1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ESPN Pelton] Scouting Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Jul 14, 2017.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

2 years isn't a long time for a rookie wtf. He hasn't even played an NBA game but it'll take him too lobg to develop.

Do you realize Curry finished his rookie contract before he became a superstar? Thats why he was underpaid for so long he blew up 6 years after he was drafted and after he signed a contract less than the max. And Curry was a lottery pick everybody knew he was good from day 1!

I don't expect Joe to contribute this season at all, we are trying to get a top 2 seed in the NBA there's no time for developing rooks. But he can spend the year working on his body and refining his shot, it'll be good for him in the long run.

seeingred likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Thongg Maker was so bad Milwaukee had to stop playing him because he was just embarrassing himself against scrubs who won't make it in the NBA.

I think there's a high chance Maker will be a bust like that dude Grizzlies drafted ahead of Harden.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

You don't need to be there physically to watch games Mr. 1960s, in fact people like me who watched it on league pass had a much better view than you did because I can replay and zoom in as many times as I want whereas you have to rely on your faulty memory on what happened there.

Seeing you post about how being there live is superior to modern day technology is probably like seeing people boasting horses are still better than cars because of their connection of hearts or w/e back in the day when the model Ts where first rolled out. Get with the times old man.

Btw working out does wreck your shot. Dmo himself said he missed all his shots during his infamous predraft video because he worked out hard to expand his chest prior to the drills. It is because you use muscle memory to gauge the correct force needed to shoot. If you worked out your muscles are stronger so if you shoot using the same muscle memory and with the same effort as before, more force will be exerted than necessary and the shot will miss.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok I see there is an asterisk next to the box score that says
    Was working out that's why he shot 30% in 5 games

Yeah he's like porzingis and dirk and Yao mixed together

I see it now

D-rock likes this.
  5. Quadrakill Amumu

The dude hasn't really been a 3-point shooter. The Rockets just think that they can make him one given his ability to shoot the medium/long 2. While he did shoot a crazy percentage from 3 last season, it's almost certainly a small-sample-size outlier. I mean, the dude averaged like one 3-point attempt every three games. Outliers happen on that volume. He shot fine from inside the arc in Vegas. They just had him parked on the 3-point line for most of the summer league. I mean, around 2/3 of his shots were from behind the arc. It's going to take some adjustments to go from an almost exclusively inside-the-arc player to a high-volume 3-point-shooting floor spacer.

The encouraging thing is that, despite not doing many things correctly and looking pretty bad for a 26-year-old, he was making a difference out there. I think they were like +56 with Zochee on the floor if I remember correctly? I mean, Troy Williams was like +24 in comparison. Imagine how much better it could have been if Zochee were actually hitting those 3s at a decent rate and the Rockets had already cleaned up some of his obviously bad habits. The high potential is definitely there. The worrying part is his low motor.

wireonfire likes this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

The Rockets are the 3 point jacking team. They aren't going to change their offense for this dude. He has to play the Rockets game.
    Also, I'm tired of people who didn't watch the games thinking he's ready now. he's not.

Miss shots are bad for anybody wearing a Rockets uniform. Can't make an exception because he's from another country.
    Hartenstein sucks too. bricks know no nationality.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  7. VanityHalfBlack

You just know the words to my heart don't you?
    [​IMG]

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Physically and skill wise , he has a long way to go to become a solid NBA player .

He's got some great base attributes in his height and length and he isn't a complete stiff.

This guy is where the rox player development team can really make their money.

He's got to develop some solid offensive skills and add both size and explosiveness in order to athletically stand up to NBA bigs. This has to come without hurting his lateral movement . So it will take time.

He's as high an upside of a prospect we've had since d-mo and I thought Dmo panned out very well , he just got injured ( maybe this was due to too much weight) and hasn't looked the same since.

Zhou is never going to be a traditional 5 and he will likely struggle mightily holding position for boards and playing post D ( even after he adds weight) he's just got a high center of gravity.

He's a tweener , the good thing is that in position less basketball there are a lot of tweeners. He's got to find his best niche and then develop over time. I hope we don't pigeonhole him into just a shooter . But that is likely his quickest path towards PT.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  9. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Easy $$$$$$$$$ from china.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

26 year old?

11. amujiege

amujiege Member

Thon Maker is rumored to be 26 year old...

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Ok, what does that have to do with Zhou Qi?

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Nothing.
    They are trying to divert the obvious fact that he's not ready for the NBA now and that he can't shoot against NBA Summer league competition.
    He made his 3s in his first game, then all of the sudden his 'weight lifting' caused him to not shoot well in the last 4 games.

Obviously these people are not looking at Qi through a Rockets fans perspective.

They want Rockets to change their offense just for Qi, that there should alarm you that they are not Rockets fans and have no idea how the Rockets offense looks like

14. tinman

Supporting Member

At this point , I'd rather have Clint Capela jack up 3s.

He needs to work on lots of things. He's not better than DMO at this point.

glynch likes this.
  15. Quadrakill Amumu

D'Antoni may not have to make too many adjustments for Zochee if he can transition to a volume 3-point shooter, so they obviously want to give that best case scenario a real chance first instead of jumping straight to declaring Zochee a bad 3-point shooting case after the very first results of their nascent experiment. Even if the 3-point experiment ultimately fails and Zochee doesn't become a floor spacer as they hope, his defensive potential may still be intriguing enough for them to try to develop him as a 5. In contrast, Hartenstein is looking pretty bland all around.

- - -

Also, I did watch the game, I didn't say he was ready now, and I made no exception for him based on his nationality. I said they are developing him for an entirely new role than the one he'd been playing, so an adjustment period was expected.

1) I watched the game, from multiple angles, even - Fact.
    2) I didn't say he was ready now; I said quite the opposite - In role adjustment period + bad habits to correct = Not ready
    3) I made no exception for him based on his nationality - Fact.

So, bollocks with your feeble attempt to associate my response with your past demons. Even the guy who said Zochee's shot was smooth probably wasn't guilty of all those things. Go back to practice and punch some more straw man; you are not ready.

:eek:

Luckily for Zochee, the Rockets are neither stupid nor curmudgeonly. He'll get his fair chance to prove his worth or worthlessness.

That was a Serge Ibaka joke.

:(

16. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

I haven't seen these Zhou highlights before so I thought to share. He's showcasing nice mobility. I hope he could develop a nice turnaround jumper.

Narrator is kinda goofy, but he's not the pt of sharing this.

glynch likes this.
  17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Zhou Qi hanging out with his supporting cast.

18. Victorious

Victorious Member

Zhou is untouchable now. Playing with the big boys. Is he going to VLive too?

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The Untouchables: Starring Zhou Qi and Bobby Brown.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  20. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

The more I think about the more I think I want jsmoove back..... more of a emergency player but on the team non the less.

If he bout into just a defensive and facilitating roles... I think he could add value