1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Summer League] Zhou Qi Highlight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheMystery008, Jul 7, 2017.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to add the stats to your video

NBA Summer League Stats - Totals

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Zhou-Qi/Summary/33432

Code:
    NBA Summer League Stats - Totals

SORT:SEASON ↑
    COLUMNS:SWIPE
    Season    Team    Location     GP    GS    MIN    FGM    FGA    FG%    3PM    3PA    3P%    FTM    FTA    FT%    OFF    DEF    TRB    AST    STL    BLK    PF    TOV    PTS
    2017-18    HOU    Las Vegas       5    5    125.2    10    33    .303    3    21    .143    8    13    .615    7    17    24    4    6    10    23    8    31
    CAREER                                 
                                      5    5    125.2    10    33    .303    3    21    .143    8    13    .615    7    17    24    4    6    10    23    8    31

2. jogo

jogo Member

I didn't think he played soft at all in the summer league. He's skinny and needs to work on rebounding but he certainly didn't shy away from contact on defense and wasn't afraid to bang inside. He missed a ton of 3's but that's not his game yet. What did you see that makes you say he's soft?

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  3. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Buddy, you are embarrassing.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The NBA and its teams are the most structured basketball league in the world. When he comes here, for the first time in his career he's going to be told a million things not to do, and a couple of things to focus on improving and using on the court. There are a bunch of posters for you here that can name the 10-15 plays we run for most of every one of our 82+ games - and we are one of the most fluid/flexible teams in that regard. We don't do post ups or mid range, which is easily half of all the options aka "freedom".

And it's a good thing. The results are better. But let's not get carried away with this hollywood narrative.

5. basketballholic

I like the little bits I've seen of Xi defensively. It's going to be interesting to see if he can build on that at training camp. If........if.........if he can continue to block shots and change shots then I like his chances to be a contributor early in his career.

vlaurelio likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

10 blocks, 6 steals and and 24 r
    25 mpg

2 blocks
    1.2 steals
    4.8 rebounds

7. tinman

Supporting Member

I know I was there.
    Look at how many fouls he got and his shooting.
    31 fouls in 5 games
    He ain't ready

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think it's 31 points and 23 fouls. Still too many.

And why is he taking so many 3s?

9. tinman

Supporting Member

You are right my bad.

He's camping at the 3 point line most of the time.
    Defense is ok.

Young and not ready yet. Ignore the mix video and watch the whole games

10. dmoneybangbang

Still an interesting prospect, but seems like he is destined for mostly G-League play his first two years.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

This entire post is an oxymoron. The entire reason NBA players need to learn a million things in the first place is because the NBA runs some of the LEAST structured offense of any professional league. The more structured the offense, the less often players need to react on the fly.

The whole "the game needs to slow down for them" speel that everyone says about NBA rookies? That's because in college, they do not need to make NEAR as many decisions per second, compared to a motion offense in the NBA.

If anything, the narrative is that a more structured offense is harder for a player to learn, when the exact opposite is true.

13. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

I believe a lot of people are confusing Qi summer league as a showcase..... when in actuality it seemed like more of a test case.....

The rockets obviously know what this kid can do as they have watched him since the day he was drafted...What they wanted to see is if he can do what THEY want him to do..... here's why I think this:

1. offensively he never really played his game. no mid range shot, no post shots, and very little pick and roll.

2. He played a ton of minutes which is usually unusual for a rockets summer league. no games off and very little bench time.

3. he was allowed to play defense as normally would..... and was allowed to roam..... which is why he had more success on this end as it came naturally to him.

I believe that he were allowed to take the mid shots or elbow shots you would see better scoring numbers...

but like I said I believe the rockets were testing several things from him.

stamina
    fit
    shooting
    adaptability

basketballholic likes this.
  14. basketballholic

Agreed. Terrible writing, good points.

Here's another point the author forgot. Xi signed a 4-year deal. This is significant. Very significant. I don't think we've got another second rounder/undrafted free agent to agree to a four-year deal since Parsons.

What a four year deal means is that we are going to do everything we can to expedite Xi's development into the rotation. Why? Because if we can develop him into a rotation player this season, then we have three more seasons to enjoy his value. When you get a full-fledged rotation player that is going to give you 20+ quality minutes a night, you've got an extreme bargain and it allows you much more roster flexibility.....or in our case much lower luxury tax payments over paying some other player 3-6 million or more for the same production.

The writer did mention his length. But just to give a little more perspective concerning his length/athleticism. Qi's no-step max vertical reach is 12 feet. That's a full 6 inches higher than Capela and even 4 inches higher than Gobert.

