1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela: Building block or trade asset?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 11, 2017.

?

Capela is

1. Building block

193 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Trade Asset

43 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

"i'm all ears" is a response to CP3's comment
    https://twitter.com/CapelaClint

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The 13-14 had potential with Howard and Asik

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'll take Capela

There are reasons Cousins looses.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He is only goanna get better especially offensively

He is an above avg shot blocker and rebounder on per minute basis

5. basketballholic

Slightly better than I thought he would do but not nearly good enough.

We gave up the second most points in the paint at 48 per game. And our dfg% at the rim and in the paint was bad.

Against a banged up Spurs team with dysfunctional big man play they punked us at the rim and in the paint. Yes, I know CC blocked some shots. That doesn'tt mean good defense though. In this case it was the Spurs being overly aggressive down low because they had no fear of our ability to defend the interior...which we could not.

He's just not a difference maker. Not quick enough defensively to make a difference. Not long enough to make a difference. Not fast enough to make a difference. Not enough stamina to wear down the opposing big and make a difference. Not a good enough rebounder to make a difference.

At $2.4 million he's a roster bargain big. 20 minutes in a backup or even a platoon role....ok. But a championship team still needs that one horse inside. And CC ain't it. And next year he has to get paid.

After we acquire Melo, it would be best to trade Capela while he has trade value and some sort of intrigue about his potential. Trade him to Minny for a future first in conjunction with trading a second for Roy Hibbert. Trade him as part of a package give Dallas firt a re-signed Noel. Trade him with other salary to Orlando for Vucevic and a first. Trade him to Chicago for Lopez and a first. Knicks for KOQ and a first. ATL for a first. Send him to whomever will give up a first and then go get a Hibbert type stopgap. A proven paint/rim protector to go along with Nene and Tarik.

The reason I say do it now (if we even can get a legit asset for him) is because his trade value automatically declines when the season starts (unless he agrees to an artificially low extension). And then if he goes through a mediocre pre-RFA campaign then his trade value plummets to nothing and we have to match a likely bloated offer sheet or he walks for nothing......neither of which is preferable to getting something for him now....If possible.

I'm not against CC. It's not personal. He's just not a good enough player to keep and pay. Unless he breaks out big time this season. And the odds of a breakout in a players fourth season are miniscule.

Makes no sense to me to keep him unless he already has no trade value and we can get him to sign a dirt cheap extension (highly unlikely).

#65 basketballholic, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Has a rare combination of athleticism and awareness for a big man. Guy just always knows where to be and what to do....been like that since his rookie season. He makes up for a lack of size with great energy.

I was nervous at first about using the BAE, but what's it worth to have your center position locked down with guys that are perfect fits for the offense and defense?

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Capela played 23.9 mpg last year. Is he the reason we were so bad at rim protection for all 48 minutes of a game?

I'd be interested to know what the difference is in those stats you mentioned for when he was on the court vs when he was off. Also I think that we should look at dunks/layups give up in a half court set - while Clint was on the court - if we're using that stat to disparage Capela. Not just total dunks/layups given up.

Nene is usually a poor defender. Anderson is in the conversation of the worst in the league. Harrell never figured out where he was supposed to be. I just don't think we can lay all the blame for those poor defensive metrics at Capela's feet - especially because he only played for half the game.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lmfao, your opinion is what is worthless. Even your english is piss, on a board filled with people from other countries.

Why hasn't this guy been banned yet?

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Morey has said multiple times that he is a possible future Allstar. Morey is making it clear how he values him. Zero chance he is let go.

10. basketballholic

When Capela was injured, we went from 66% dfg to 67.5% dfg at the rim. When he came back we never recovered.

I'm not laying all the blame for poor defensive metrics on Capela. He's responsible for our poor rim protection when he was in there. But it's not like opponents shot 48% at the rim while he was in there and 82% at the rim when he was out. There's simply no difference defensively when he was in or out. He didn't make any more defensive impact tham Harrell or Nene did. We were equally as porous down low no matter who was in there.

The only time Capela has been a plus defensively us when he was playing the defensive 4 alongside a defensive stud at the 5. His best moments defensively were playing alongside either Dwight or Smoove when Smoove was anchoring the paint. He has been zero to negative when he anchors the middle by himself.
    Thinking that that is going to magically change in his fourth season is like thinking a mlb pitcher with a career record of .500 or less is suddenly going to win 20 games next season.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

To blame Capela alone for the Rox poor paint defense is silly. It's EVERY players job to keep their man out of the lane. The Spurs bigs are not what they once were but they were FAR FROM DYSFUNCTIONAL. They won 60+ games last year for a reason and it wasn't just Kawhi. But I agree Capela needs to continue to get stronger so he can hold his spot inside. His athleticism and length (7'4 1/2 wingspan & 9'2 standing reach ) are fine. Added strength, improved free throw shooting and eliminating silly fouls will really improve his game. I think CP3 being a vocal guy will help Clint too. If you can upgrade fine but kill the foolish noise about a "ROY HIBBERT" type? HIBBERT is a dinosaur in today's game and a HIBBERT "type " would be just as useless.

ilovehtownbb and Reeko like this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sure would be nice if there were some on/off stats that backed up these statements.

13. basketballholic

You think I made up those numbers?

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'd have mo issue if he was moved for an upgrade once it all settles, he's a middle of the road center, but not for dead set negatives like hibbert or vucevic.

ilovehtownbb, D-rock and saleem like this.
  15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2015 Dallas Keuchel says hello! :)

I see a very limited path to trading Capela if we do in fact land Melo. We're only $7.5 mill below the hard cap, and Anderson vs. Melo has a ~$6.5 mill difference. You essentially can't take on more salary at that point, and so your only options would be packaging Capela with a higher salaried player. Unfortunately, all of our higher salaried guys are actually quality players.

Can you upgrade Clint? Sure. Basically the only guy you could package him with to take back salary is Eric Gordon.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He becomes more and more of an asset as he gets closer to free agency.

D-rock likes this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think he will get better on defense and rebounding. On offense, he hasn't shown much apart from executing the P/R. His points come entirely from Harden's passing, and Chris will do the same for him. That doesn't mean that he is getting better on offense.

18. saleem

I don't think Vucevic is a dead set negative, but I would not trade Clint for him. Hibbert and Drummond are big negatives. Capela is a middle of the road center, no doubt it.

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I agree. Holic's crusade against Clint is just nonsense if your solution is HIBBERT or Vucevic.

20. saleem

I think Carl Herrera is implying that Clint will be moved for Melo, after adding Tarik. I too think that, Capela and Anderson won't be enough to get the job done. Perhaps EG and Clint/NG's/ 1st rounder might be acceptable for NY, but that would be giving up too much for Melo like you said.