1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 NBA Summer League

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by malakas, Jul 3, 2017.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Do y'all see Dillon Brooks?

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Wish I had but work pays the bills.

The stat line (2p, 6r, 2a, 2stl, 4blk) doesn't jump off the page, but Jordan Bell was very impressive in the 1st half against the T-Wolves. He is the only player in summer league not worried at all about scoring and is playing completely within his ability. When he's open for a 15-ft jumper, he doesn't feel obligated to put up a shot. He's setting picks, getting hockey assists and guarding the rim.

Honestly, I don't remember him being this good of an on-ball defender in college. He is owning people that try to post him up or beat him off the dribble.

roslolian and el gnomo like this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah what game were you looking at. He had 24pts

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't see Dillon Brooks because of work. My comments were on Jordan Bell.

5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

He's talking about Jordan Bell, not Dillon Brooks.

Thanks for the recap @A_3PO. Made the mistake of watching the boring ass MLB All-Star game. Will switch over for the 2nd half.

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

My bad

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bell finished with 5 pts (2-2,1-1), 11 reb, 5 ast, 5 stl, 6 blk. He was +27 and the Warriors lost by 2.

The guy was a monster. What the stats don't show is how he constantly sets screens, moves the ball offense, is quite a good passer, is unselfish and plays within his limits.

His ability to switch on PnRs fits the Warriors like a glove.

They got a steal.

Von Rafer likes this.
  10. raining threes

Summer League- Where guys that shine sit at the end of the bench/G-League.

Wiltjer says Hi.

11. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

He's gonna be their starting center by the end of the season, Bell and Draymond are gonna be great together. Everyone on that team, with that culture, can play team ball and contribute to the machine.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Is it still a steal if everyone knew he would be good? I don't feel so bad about missing out on him because Cameron Oliver looks really good as well.

Anyway I think this is the difference between GSW and other teams, they look at talent but they also pay attention to culture. They have 5 stars but everyone on that team is a team player, you don't have any divas who would throw tantrums if they aren't getting shots thats why they can all co-exist. It is also why I'm leery of bringing in Melo, at least CP3 is a known hard competitor so there's no problems there. Melo has a stigma of being selfish and a diva, tbh he looks like Dwightmare and D'oh-Mo and LMA-o combined.

13. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

i feel bad because he was right there for the taking... almost fell into our hands. exact same way I felt about Brogdon last year

Bell is gonna be awesome...players like him are what you need and going to a winning culture like GS is only going to hasten his growth. it's too bad so many other teams passed on him even though he may not develop the same way there - just didn't want him on a team like GS or SA

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well Rox do have Cam Oliver, maybe they thought getting Oliver as an undraftee is better than paying money to get Bell esp. since Morey was working his magic on the CP3 trade at the time he needed all the cash he can get.

15. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Yeah, I definitely acknowledge the CP3/potential Melo moves. i just wish there was some way we could've gotten him and or even someone else taking Bell instead for that sake. Anyone but GS getting stronger. Myers will get praised, and deservedly so, but it infuriates me how other GMs can just pass on a player like this.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Don't worry bro I'm sure Harden will get at least 2 rings during his rocket tenure. Maybe after KD retires to play tennis for 1 year and then go back to bball because he sucked...

tmactoyao likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thank you Chicago!

18. basketballholic

This is what I fear will happen. Bell and Draymond eating up almost all the minutes at the 5.

It's only summer league. But that defensive quickness translates. You could see this coming miles away if you studied Bell's game. He's just incredible quick and fast defensively. He's going to be a killer.

And they bought him for $3.5 million. Makes me get the dry heaves every time I think about it. I still believe we should have bought that pick and drafted him. Then bought the same guys we bought after the moratorium and figured out the trade for cp3 then. I still don't like that we blew away maneuvering in the draft. I feel that was a mistake. You beat the dubs you have to both get players and take talent from them. Bell was the obvious case to do both. Just makes me sick. He'll be way better defensively than Capela. And we could've had him and traded Capela and had two ace defenders at the 5 instead of facing two ace defenders at the five when we play them.

Now we gotta hope we can move CC for a great 5. And have at least one great defensive presence. Crossing my fingers for Yule C or Cuz.

Von Rafer and pippendagimp like this.
  19. basketballholic

Cam Oliver is not one-tenth the defensive monster Bell is. Gimmeabreak. He's gonna struggle to make the team.

20. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Jonah Bolden looks pretty good...wouldn't mind a look at him if I were the Rockets. Do Sixers really need another big...