1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Pelton] Scouting Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Jul 14, 2017.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Keep Capela, trade Qi. He reminds of Shawn Bradley. A Yao Ming he is not and not going to be. Capela is a budding star.

2. amujiege

amujiege Member

His shot looks smooth...maybe bothered by the weight lifting recently and adjusting to NBA 3 point line.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Possibly a fair comparison when it comes to shot blocking potential, I could see Zhou Qi one day blocking 200+ shots a year like Bradley routinely did. Of course as you probably know, Zhou QI has MUCH more potential offensively than Bradley ever did.

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Man, I would love to see the threads that were made between Yao being drafted and his first regular season game.

RockingRox likes this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Tincan is like the Uncle Ruckus for all Asian players. Its like he has to prove hes Asian by calling out all Asian players. Quite comical, but mostly sad and pathetic.

SLRokJok, roslolian and wireonfire like this.
  8. onreego

onreego Member

No doubt he's quick for a seven footer but the hope seems to be him playing pf. I just don't see that with his speed currently. Most specifically on defense.

9. Quadrakill Amumu

Biggest problem I see is low motor. He strolls on transitions, gives up after initial help on defense instead of getting back to guarding somebody, and fights for position only occasionally. It's like he just goes "Dude, I give up on that, that, and that, maybe I'll try this here, okay, that effort doesn't have a high enough chance to make a difference, so forget that. Won't even try on that. Okay this here looks promising, maybe I'll try this here. Not gonna try on that, that, and that. Not gonna fight it. Time to sit." That makes him a hard player to like.

The other problems they can fix, like he being used to shooting fewer than one three a game, lack of strength, etc., but he just doesn't seem that motivated to make a difference. That said, there is a lot of unteachable potential and the team played quite a bit better with him on the floor, so we will see how it goes in the pre-season.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If he bulks up maybe he can get to Alexis Ajinca's level.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Yao is Asian and he didn't shoot 30%.
    You guys will still act like he's porzingis if he shot 0%

I know all the Clutchfans at summer league, we all saw the same thing.
    This 'weight lifting' excuse for missing shot is the dumbest one yet.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

14% from 3 point line is NOT SMOOTH SHOOTING

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No.

Zhou's one great attribute is his length which helps him bother shooters and can protect the rim on drives but you can't have a stretch four that can't shoot 35% from three. I don't think he's going to bulk up the way Capela is starting to do. His frame just doesn't look like it will allow him to do that.

Zhou reminds me a bit of Kostas Papanikolaou in that everyone thought he would get better and improve his shot but he never really did and ended up being trade fodder in the end. I think that is more likely for Zhou than him becoming a rotation player on a championship contending team, as much as Les wants to appeal to the Chinese market.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

15. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

When you first start off lifting weights, it will throw your shot off because you're not used to it

roslolian and Dankstronaut like this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Nobody on this thread was at summer league watching these games except for me

The only time the word smooth was used was at the Michael Jackson show

The fact that someone picks the worst part of his game his shooting and calls it smooth makes suspicious that he's not here for the rockets

17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Even when you are used to it lol...

Decent write up. I think the biggest take away from summer league is inconsistency...which is uh, like, idk, par for the rookie course?

The weight thing, it honestly makes me want to vom.com ....like how many of you dudes didn't get your man strength? He's what 20, 21? It's coming. Nature will add 10 and if he can add 10 with his frame, golden. This fella right here will never weigh 250. Never.

And that's ok. Because this isn't 1990s basketball.

roslolian likes this.
  18. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Anyone think he will be better than Thon Maker?

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Harden would trade Zhou Qi for the Thong Maker.

Deckard and wireonfire like this.
  20. amujiege

amujiege Member

He has a chance if he can hit the open shots. Defensively he's already better IMO.