1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinanu Onuaku

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Daddy Long Legs, Jul 5, 2017.

1. James Hardashian

James Hardashian Contributing Member

Magic 8 ball says...no way Jose!

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He will be on another team next year; not sure he'll play.

basketballholic likes this.
  3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I thought he's rebounding well.

Jatman20 likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Onuaku looks like a mixture of Capela and Hannibal Buress.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. Gorki

Gorki Member

I understand you but defense is nothing with guards and Nanu is still really bad on that, and passing skill isn't coming with guard too. He couldn't use his brain when trying pass.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think he wasn't playing well for like 90% of the game yesterday...he looked like one of those guys who doesn't care that much, don't know what happened then, but in the last minutes he was suddenly more aggressive and played a big part in our win. I like him overall, seems a smart guy with an interesting and uncommon set of tools for a center, i just hope he's not one of those guys who needs to be constantly pushed to play well.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  7. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

You and I saw a different game and I respectfully disagree.

You understand that Dragan Bender was drafted in the 1st rd (4th overall pick) and Marquese Chriss was
    drafted in the 1st rd (8th overall pick) last year ahead of Chinanu (2nd rd, 37th overall pick)?

According to box score of NBA.com
    Suns (vs Sac) have played Bender as Center; Chriss as PF
    Suns (vs Dal) played Chriss as Center; Bender listed as PF
    Suns (vs Roxx) played Bender at Center; Chriss as PF
    Now I mostly saw Bender on the perimeter vs Roxx; but Chriss played in 82 games with the Suns last year
    while starting in 75 games (according to basketball-reference.com).

Bender played in 45 games last year with the Suns starting in zero.
    Chinanu played in 5 games last year with Rockets starting in one.

Vs Rockets (summer league 07/10/17) Bender had a plus/minus of Zero.....Chriss had a (-10).
    So who gets the credit? Qi or Chinanu?
    Chinanu was a (+16). And blocked the last shot attempt of the game out on the perimeter to ice the game.

In the first 2 Roxx summer league games (17/18):
    Troy Williams: +16
    Qi..................: +16
    Chinanu.........: +13
    I Taylor...........: +14
    C Johnson.....: +11
    Chinanu only played 8 mins in the 1st game because of a tweaked ankle. Has favored it since imo.

All 3 games:
    Troy Williams: +13
    Qi..................: +40 (Qi was a +24 w/3 pts scored in the game vs the Suns)
    Chinanu........: +29
    I Taylor..........: +29
    C Johnson....: +34

This is where someone tells me, "Yes Jatman20....but the +/- goes with those surrounding the player as well."

Jatman20:
    "Yes, Chinanu surrounded by CP3/Harden facilitating PnR; w/shooters
    Ariza/Tucker/EGordon?/Ryno?/Melo?/Troy Williams/Ilyasova?/Dunleavy?/name other dead-eye shooting FA here
    spacing the floor, unlike you see in summer league."

Maybe Chinanu can't gather the bounce pass from Harden or CP3......or maybe there will be more space in
    the lane because of "great" shooters on the perimeter and Chinanu does just fine. We shall see.
    I know offense isn't everything; but I like how he pushes out the opponent from their comfort spot and
    battles for position on the blocks on defense before they receive the ball.

#47 Jatman20, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  8. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Thank you for the clip.

I've watched his D-League (now G-League) highlights.

I mostly watch his shot from about 10 feet in front of the basket for some pick-n-pop action (envision w/CP3-Harden)
    and PnR (rolling to the basket) touch around the basket & dunks. Most NBA starters will recover & block his lay ups
    or flip shots after the defender sails by him; but guys on the second team like the Zeller brothers or Plumlee brothers
    or Meyers Leonard will get him every once in a while.........while Chinanu gets the best of them most of the time.

That's with CP3 and Harden teaching him where to be !! Where as Capela can initiate the PnR at the 3-pt line.
    Chinanu may need to initiate just before Above the free throw line.

