1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul George traded to Thunder

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2017.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If one of our guys is injured, sure. Otherwise, I honestly don't see how. The Thunder have really had a good off-season, but their crazy Russ centerpiece will keep disappointing and making people around him underperform their potential.

OKC has their two main guys, and neither of them really pass much (especially after Russ hits his stats). Our two are arguably the best passers in the whole league. What do you think will make for a better team? (That's a rhetorical question.)

Pen15clubber likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Paul George wasn't sure what to expect when he was traded to the Thunder—so he called Kevin Durant. The former Pacers star opens up on OKC, leaving Indy, and his Lakers desires.

George has no relationship with Russell Westbrook beyond pregame pleasantries. He describes Sam Presti as one might depict a character in a spy novel. All he has ever seen of his new home is the Skirvin Hilton Hotel and Chesapeake Energy Arena. But in the 11 days since George was sent from Indiana to Oklahoma City, he has done his research, asking former Thunder players what he can expect in one of the league’s smallest but staunchest markets. One notable source was particularly insightful.

“KD was like, ‘That place will blow you away,’” George says. “He told me, ‘They can offer what other teams can’t in terms of the people and the preparation and the facility, down to the chefs and the meals.’ He was pretty high on them. He thought it was a first-class organization in every way.” The Thunder, who essentially traded Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis for a yearlong free-agent pitch session with George, will take any recruiter they can get—even if it’s the guy who left, sweet-talking his replacement.

George has discovered in the past several months what Durant and LeBron James already knew about superstar defections. “There’s no right way to handle it,” George says. “I get the frustration. I get why people are upset. But at the same time, I want the average fan to understand that we only get a small window to play this game and more than anything you want to be able to play for a championship. I wanted to bring that to Indiana. I really did. I love Indiana. That will always be a special place for me and I’m sorry for not holding on. But I wasn’t sure we’d ever get a team together to compete for a championship and that’s where all this came from.”

Throughout 2016, George followed the dog-eared free-agent playbook, betraying little about his future plans. “I straddled the fence,” he says. “‘Let’s see how this team shapes up and we’ll let you know.’ There was no, ‘Hey, I’m sticking around,’ and no, ‘Hey, I’m leaving.’” Not until June, after Pacers president Larry Bird resigned, did he sense a shift in the franchise and in himself. The core that reached the Eastern Conference Finals three years ago—George Hill, David West, Roy Hibbert—were all gone, as was the legendary architect. “Here I am, the last guy, and I kind of felt a rebuild coming,” George says. “I felt like the window had closed. I thought they were going in a different direction and I wanted to go in a different direction.” He didn’t ask for a trade. He told the Pacers he intended to sign elsewhere after his deal expired in ‘18. “I wanted them to have the opportunity to get something back if they didn’t want me to play that last year.”

“I’m thrilled,” George says. “All I was asking for was a little help in Indy. Now I’m getting a lot of help in Oklahoma.” He and Westbrook talked briefly on the phone that first night. “I think I fit with how he plays and vice versa,” George says. “Being a knock-down shooter, I think I can spread the floor for him and run the floor with him. But I also think I can help get him easier opportunities, being able to drive and dish the ball out, so he can attack guys closing out on him.” Durant and Westbrook sometimes clashed, but George may be more tolerant of a ball-dominant point guard with a sharp edge and a quick trigger. He adored Monta Ellis, for instance.

The Thunder are obviously not as talented as the Warriors, but they could be best qualified to defend them, with the length and versatility of George, Andre Roberson and Steven Adams. “Our defense,” George says, “is going to be insane.” Head coach Billy Donovan has already flown to Los Angeles, and during a barbecue at George’s house, discussed strategy with his new star.

George is from the L.A. area, and by superficial measurements, Oklahoma City is about as far away as he can get. But George actually grew up in Palmdale, more than an hour from Hollywood, and his favorite pastime was fishing on lakes in the Antelope Valley. The Lakers, with their historic home-court advantage, have reason to believe they can sign George as a free agent next July. The Thunder, with their player-friendly culture and MVP floor general, have reason to believe they can make it a fight. Optimism abounds that OKC will soon re-sign Westbrook, another Angeleno, to a five-year extension.

