1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA trade rumors: Knicks keeping Carmelo Anthony over taking Rockets offer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Aug 4, 2017.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Steve Kyler, enough said.

So what's next?

Anthony in Knicks training camp in September, according to NBA insider Steve Kyler.

The Basketball Insiders writer broke down the latest in the Anthony saga and what the Knicks are thinking about an underwhelming possibility with the Rockets.

With the Knicks front office situation settled, the prevailing thought in NBA circles is that the Knicks are not going to agree to the long-rumored trade with the Houston Rockets. The commentary coming out of New York is that a Houston deal offers nothing of real value to the Knicks and moving Carmelo simply to take on contracts and players they do not want or view as pieces of the future is not appealing or agreeable to Knicks leadership.

The Knicks at this point seem like they will bring Anthony to training camp if he will not expand his list of agreeable trade destinations or unless the return through Houston changes to their favor.

The problem facing the Rockets is that the Knicks do not want the players they would be willing to move and by involving additional teams they will be diluting the possible return to the Knicks, as each new team takes something of value out of a package for themselves.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

tonyt8605 and napalm06 like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

"With the Knicks front office situation settled, the prevailing thought in NBA circles is that the Knicks are not going to agree to the long-rumored trade with the Houston Rockets. The commentary coming out of New York is that a Houston deal offers nothing of real value to the Knicks and moving Carmelo simply to take on contracts and players they do not want or view as pieces of the future is not appealing or agreeable to Knicks leadership.

The Knicks at this point seem like they will bring Anthony to training camp if he will not expand his list of agreeable trade destinations or unless the return through Houston changes to their favor.

The problem facing the Rockets is that the Knicks do not want the players they would be willing to move and by involving additional teams they will be diluting the possible return to the Knicks, as each new team takes something of value out of a package for themselves."

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Steve Kyler. My God, what an American success story. From lunch money victim to click-bait extraordinaire.

"I have no real skills. I can type. I'm an NBA fan." Light bulb begins to sputter above his head. "I'll be an NBA beat writer! I don't have any contacts? I'll just make s*** up. Just you watch."

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

Yup, could totally see this happening and wouldn't mind it.

Kendrick Lamar and amaru like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

The greatest thing we have to offer is an avenue for the Knicks to finally get rid of Melo and move on. Other than that, we are offering up garbage. Melo doesn't have much trade value. The Knicks have to know this. The Clippers weren't even willing to give up a package of Austin Rivers, Jamal Crawford, and the corpse of Paul Pierce for Melo. The Cavs refused to give up Kevin Love. Melo has very little value. It is what it is.

feelgoodjones likes this.
  8. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I completely agree with this article IMO. It corresponds to the perpetual wait...The Knicks have all the leverage UNLESS Melo becomes unhinged OR the Rox sweeten the deal. I personally think Morey will be forced to throw in Ego. It would suck, but remember last year he miraculously defied extended injury. He's one year older and I think it's a matter of time before the inevitable materializes...

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Steve Kyler?

And OP isn't banned yet?

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

It's been pretty obvious this was the view from the Knicks Front Office. The homerism on this site blinded a lot of posters in seeing how little it made sense for them to send us Melo.
    Of course I'll be attacked now, called pessimistic (which is true) and whatever else, but at the end of the day unless Capela is included, or maybe EG and Trevor in a complicated 3 way, Melo isn't coming here.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Gordon and Capela will not be traded in my opinion. Getting rid of either is too big a risk because of two reasons. There is no guarantee the team would be better without Anderson and Gordon/Capela and with Carmelo (actually they would probably be worse) The other reason is if Lebron or another top 20 player wants to join Harden/Paul/Melo(?) next offseason you have to have Capela and Gordon to get it done or else I don't really see how it happens without them, those are the Rockets only good assets left.

12. sheb

sheb Member

I missed it, what's the deal with Steve Kyler ?
    No cred?

13. jayfree

jayfree Member

You know, we gave the Knicks an aging T-Mac. The least they can do is return the favor with an aging Melo

14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Melo thread? Melo thread![​IMG]

Remlap and DonKnock like this.
  15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Knicks have all the leverage? Melo has the most leverage due to the NTC. We're in the fortunate position that he picked us. That's the only reason why we're even in the conversation. The Knicks are in an unfortunate position. They've stated their goals of youth, athleticism, and rebuilding which Melo doesn't really help with. They want him off the team, but to do so it's going to be on his terms. Ultimately, they can just keep him but it costs them in their rebuilding efforts. Hardaway and Melo already have a bad history.

Leverage is being able to sit back and say "I'm good". We'll likely have a very successful season with or without Melo. You're probably overestimating Morey's desire to pursue him. We're not giving up Gordon and Anderson for Melo. That's a lateral move or even a downgrade. Even if we traded Ryno straight up for Melo we'd likely be the underdogs to GS, so why break the bank for him?

Madmanmetz, 34to11, Why not? and 5 others like this.
  16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Houston Rockets Leverage
    - Carmelo Anthony wants to come here
    - Daryl Morey is our GM
    - We are actually fine without Melo

Carmelo Anthony Leverage
    - Has a No Trade Clause
    - Worst case scenario is to continue living in a nice city for two more years on a very cushy contract
    - New York Knicks don't want him to stay

New York Knicks Leverage
    - Can sit on Melo as a power move
    - Can reject trades from Houston
    - Melo doesn't want to play for them

vince, slothy420, No Chance and 3 others like this.
  17. Salvy

Salvy Member

Wish they kept Melo and Ryno goes off this year only for Melo to come here anyways next year and them lose out on Ryno who then becomes the face of the Clippers upon trade request from The Rockets.

RocksMillenium likes this.
  18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Wow. So we have been talking about Melo and, due to his no-trade clause, wanting to come to Houston for what, 2 months now? But it still hasn't happened?

This guy really went out on a limb with all of his "insider information" here...

19. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Knicks are dumb. Take the players and ask for future assets. It's simple.

Ryno could be moved around the deadline if anything or next summer.

Cash Cam likes this.
  20. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

And I think it still wont happen until close to training camp. when the things really heats up

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.