1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela: Building block or trade asset?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 11, 2017.

?

Capela is

1. Building block

193 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Trade Asset

43 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I don't care to. Let's get back on topic.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Losing Capela would suck.

RocketsTruth likes this.
  3. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Yes kid I watched the games.

You can check the stats on NBA.com

Nene played in 67 reg season games & played in 47 (4th quarters). For the season Nene was a +2.9

Capela played in 65 reg season games (injured) & 59 (4th quarters). For the season sported a +3.3

And I guess you are saying you would play Gordon at Small Forward over Tucker.

Wow. Gordon had a DRtg of 113. Tucker had a DRtg of 106 with Toronto while shooting 40% from 3.

You don't respect me and the feeling is mutual. I think you are brain dead.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lmao, that's what I thought.

5. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I'm saying we'll end games with Paul Gordon Harden and then Trevor and Nene, likely.

As for whos what position, only God knows. Harden played PG on offense, pf on defense at end of games. We'll end with our most potent five.

And lol at D rtg. Like they don't change in different lineups, strategies and schedules. Omg 106 vs 113. No one gives a **** about that stuff. It's baseless, and before you spew other random ****. I'll clarify ahead of time-- different defensive philosophy, different rotations, 4+ different players playing with him, different conference(in PJs case last half of season), and that's before I get into the real nitpicky stuff like did he play in garbage time? Anybody injured that he usually plays with, etc.

And for calling me brain dead, it's fair to call you a fat dumbass.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you're really an Ivy League kid I'm rather disappointed in your communication style. We can disagree but we're all supposed to be Rockets' fans, a little decorum please.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Both. No one stops being a trade asset until they are worth more than the max.

8. basketballholic

Not true.

9. basketballholic

Ummmmmm
    Ummmmmmmmmm, I don't think you understand. I was saying there is no statistical difference. He's not a difference maker. He doesn't help our defense. We didn't miss him when he was out. Our recod was, in fact, better when he was out. You need to comprehend what you're reading better.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt that you described the best version of Capela. He can be more.

11. basketballholic

Or less.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

or like a 25 year old right fielder who hit .179 with 42 strikeouts in 84 at bats in his first season leading the league in home runs and OBP and starting in the all-star game the next season.

2017 Aaron Judge says hello! :)
    [​IMG]

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

btw, after five losing seasons Nolan Ryan came pretty damn close to winning 20 games in 1972 (he won 19 games that year) but won 21 games in 1973. He's a clear exception to this "rule." ;) https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ryanno01.shtml

14. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Lol everything about this post made dis young fellas night.

Amazing video lmao. WARNING

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

he's spammed every thread with this as well as multiple spams in private messages. he won't last long I suspect

16. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Ummmmmmmmmm. Fine. Let's discuss.

Have you controlled for the opponents of those games he played / didn't play?
    Could it be that we are better at rim protection when he was injured because the teams we played are biased towards jump shooting?

You were talking about the effect of drugs while not controlling for the type of patients who are taking them.

Half of the season ppl were talking about the myth of Khawi Leonard's on/off defensive rating (off court better than on court). I'm sure Pop has been eager to trade Khawi. I'm sure he's unanimous non-first defensive team. I'm sure the Spurs won't miss him when he's out. I'm sure he's not a difference maker.

Look, I voted for "trade asset" in this pool. I don't think Capela is tough enough for the toughest opponents in the paint. But he's far from "not a difference maker". Check his pick and roll stats for instance.

Please, think twice before resting your whole argument on such flimsy, untenable "statistical" analysis.

17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Well it was fun while it lasted lol. Pretty bizarre method of trolling but pretty hilarious

18. basketballholic

All those things are true. But we lost in the second round to a beat up old team four games to two.

We weren't good enough and there's two reasons we weren't good enough.

1. Lack of multiple playmakers to keep the defense honest.

2. Lack of interior defense and rebounding.

You can blame this on the perimeter defenders if you want to. But here's the reality. Our perimeter defenders primary job is to stop the three. We're looking for differential behind the line. We want to shoot a bunch of threes that are high quality looks and on the defensive end we're trying to take away the threes and force bad looks out there.

We did okay defensively in the playoffs defending the three point line. Of course it helped that we played two teams that do not shoot a lot of threes. And in okc's case aren't good at it.

However there's only so much you can expect from your perimeter defenders in today's pace and space NBA. What has to be behind them is a defensive monster on that interior, that guy that makes those penetrating ball handlers hesitate and pull up from 15-18 rather than attempt to take it to the rim and finish. That's what happens when these perimeter guys are staring down the gun barrel at Draymond, DJ, and other defensive intimidators. (You're soon going to find out Jordan Bell is in this category as well.)

And that's where Clint's mediocrity shines through. Blocked shots? Sure. He gets gobs more chances because teams aren't intimidated by him at the rim. They take it right to him. Why? Because they know they're going to beat him.....even if he does get the occasional block. They know they're going to get him overcommitted and beat him. He doesn't intimidate them, doesn't make them hesitate and modify what they're doing because of his presence.

So they don't pull up from 15. They go to the cup over and over and over again. And that's why our oponents go to the offensive glass against us too. That's why we gave up more layups and dunks than anybody in the regular season (percentage) and that's why we trailed only OKC and Chicago in giving up the most layups/dunks (percentage) in the playoffs. Opponents know they're going to beat us down low.

For us to win a championship, we're going to have to get that guy on that interior I'm describing. Clint isn't it. He may be a decent rotation big for a contender. He may be a starting center for a dozen teams in the Association. But the primary interior defensive presence on a championship team???... .no, won't happen.

19. basketballholic

Yeah. Both cases are one in a hundred.

20. basketballholic

Yeah. An extreme exception. We should not assume that when guys put on Rockets red that they're all exceptions to the rule.