“I grew up a Lakers and a Clippers fan,” George says. “I idolized Kobe. There will always be a tie here, a connection here. People saying I want to come here, who doesn’t want to play for their hometown? That’s a dream come true, if you’re a kid growing up on the outskirts of L.A., to be the man in your city. But it’s definitely been overstated. For me, it’s all about winning. I want to be in a good system, a good team. I want a shot to win it. I’m not a stats guy. I’m playing this game to win and build a legacy of winning. I’ve yet to do that. I’m searching for it. If we get a killer season in Oklahoma, we make the conference finals or upset the Warriors or do something crazy, I’d be dumb to want to leave that.”

George will get four eyefuls this season of Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram and the young Lakers. Superficial measurements will matter far less than max slots and won-loss records. “It’s too early for L.A.,” he says. “It would have to be a situation where the ball gets rolling and guys are hopping on. This guy commits, that guy commits. ‘Oh s---, now there’s a team forming.’ It has to be like that.” But the same is true for virtually every locale outside of Oakland. “I’m in OKC, so hopefully me and Russ do a good enough job and make it to the conference finals and love the situation, why not recruit someone to come build it with us? I’m open in this whole process.”​

Vivi and malakas like this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Then why did you leave KD?

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

here's the tl;dr take home:

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Total garbage if he ends up staying in okc damn

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Roughly translated: "Unless we go from 45 wins, No. 6 seed, Round 1 exit to a top-two team (at a minimum), I'm out."

Pizza_Da_Hut, justtxyank and Mathloom like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

but but but everyone wants to go to LA.

okc is probably going to have atleast a decent run in the playoffs next year. I don't see pg13 leaving for LA at all, never did

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

silver needs to resurrect the fakers. watch okc end up with a brutal schedule to start the season off :D

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

We'll see how this will end, but if the Lakers are going to suck and OKC makes a good run (which is very possible btw) who knows...i would ****ing hate if he ends up staying in OKC thinking he could've been here, can't lie about this...especially if we end up trading Gordon or a 1st rounder for Melo.

I hope Harden and Paul talked with George and he just told them he really wants to be in LA and that's why we didn't make a better offer, but i don't know, maybe Pritchard just really liked more Oladipo and Sabonis, smh...

#311 Vivi, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  12. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

10/10 trade for OKC, paul george > har_en easy

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If Paul George ends up staying in OKC, then this move will be considered the steal of the decade.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

PG not even trying to cover up the fact he is out first chance he gets by referencing Durant. Sad. He does not want to be there.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's the greatest place, it will blow you away. That's why I left. - KD

OKC is like SLC. Young, hip-hop culture dudes don't want to live OKC or SLC. Their and similar cities only chance is to draft excellently and win quickly because they will perpetually be in the same cycle. The NBA has been that way for decades.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is so true but very unlikely.
    I'm with you. That chance of PG staying are close to nil, which is about the same chance of OKC reaching the Finals.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure why people think his chance of staying is that bad. okc is going to be a pretty good team. after losing a ton in indy as of late, he's about to go through a year of winning a bunch of games again which is going to be pretty refreshing. the decision of leaving isn't as sure thing as people want to make it seem

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah if they upset the Warriors he'd stay. gl with that

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Too bad he isn't going to stay.

There a better chance PG convinces Westbrook to join him in LA next season than him staying in Oklahoma.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We don't know how successful OKC will be next season and we don't know how well PG will mesh with WB. If WB doesn't accept the 5-year offer on the table from Presti, not only is it guaranteed PG leaves, WB might also.

I've been to OKC a number of times. Take my word for it: Very few wealthy people (not from OKC) would choose to live there by choice.

None of us can read PG's mind so let's see what happens. IMO, about a 10% chance he stays.