1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isaiah Thomas Tells Celtics To Cough Up Max Contract Or He's Gone Next Summer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AKVerse47, Jul 8, 2017.

?

Is Thomas Worth The Max

1. Yup, Pay That Man

43 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Celtics Should Pass

90 vote(s)
    67.7%
  1. AKVerse47

AKVerse47 Member

Don't expect Boston Celtics point guard Isaiah Thomas to give the franchise a discount when he's eligible to become a free agent after the 2017-18 season. He wants a max contract.

On Friday, the 28-year-old point guard told CSN New England's A. Sherrod Blakely he's a "max guy" and he's "happy" for everyone getting paid this offseason because his monster payday is coming soon.

"My time is coming," Thomas said. "They know they've got to bring the Brink's truck."

The comments are similar to the ones he made last summer when the topic was raised.

"They better bring out the Brink's truck," Thomas told reporters last July. "They're paying everybody else. I gotta get something."

It's no surprise his stance hasn't changed following a breakout 2016-17 campaign during which he averaged 28.9 points, 5.9 assists and 2.7 rebounds per game while shooting 46.3 percent from the floor, including 37.9 percent from beyond the arc.

Thomas ranked seventh in the NBA in player efficiency rating and ninth in value added, per ESPN.com. He was second in both categories among point guards to only 2016-17 NBA MVP Russell Westbrook of the Oklahoma City Thunder.

So if anyone had lingering questions about whether the University of Washington product was truly a max player, Thomas has answered them.

The Celtics won't have much choice next summer but to do what Thomas asks: load up the Brink's truck and give him every penny he's eligible to earn. The front office may need to get creative to ensure all of its top players fit under the salary cap, though.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ll-have-to-offer-max-contract-to-keep-star-pg

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

He should ask for the max. It's business.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Only getting paid $6 mil right now

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As long as he doesn't keep bringing it up, no problem with him saying this now.

Jealousy is an issue in the NBA. Guys gotta keep their heads screwed on.

NBA should remove the individual player max.

linvetb6 and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. theangrycanary

lol. negotiation 101. Start by asking for the most. Duh. What's he supposed to do, say he's not worth the max? Don't pay him what everyone else is getting?

6. Lightsnowaction

Any guy leading his team with to the ECF and dropping 52 while doing so deserves the max.

CantBeRight, rm365, Ozzy and 3 others like this.
  7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The problem is the Celtics are not going to win anything meaningful with him. Even with the addition of Hayward, they are not going to beat the Cavs in the East so long as LeBron is still around. That means locking up 3 max players for the next 5 years while only being the 5th best team in the league.

Ainge has done a tremendous job rebuilding the Celtics. He will regret the day he bought into the hype and locked up all his cap space into 3 guys who won't get him back to the promised land. The Celtics will get swept by the Warriors every single time.

buffalobills!!! and Pen15clubber like this.
  8. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Harden's extention got thomas jelly

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He deserve a lot more money, but it's kind of like when an emerging Hollywood star lands a big franchise role, then demands more money after they become more famous, from playing that specific role.

IT is good, he's underrated, underpaid - but he owes the Celtics and that system for what he's become IMO. That specific role has inflated his value. I'm not sure he's capable of leading just any team to the conference finals like that.

Ozzy and Coach E like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He's only eligible for a mid tier max, so that helps the Celtics.

I personally think he's only worth about the lower tier max money, but he will get his mid tier max without a doubt (34 mill per avg)

11. StevieCrossover

He need to ask for james harden money

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I was with you until you said he was underrated. He's properly rated to me. He deserves to get paid because he's been only getting paid scrub money. But his defense is absolutely horrible. So while he's really good on offense and really bad on defense, he's properly rated.

Ozzy and Rocket River like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Celtics will *have* to pay this.
    I am unsure how it will affect their quest to stay on top.

Rocket River

14. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Danny ainge counter - bout tree fiddy

Pen15clubber likes this.
  15. Major

Major Member

Why even have a league then? Why should any team try to sign anyone? If you're saying it's all pointless for Boston because they'll just get swept by the Warriors all the time, then you're implying that you don't think any other other western conference team has a chance either the next several years (otherwise, Boston might get to match up with someone besides the Warriors). So why should any team even bother?

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I'm betting he gets dealt. At 5'8 his size will hinder them defensively against elite teams. That's going to be rough to commit max dollars to.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  17. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I honestly would have drafter Fultz and traded I.T because he's not a number 1 option on a winning team

18. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

He is the best player on a contending team. He will not get that combination anywhere else.

Rocket River likes this.
  19. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

No, you're getting me wrong. Nobody should give up and fold.

I'm saying Thomas is not a top 10 player, which is what is needed to compete with the Cavs and Warriors. Celtics have put together a maxed out roster of second-banana types such as Thomas, Hayward, and Horford while other contenders are trying to put together combos like Harden, Paul, and Melo or Westbrook, George, etc.

Like Morey said, this is an arms race and I just think Boston is going about it the wrong way with this trio. Nothing wrong with building it, but it will always come up short against the heavyweights. Celtics are still the 5th best team in the league and that won't change.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Should've taken fultz.

ilovehtownbb likes this.