No step max vertical is an important indicator of defensive potential. It's not everything. Doesn't guarantee defensive success at the NBA level for big men. But it's an indicator. Because the no step max vertical is an actual basketball move. Most of the time bigs are sliding over and then going up off two feet. Yes, there are the chase downs in transition but those make up a relatively small part of a big man's defensive moves. When a guy can stand, leap and hit twelve feet, it's significant. Because it means he has the capacity to alter shots more. Think about it. You are a guard penetrating the paint. You gotta get the shot up and in the basket over an 11'6" barrier or a 12' barrier. Which shot are you going to hit less accurately? It's not just about blocks. Blocks are a relatively small part of what a big does defensively. It's much more about how many shots he alters and to what degree he alters them. And about how much he narrows the passing lanes.

That's a significant difference between Qi and Capela/most bigs. Look, he's got 4 inches on Gobert here.

Next, when you look at his speed end-to-end, and his ability to switch. For a big man, he's very fast and very quick. He's going to get up and down faster then most bigs including Capela. Does he have the stamina to sustain that advantage? At his current weight.....no question, yes. How much weight can he gain without losing speed, quickness, and stamina? Unknown.

Next, you look at his ability to shoot the three. And when you consider the true ideal fit for MDA's offense......you have to know it includes a 5 man shooting the three right along with finishing on the pick-and-roll. Morey can hype Capela all he wants that CC is the prototypical modern-day center. But there's something better out there. And that's what I just described. The guy that can defend the paint and switch, finish the PnR, and pop outside and nail threes.

Yes, he shot terribly in summer league. No, it doesn't mean anything. Other than that he was uncomfortable in the environment. He's got a stroke. An already proven stroke...at least under a non-NBA environment. He basically needs to work out the kinks. Little adjustments here and there such as shortening up his hitch. But were talking about a guy who hasn't even started his career. He's got 4 years to polish up his three ball. Compare his three ball to Capela's non-existent shot. And CC is going into his fourth season.

I suspect it won't take but a couple months actually playing games at RGV for Qi to have that stroke working at around 35% or so. Then a couple more months to fine tune it. Then the adjustments to the NBA level.

Lastly, bulk. The last thing Qu needs is to get bulky. Strengthen his core....fine. But bulk him up significantly....No. Look at Kristaps. Does he need to bulk up? No. Yet that's what most people were saying about him when he was drafted. Same thing here. Qi is going to gain a few pounds over here in the states by working with our trainers and changing his eating habits. He'll bulk up some naturally as he ages as well. Bulk is one of the lowest priorities with the modern day big man. Even guys like DeMarcus are recognizing the need for speed, quickness, and stamina over brute strength/bulk and are dropping weight like crazy to match up better with their peers. Lack of bulk is being way over emphasized with Qi.

Qi is the most intriguing player on our roster. I will be watching him close in training camp. And I suspect he'll get significant time to show whether or not he can play with the big boys and where he is developmentally. He's doing a ton of work this summer. I expect we're going to try to speed up his development and make him our next 5 man or at the very least an understudy 5 man. And unless Capela makes a huge turn defensively, I suspect we'll trade him either this season or sign-and-trade him next summer. And Qi could very well be who replaces him. I simply cannot see this team paying much more for a starting center than what Nene makes unless that player is a bona fide superstar. It appears to me that if Qi shows that he can handle things defensively on par with or better than Capela that we will move on from Capela by the start of the 2018-19 season if not before, unless Capela really emerges as a defensive/rebounding force this next season.

cmlmel77 and vlaurelio like this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

This dude needs to call up and work with Tayshaun Prince this summer or at least watch some tape. This is the lanky, skinny, game he should try and emulate. Of course he won't ever be as good as Prince was but he would have a long NBA career as a serviceable player.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Anyone who watched summer league knows this guy isn't a rotation player in any way this year.

If I'm proven wrong it seems because he improves considerably in a Clint Capela year one kind of way.

17. basketballholic

I did watch him and I think he has a legit chance to become a rotation player for us by the end of the season. We may be saying the same thing. I'm not willing to state it stronger than that. But Qi is the most intriguing player on this roster as far as I'm concerned. And with his contract it's in out best interest to make him look good and develop him you enhance his own trade value and to possibly make Capela an expendable trade asset.

18. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Let Zhou Qi shoot that mid range J

19. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I like Joe Chee a lot but he ain't replacing Capella next year... sorry, not happening.

Bobsputin, Mathloom and tinman like this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd say he has a chance, though not a "legit" chance. Small, but meaningful difference I think. Like there's a 1%-2% chance at best. Which is more than nothing, but not meaningful.

And I don't find him that intriguing, really. I think everyone is intrigued because (1) so tall, (2) so lanky, (3) China ... and I get all that ... but am intrigued by so many other things/players way before Qi. Like PJ Tucker's defensive potential. Like CP3 -obviously.

I don't see Qi as a center even in his best case projection. I'd admit that I was probably as "impressed" by his defensive potential - solid switching, uses his length well on switches and to make interior shots harder, etc. - in summer league as anything he did but was also as disappointed by certain aspects of it, like rebounding.

If he develops into a stretch PF with limited rebounding and some defensive potential... hey, that's Ryan Anderson with defensive potential so that MIGHT work.