1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey / Jerome Solomon Twitter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RasaqBoi, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

You should try and get them hard

2. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

hahaha

3. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

but formal y'all crying in this thread its funny !!!!!

someone said something about my rockets, they're wrong he's wrong he stupid make him go away LMAO !!!!!

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

you know what's also funny though. your post, because it doesn't make sense

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Daryl Morey on Jim Rome (...before the major announcement)

First thing that comes to mind with CP3 in a Rockets uniform?

Someone we've been obsessed with for a long time. We tried to trade for him a few years ago when he ended up going to the Clippers. One of the best point guard to ever play the game. Unfortunately not always regarded as that because he hasn't gotten as far in the playoffs, mostly because the team around him hasn't been strong enough. We feel like we have a team around him to go deep in the playoffs.

"Can CP3/Harden co-exist?" - does that question keep you up at night with concern, with excitement or not keep you up at all?

It would if James or Chris or Mike felt like it couldn't work. They've all worked together & feel good about it. We had a workout in Vegas where they played together for a couple hours. I got tingled. I was pretty excited. Both smart players who work on & off the ball. We're confident it will work.

"But who is the PG?" - How important is it, or with the offense you run, are those position distinctions not that important or as important as they used to be?

I don't know if they ever were important. Since I've been in basketball, it's been about people on the perimeter, on or off the ball and people on the interior. The five position designations don't really matter anymore. Can you stretch the floor or not? Can you play off the ball? Can you play on the ball? Those are the key questions. Next to James, you want someone who can shoot, defend & attack the basket. Chris can do that. Similarly who you want next to Chris is someone like James. We're pretty excited about it.

55-win season, COY, SMOY & Harden put up one of the all-time great seasons. Is it a success period or no because it didn't end with a ring?

Tough one. We generally say a successful season for us is making a conference finals. Not beating the Spurs would put us behind what you'd call the minimum for success. I've been in the league for 14 years now. My only goal is to a win a championship. There is some aspect of unless there's a ring, it's a disappointment. But if you don't at least say if you're one of the top 4 teams in the league, you have some satisfaction with the year, it could get to be a pretty depressing job honestly. I talked to Adam Silver. They're only letting one team win. It does get depressing if that's the only standard.

How good would it feel to be the team that derailed the Warriors dynasty?

One of the greatest things of my life obviously. They are one of the all-time great teams but teams as good as them have been knocked off. That's one reason we're in sports & love sports. Nothing is guaranteed. Bigger upsets have happened, if we're lucky to knock them off next year. We do take it as motivation. Normally, if you win 55-60 games, that gives you a pretty good chance of winning the title, 10%-20% of winning the title. Unfortunately with Golden State being where they're at, those odds are too low & we felt like we had to continue to go for folks like Chris Paul & continue to upgrade the team. It does keep up everyday focused on trying to beat them.

So where does that leave you then? Do you feel the roster you have now you have fully closed the gap on Golden State or more work to be done?

Yeah, there's more work to be done. They are one of the all-time great teams. I don't know if there's any combination of players we could add that would close the gap completely. I do think we've moved a lot closer to them. We've made ourselves much better position to give ourselves a chance to beat them in a 7-game series. There's thought experiments going around the NBA in Vegas Summer League about if you took players on every team not on Golden State or Cleveland, could you assemble a team that would for sure beat Golden State? If those types of questions are happening, it's gonna be a tough road to beat them.

I know you can't talk about guys specifically. Hypothetically, if you added a guy with a skill set similar to Carmelo Anthony? Would that guy fit in with what you have now?

We have to continue to take risks. Because the gap is so high, we have to take risks to add to the group. I've said it before, anytime you can add players from Team USA to compete with Golden State, it's a good thing.

Has Harden gone beyond your hopes & expectations?

Well beyond. We felt good about him being an all-star caliber player but to be one of the top 3-5 most iconic players in the league and sure HOFer if he continues the path he's on, that would have been hard for anyone anticipate.

You were ahead of the curve for so long. How do you stay ahead now with more teams using those tools/strategy?

It's tough. A lot of the low hanging fruit, doing things like getting 3 points for your shot instead of 2 and using data to help improve[cuts out], we were the top defensive team for the 3-year stretch when Yao Ming was healthy when I was first here. It's a constant struggle. It's a competition of 30. Keeping that edge is tough but that's the job, right? It's the job to continue pushing. Using things like SportsVu data where you get the position of the players & the ball and three dimensions 25 times a second, that kind of data hopefully allows you to keep an edge.

You are the definition of you don't rebuild, you reload. You've remade that team multiple times. How do you do that?

It's tough. Tanking is more reliable to getting back into contention. We've managed to avoid it. It is difficult. It's a rare set of teams who have done it. ... Our highest pick has been 14 in my tenure here. It's not easy. Spurs are the gold standard. They've moved onto their new core with Kawhi. It's extremely difficult.

You were one of the few who stood by Sam Hinkie when he was in Philadelphia. What they did & where they are now, what do you think?

They absolutely took the right moves. If you looked at their team when he got there, tanking was the right approach. Fruits of those decisions are coming home to roost. I expect Philly to be a great team over the next few years.