1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lonzo Ball thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jacoby, Jul 8, 2017.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

very good assessment and it reminds me of a taller, skinnier, andre miller who seemed to perfect that old man game

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

From the highlights, that looked like a very ugly game in general. But Ball made plays down the stretch so got to give credit when due.

If you're defending him this season, I'd go underneath the pick and give him the shot every time. He'll blow by the switch and him getting into the lane is where he can really make plays. Small sample size but 19% from 3 ball so far...

3. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

What's wrong with my last comment? I said I wouldn't be surprised. I'm not saying it'll happen.

4. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

The guy is incredibly mentally strong.

The Lonzo-hype is the largest media frenzy since Lebron entered the league for a rookie, and the guy seems so cool and confident.

5. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

People are down on Lonzo's ability to shoot, its not like he's entering the league as Ricky Rubio-level shooter, he has a funky shot but sports science did a report on him, his release speed is still as fast as Klay's.

He was a 41% three point shooter in college, making 2 per game. Just something to keep in mind, he was a more efficient 3 point shooter in his last year in college at roughly the same volume than Lillard, Klay, and Beal. Statistically he was marginally better than Lillard and Klay, Beal in college shot 33% at the same volume as Ball his last year in college.

Point is, Ball may be right now like a 34-35% three point shooter in his rookie year I imagine, but I think in the long-run he will settle into at worst a 38% shooter which is still better than a number of superstar point guards, and given his passing ability & court vision, that will lead him to being an elite player in the league.

I still think he can be a very good shooter, we've seen a lot of players who couldn't shoot whatsover turn into very good shooters. Kawhi being one of them, Blake has steadily improved as a mid-range shooter, Paul Millsap improved dramatically his mid-range shot. And those guys were TERRIBLE shooters compared to where Ball is right now, which isn't too bad, not yet great.

AFS likes this.
  6. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Too many things to overcome? This guy is a favorite to win Rookie of the Year, and if anything his ability to handle the media attention is anything short of spectacular.

He's at Lebron 2003-level media hype right now, and in all his interviews he's just confident and relaxed. Its really impressive, I actually think he handles the media pressure like a complete pro already and doesn't seem like the slightest concern.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

By favorite you mean he has the best odds????

Interesting. I would think Tatum and Fultz would be ahead of him.
    I think the rookie of the year battle in the upcoming season will be the toughest in years. Between Tatum, Fultz, Jackson, Lonzo, Dennis Smith, maybe even De'Aaron and Malik Monk and don't forget about Mitchell with Utah. It will be so fun to watch the rookies this year, as opposed to last season where once Embiid went down injured it was basically who was the "least worse " rookie. (if that even makes sense).

Anyway, Lonzo will be alright.

Little Bit likes this.
  9. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

10. eman

eman Contributing Member

I haven't seen him play much. Can he go left? Watching him today, he went right every time.

11. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Lonzo looking like he will average 14 , 5 & 8

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

13. BackdoorHarden

So you're saying he's the next Michael Carter Williams and ROY?

14. theangrycanary

Well... for whatever it's worth... he's already better than d'angelo russell and obviously has a way higher cielng. So... there's that.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

. Don't forget Ben Simmons is a rookie too so fultz will need to outshine his teammate to have a shot. Both of them from Philly will make it tougher for either guy to win it.
    Lonzo will have LA media machine all to himself.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  17. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

more impressed by the kuzma kid than ball. the lakers look like they hit on that pick. hope this guy doesnt come back to bite us like batum and rudy gay

Normalus likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Turnover problems? Gotta be the shoes ... :)

Easy and el gnomo like this.
  19. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

If you are going to list that much of the draft class, I wouldn't leave out John Collins from the conversation.

I agree Ball will be alright. One thing he's proven is he can steer through the hype and still perform at a very high level.

ferrari77 likes this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16-12-10-5 and a W.