9. jogo

jogo Member

The Onu hate reminds me of the Capela hate from years ago. I think most of the haters only care about scoring and also don't understand that Onu is only 20 years old. Top 10 in the D league in FG% and Reb/gm last year at 19 years old. He is an excellent passer, probably better than most C's in the league. Shot 73% Fts last year in the D league. Rebounds and passes the ball well, not a good scorer. Onu is not a flashy player so people assume he's not playing well. Give him time.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he played hard in summer league. nothing noteworthy, but very solid fundamentally.

11. Gorki

Gorki Member

lol thanks for those replies but I just saw with my eyes 3 games, watched his feet works, watched his catching/passing skill, watched his defense on post and those kind of things was terrible, nothing similiar with Capela. Capela really grow up but Nanu is same and still thinking he's bad player

or

He just doesn't give a f about Summer League, cause except his numbers he was terrible on offense and 1on1 defense

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Taylor was also killing it, he was running the offense extremely well and Onuaku got a LOT of minutes with IT.

Onuaku doesn't have nearly the athleticism that Capela has, their issues are completely different.

Gorki likes this.
  13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I think there is a good chance that he will end up seeing a decent amount of regular season minutes due to necessity. with the way this team is getting built I think we will be great in the playoffs but will need to conserve nene quite a bit. Even Melo and CP3 shouldn't go all out in the regular season at this point.

EDIT: that's assuming we get melo

I hope chinanu makes use of the opportunities that he's gonna have to end up getting during the season

14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

dude needs to calm down with those outlet passes lol.

but he did dish a few dimes. our first team and second team were night and day.

15. Daddy Long Legs

Rockets signing tarik black means they think/know this dude isnt ready yet. They dont want to have to rely on him off the bench on the back to backs where nene sits.

basketballholic and vator like this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

okay, so we just signed Black, which means we are now 3 deep at the 5. We know we are developing bigs Joe Chee and Hartenstein in the D-League this year. I think the smartest thing would be to trade him.

He doesn't look like he's going to be a world-beater anytime soon, and that's putting it mildly. Trying to develop too many bigs at one time, hurts their development. Our young guys really need all the minutes they can get at the 5 and 4 positions in the D-league. Sticking Nanu down there another year is going to come at the expense of either Hartenstein or Joe Chee's development.

17. Daddy Long Legs

is hartenstein gonna be in the d-league or overseas next year? I agree with your idea except I think it depends on who we trade if we trade for melo. I think it's inevitable that some of these guys might be attached as fillers. I think you are right and think that he would be one of the best ones to include in that deal from our perspective

out of those young projects I think Joe Chee is the most worthwhile project.

18. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I would not be against trading Chinanu if not let him continue play in the G-League (use to be the D-League).

I did not see Nanu in this last game; but I did see him in the previous game vs the Nuggets. I was disappointed
    with guys attacking the basket and he played everyone as if they were left handed. He favored their left
    hand as if the shot was coming from there. Then they elevated and put up a layup with their right hand.

Rockets did the right thing in signing Black. Black can PnR and elevate above the rim if called on. Season
    is too important to take steps backwards like Chinanu did last game. Sorry Chinanu. Tried to defend you as
    much as possible. Hope events can inspire you to good things.

At the age of 20 there is still room for improvement and time to make the improvements.

19. MONON

MONON Member

I thought the Rockets signed Chinanu as a 3 year project at best. They weren't counting on any contributions anytime soon. So the signing of Black just adds to our cache of "bigs" that can be used in a Melo trade.

20. vator

vator Contributing Member

-Slow/mechanical movement
    -Doesn't stand out athletically by NBA standards
    -Not explosive off the floor
    -Wouldn't say he doesn't hustle, but wouldn't say he has a high motor either.
    -Seems fundamentally sound, but that so far has not masked his many defenciencies at this point.

As somebody stated, his lack of promise made the Tarik Black signing a necessity. Not impressed with him. Not convinced he has much upside at this point either, but he is very young.