1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rotation out of break

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jul 13, 2017.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Friday: Morton
    Saturday: Musgrove
    Sunday: Fiers
    Monday: McCullers
    Tuesday: not listed...I'll assume Peacock or McHugh with Pea back to pen

Suppose it's not a huge deal, but why Musgrove in second game? Seems I would push him to Tuesday if I really wanted him in rotation

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

My only guess is that the Astros are actively trying to get Musgrove and Martes starts, and not doing so due to lack of options. They made a few peculiar rotation choices here recently. The last game of the first half was listed as TBA all the way until Saturday despite all logic suggesting that was Peacock's start. Then they not only put Musgrove in the rotation over Martes, they give him the second game out of the break

3. The Beard

Wonder if they somehow think Minnesota is a good matchup for him and they want something positive for him?

Wonder if he is being talked about in trade discussions

Just a weird way to line them up

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Obviously they want to give Lance some extra rest. Now, why exactly Musgrove and not say go ahead with Peacock, I don't have a good answer.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess is that Astros think his HR problem is either something he can work through against MLB batters or bad luck. My guess is a combination of the two. He throws too many strikes down the middle of the plate for my tastes. You just can't challenge hitters in the MLB with his stuff even if he's behind in the count.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He throws a lot of strikes period. If he can't locate on the corners consistently...

7. AnHero

AnHero Member

Playing with house money. Musgrove and Martes either stay inconsistent or put it together. Either way we will win the division and the offense should cover for their shittiness. Not ideal but also not the worst thing ever.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Musgrove and or Fiers. There's no way I remove Peacock from the rotation right now. I don't care if we're playing with house money or not. He's beyond earned a spot in the rotation and is the clear #4 behind Keuchel, McCullers, and Morton.

With the injuries and the huge lead, I would be all for a 6-man rotation the rest of the way.

9. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

The problem with a 6 man rotation is that too many of our pitchers, at least in the first half, could only make it through four innings. So we needed extensive use of long men, Devo, Peacock (early on), then Feliz and Hoyt. So instead of 6 man rotation, I expect a 5 man rotation but only expecting two of the starters to make it through 6 innings on a regular basis.

10. astroscolt45

astroscolt45 Member

So when is Keuchel going to start rehabbing in minors?

Tomstro likes this.
  11. right1

right1 Member

Any chance Armenteros gets called up for a spot start on Tuesday and that is why he was scratched from his start last night?

12. The Beard

Peacock has been listed as Tuesday starter now, they just didn't have him listed on Friday yet