1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Future of employement and wages

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Jul 20, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm curious to hear what Clutchfans thinks about the future of employment and wages.

When I look into my crystal ball I am pretty alarmed. I see a future (like 15 years from now) with unemployment skyrocketing because of technology killing jobs, including massive hits to the service sector. I look at my 3 year old and I wonder what the future will look like for her.

I know technology has killed jobs before in agriculture and manual labor, but when those jobs were replaced they created a more service oriented economy. We're entering a new era though and I don't see some massive new job space emerging to fill those lost by service sector employees.

What do you all think? I'm trying to be proactive and figure out some things I can do now to shield myself. Unfortunately I'm in a service industry and I don't see how my field can survive 20 years, maybe not even 10.

da_juice likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Blockchain gonna unemploy us all.

I have no idea what to expect. I just try to be my team's rep on all tech/"efficiency" projects in hopes that I can stay ahead of the curve.

Uprising likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not so lucky!

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

The future is in space colonization. Plenty of new skills needed in that industry as overpopulation makes the Earth uninhabitable.

5. jsingles

jsingles Member

I've thought the same thing for about 5 years now. The U.S. and world population continues to grow, but the jobs for humans will start to shrink at an alarming rate, what is going to happen to these people who lose their jobs and can't find another? What indeed will happen to your 3-year old? I think my job in the educational sector will be secure for the next 30 years before I retire, but even then I'm not so sure. I'm glad I'm in my early 30s and have a lifetime to live and enjoy, but I'd feel a lot better about things if I were born 10 years earlier, my career would be much more secure. I don't know if I want to see our's and the world's job market in 50 years, I think it could be extremely scary.

da_juice and justtxyank like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It seems to me that, at least in America, the system is getting more feudal -- so what did people do for employment in feudal times, and can that scenario, by analogy, make any predictions?

There wasn't much of a formal system connecting most people. They formed groups and towns, of course, but had to be incredibly independent for basics like food and shelter.

#6 B-Bob, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Let me know when technology can replace healthcare.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Two Sandwiches and donkeypunch like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We're all grunts for the upcoming Wal-Mart v. Amazon war.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The future is ****ing scary. The rapid pace in which technology has advanced in our generation will be the end of us.

iconoclastic likes this.
  11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Not good. Most tasks robots can already do many things better than us. Pretty soon with enough nodes machine will be able to learn better than us. Its just a matter of time until they take over.

iconoclastic likes this.
  12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

STEM or bust.
    Those that can afford re-education should start planning now.
    Those that can't afford re-education or are too old, hopefully we start entertaining the idea of a basic income.

No Worries likes this.
  13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OP, there are numerous articles you can read on predictions of which jobs are most easily and most likely to be automated.

Nobody knows for sure how things will play out, but it's probably going to be a wild ride.

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

There will always be jobs to fluff the robots. I mean to properly oil the machine.

iconoclastic, Jontro and B-Bob like this.
  15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Be the inventor of the technology that unemploys people.

Profit.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Damn. I thought it was just b/c I am old, but no, y'all are all pretty pessimistic about this.

If we don't have a basic income, it's going to get pretty awful, unless humanity suddenly gets a lot smarter on average.

Exiled likes this.
  17. jsingles

jsingles Member

I'm sadly extremely pessimistic about the outlook. I'm in my early 30's; I think by the time I reach 60 and think about retirement (hopefully I'll still have been employed until this time) driverless cars will be mainstream, taking people to restaurants and stores where there are minimal human employees as robots do a vast majority of the work. That's to say there will be any brick and mortar stores outside of specialty boutiques even open as everyone will be shopping in a more advanced online marketplace. Factories; including auto manufacturing, retail products will be automated from start to customer doorstep. Back in the 50's you could buy a hot meal from a vending machine, I could see that happening within a few decades on a much more advanced scale.

I think people around my age or younger need to enter a STEM field like Red said, or put themselves in a position, fortunately or unfortunately, where they are the boss and have to do the laying off instead of being laid off. It's a small reason why within a few short years I'm going to look into an administration role where my job security will be very strong.

Uprising likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm actually not that pessimistic. There will be work; though maybe not like my current accounting job. But there will be something. I wouldn't try to predict the future but when scarce resources are freed up people find a way to put them to use.

I just don't think we'll ever really be done with human-to-human interaction on most levels.

I'm much more concerned about why my left eye looks so red right now tbh. It's like a vein popped or something.

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

The responses in this thread are not what I expected at all.

I am not sure why anyone is worried. Old jobs die out and new jobs are created. That's how the entirety of human history has unfolded.

The best thing everyone can do is continue getting educated. Especially towards more technical things.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

the good news is, with the improvement of technology, wars will be fought by robots. aint nobody need to die.

i'm learning up on my basic jaeger knowledge.