1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Clint Capela: Building block or trade asset?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 11, 2017.

?

Capela is

1. Building block

193 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Trade Asset

43 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Dude you sound like you cited a bunch of stats but in fact only TWO numbers.

And from a statistical point of view it's likely the difference is statistically insignificant.

It's probably beneficial to you to speak less and think harder.

ilovehtownbb and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love Capela, and as good a player he is, he seems to be an even better person. He appears to really love his experience in Houston and living it to its fullest, in a good way. But if this team is pushing its chips to the middle of the table, going all in and trading away all its young assets for proven stars then Capela is also fungible. If Bev can be traded for an upgrade then why can't Clint?

It would be a sad loss, just like losing Bev, Trez and even Ryno eventually as they all contributed to an epic run last season, especially compared to where all the experts and many fans projected us to end up. But the starting center needs to live up to the rest of the superstar cast, especially in the playoffs, especially when his best backup goes down. This superstar cast need a dominant defensive presence in the pivot they can rely on in the very biggest games, a rim runner and roller extraordinaire on offense and a guy who plays with a giant chip on his shoulder and tireless energy.

For these reasons, a S&T with Dallas for Nerlens Noel makes absolute sense. He may not be as nice a guy, but he will bring the nastiness we need, athleticism, length, energy and complete familiarity and fit in MDA system.

3. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Cause I'm right and you know it. Plus, I'm better than you at just about everything in life.

4. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Who cares about previous allocation of minutes?

How many minutes did Harden log at PG before last season? Think above and beyond, we're trend setters. We're pioneers. D'Antoni will cope with PJ at the 4. Morey and D'Antoni had this in mind when they reached out to him. A combo forward backup.

5. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Him, too. He's a pretty shitty player. If you're going to just provide D and shot blocking, be a significant game changer(see Gobert). There's a lot of dogs out there, maybe not as effective as DJ, but cumulatively can be a damn good rotation at 1/4 the price. Run Tarik Black, Willie Reed for 48 mins a game. None are as good as DJ, but it'll be every bit as effective and likely cheaper. Willie & Tarik can't replace Gobert, and I'm not saying Willie & Tarik= DJ in trade value. Not at all, just effectiveness.

6. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

How old are you?

In today's basketball there are no set positions. Players are looked at to be interchangeable. Why are you having
    a hissy-fit?

Ariza will start at SF......then Tucker replaces him.......then Ariza spells Ryan Anderson at PF. Or Melo if Melo
    joins the team. From that point Tucker & Troy Williams can log in minutes at SF.

It's the fourth quarter that matters. That's money time when teams play harder defense.
    I can see the lineup in the 4th quarter as: CP3/Harden/Tucker/Ariza/Capela (if the starting PF is Ryan Anderson)

4th quarter as: CP3/Harden/Ariza or Tucker/Melo/Capela (if Melo is on the team)

Ariza at PF because he is 6'8" and Tucker is listed as 6'6". Plus I have seen Ariza play PF and I like it.

Take a chill pill.........they can all get turns at PF this season. Even Isaiah Taylor if you want!!

Edited: don't be surprised if Cam Oliver gets many minutes as backup PF.....I wouldn't be surprised

#86 Jatman20, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I voted building block and second guess the thought as really Capela isn't a "special player" .... he doesn't do much other than feed off of Harden in the pnr tho he excels in that roll and has potential for improvement elsewhere.

Honestly I'm starting to believe he is replaceable assuming his replacement has the same skillset - finishing above the rim on the pick and roll.

I'd like to see him stick around and while he'll be an RFA he's likely going to cost in the neighborhood of $12m+ on that next contract.

How likely are you to replace him with a rookie or free agent at a salary comparable to his current number?

D-rock likes this.
  8. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

You've got to be so dumb to believe what you wrote.

Ariza will finish at the 4, I agree. Thats it though. Gordon not Tucker and Nene as the 5 to finish.

Did you watch basketball at all? ****, you're stupid.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The problem with evaluating Clint is . .. its and evaluation on the Center Position

Outside of Defense, Rebounding and catching lobs .. . . What exactly would you want out of a center in the modern NBA?
    Back to the basket game? No . .. . he will get NO TOUCHES like that even if he was Hakeem in this league now
    Taking people off the dribble? With the way Refs allow little guys to hack to make steals and the defense to play zone . . . not fricking way a Big will be able to do something like that
    Shoot the 3? That is all fine and good but then you have to adjust on the whole Rebounding idea

Rocket River

Coach E likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We were 7th best in opponent FG% from 0-3 feet, we had the 4th best defensive rating and 3rd best in opponent efg% (out of 16 of course).

Clint had the 4th best defensive rating out of anybody in the playoffs (behind only Giannis, Green and Howard). And was 2nd in DPM - behind only Robertson, and ahead of Gobert.

Clint also was tied at number 1 with Green for total blocks in the playoffs (despite only making it to the 2nd round), and 2nd in blocks per game average.

I think the total points allowed the paint stat is due to the incredible pace the thunder series was played at, we outscored them in the paint, and had the most points in the paint per game out of any team in the playoffs. I also think the number of points scored in the paint is as much on the perimeter defense as the interior defense, when our wings lets guys drive straight to the hoop left and right theres only so much much one player can stop.

Overall from the eye test he did very well, and the stats show it as well.

#90 ThatBoyNick, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  11. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

If this guy is a Capela believer, sell now.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What is that supposed to mean?

13. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Means I think you're stupid, and for that whatever you say I want to double down on the opposite position.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol you're going to get banned soon. Thank's for the hot take cupcake.

15. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

For calling you stupid? Then you should be banned for calling me a cupcake.

What next? Someone's banned for calling you a snowflake too?

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah multiple uncalled for personal attacks in ban worthy, and you're also clearly trolling people as well.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  17. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I'm not actually, I'm being dead serious.

I really think you aren't smart. If you believe in Capela, I'm now a firm believer in selling high now.

My posts are 100% legit. And multiple uncalled names? Calling you stupid was one, you called me a cupcake. You should be banned too.

I digress though, this is about Capela. He isn't worth the max, and some team may give it to him I suggest we sell high.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Really think i'm not smart? Nice.

I didn't say Capela is worth the max, and wouldn't mind selling him for the right return at all. Think he's a solid starting C currently though, with room to improve.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  19. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Yes, I really think you aren't smart.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Mind pointing out which post you got that impression from?