1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017/2018 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Time to do a thread for teh upcoming season, hopefully a good one.

We witnessed a season with ups and downs, drama (f*** teh refs) and some historical title runs.
    Real defended the CL last season, so let's hope we see a different outcome this time around. :confused:

Feel free to predict this year's winners, Tizzle predictions for titles:

CL: Bayern (depends on injuries, as always)
    EL: Arsenal

La Liga: Real
    EPL: Chelsea
    Bundesliga: Bayern
    Serie A: Juve (Milan closing in though, great transfer summer)
    France: PSG
    Eredivisie: PSV
    Kazakhstan: Astana (this one gonna spark some heated debate from our resident Kairat fans)

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

EPL is not predictable for me

I probably predict ManU will be among the Top 3 again. Hotspur will be Hotspur, likely 2nd to 3rd place.

It is time for Tottenham to win it all. They have enough firepower, good enough D to challenge Chelsea, although Walker is gone.

Monaco still has a chance to repeat. Some players are gone.....Jardim is still there.

I also hope for Feyenoord that they can be among the Top 2.

#2 daywalker02, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Bayern absolutely dominating Arsenal but one wrong offside decision and ref swallowed the whistle on one penalty.

Sanches then of course with a stupid turnover which leads to a 93rd minute equalizer. In the penalty shootout, Sanches with the crucial miss.
    Boy can't catch a break aye.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Reportedly 80mil, lulz. EPL gonna EPL.

6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Morata scored a ton of important goals for Madrid last year. Wish him well.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

IT IS THE YEAR OF LIVERPOOL!

KLOPP AT THE KOP GONNA KILL IT!

Junebball, OldManBernie and Yung-T like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I will fantasy play the heck out of Mahamed Salah......

Jontro likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now perhaps Neymar Jr. to PSG

what time to not be alive

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

SWTsig and OldManBernie like this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

i actually really dislike that ynwa song. it's puke inducing. but that ynwa as a motto sounds cool... or creepy if you're walking alone at night thru an empty park or alleyway

Yung-T likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Didn't believe this Neymar-PSG thing one bit, but now Radio Catalunya saying deal is 95% done and Neymar already agreed to terms.
    Barca though saying no one could sign him for that money without violating FFP. Next hours will be interesting.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It has a tad to do with his father Neymar Senior doing work behind scenes and that Neymar is somehow feeling overshadowed by Leo......bummer.

Some reports say PSG already 'bought his dad'. FWIW

[​IMG]

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Father reportedly netting far more than 40mil with the deal, nowadays' agents are like mafia.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I realize it's essentially the first game of the preseason but the Rashford-Lukaku-Mkhitaryan combo has some pretty amazing potential this season. I don't believe goals are going to be as hard to come by.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

#17 daywalker02, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  18. Raz

Raz Member

This is getting out of hands and that's why I will stop watching sooner or later.

19. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Huge surprise if Neymar goes to PSG. I understand his reported motivation of getting out from under Messi's shadow, but I don't understand his choice of PSG. You certainly don't go to a team that isn't nearly as popular as Barcelona and a league that isn't as strong as La Liga if you want to get on the level of Messi or Ronaldo. I can't imagine him getting the same endorsement opportunities on PSG as he does in Barcelona. I can't imagine his development as a footballer being as forceful playing in Ligue 1. His only chance at a Ballon d'Or on PSG would be winning the World Cup with Brazil since they won't win the Champions League and no one gets much credit for winning the French double. The same would be true on Barcelona, because of Messi, but that's why his move should have been to one of the Premier League giants.

Where does this leave Barcelona? They're definitely not as dangerous, but with the money they get they could possibly get deeper. But I wonder if more depth moves the needle much with them. They risk striking out as they did with Gomes, Alcacer, and Umtiti. And there's no way they get a player with as much fulfilled and future potential as Neymar. I also wonder if that type of player would be reticent to move to a team that is proving to be more and more Messi-centric on and off the field.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As a minor Barca fan, I would actually advocate for rebuilding or minor retooling for now and rebuilding from scratch later.....

We got La Masia..., top talents, a couple of bad years perhaps and then get the next Big 3 or Big 2.

Ronaldo can't play forever as well.

From Romario, Stoichkov, Hagi to the Big Ronaldo moved to Inter and Real, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho faded, Eto'o, Ibra, Henry......they all gone.

#20 daywalker02, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017