don't know just what kind of contract Reddick was hoping for from Houston. Considering the contract he signed with Philadelphia, after saying he wouldn't sign a one year deal, he could have been asking for anything. Having said that, I wish Morey could have found a way to get him.

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We essentially chose Tucker over Redick because of the 4th year. I think it's something that needs to be understood by the fan base, and is worth measuring as the next couple years play out for both players.

8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It seems Morey has formed a rep around the league of flipping non -superstar assets in a minute. JJ mentioned that four year deal can quickly become 6 month asset sweetener for a bigger asset or superstar. I wonder does this affect other role player decisions to sign here.

In recent memory. Only Lou Williams comes to mind as been flipped that quickly so maybe the rep is falsely given

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Not a fan of JJ. I'd rather Lou be back. You guy think Lou was inconsistent in the offs then I guessed you never JJ in may. Hell even back at duke, he used to have some horrible March Madness performances

10. Carl Herrera

So, what JJ is saying is that PJ Tucker, Nene, Trevor Ariza, etc. better watch their back. Doesn't matter who recruited you or whose friend you are, you are a trade asset unless you actually have no-trade rights.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

True. If Reddick didn't play well enough --> traded for another role player or salary dump ASAP
    If he played great --> included in trade for a star

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I still think we dodged a bullet with Redick. He was not good in the playoffs for the Clippers last season. He just turned 33 years old. And he would've cost a lot of money given what he eventually signed for in Philly.

You can never have too many shooters, but we've got enough scoring already on this team(especially if we do eventually deal Ryno for Melo). I like that we're prioritizing defense with acquisitions like Tucker and a Moute(and of course Paul).

saleem likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Whatever. I prefer the defense of Tucker.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The only recourse is to pull a Ryno - he successfully exited asset prison.

15. Carl Herrera

He may not have positive asset value, but he can still get traded.

Tfor3 likes this.
  16. mario_v

mario_v Member

Good. Rockets don't need another overpaid Ryan Anderson.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Third thread on same discussion by Redick, and nearly identical quotes. Wish we could merge with othe Redick threads "Rockets offer more money" so we don't have to rewrite our thoughts again. Tiresome some times.

As I posted in the original Redick interview thread, Clearly we were offering the full MLE rather than giving it to Tucker. Not like we were going to clear cap space for him.

Keep in mind, in the original self-made podcast by Redick with his accompanying documentary showing the family angle, multi years was very important.

Tucker's deal gives Redick >$12m than Philly and the years and stability he wanted. A three year version is slightly more than Philly. Seems clear Philly matched the dollars that they knew we were capped at by the MLE, but we wouldn't guarantee the 4th yr.

Holic is going to tell you we had a SnT of $50m for 3yrs in the works. You know how he loves the speculation freedom those SnT always allow one to get around the problems of salary cap issues. Yet Redick still never mentions it even in this new interview.

MrButtocks, Deuce and Deckard like this.
  18. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

How many times can a team land a top 3 PG?

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm with you. Committing a healthy 4-year contract to a 33 year-old like Redick is a recipe for buyers remorse.

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Knicks have overvalued Melo and undervalued Ryno - especially when one considers the outrageous money recently given to semi-craptastic players.

Knicks are coming off bipolar, dysfunctional, spiteful, envious and temperamental