1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RealGM] Grading The Deal: James Harden, Rockets Commit To $228M Extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

grading the deal

http://basketball.realgm.com/articl...ames-Harden-Rockets-Commit-To-$228M-Extension

Grading The Deal: James Harden, Rockets Commit To $228M Extension
    by Christopher Reina

Jul 8, 2017 6:02 PM

James Harden’s agreement of a six-year, $228 million extension gives the Rockets a level of stability that doesn’t typically exist in an NBA where contract lengths have been reduced down to five years when a player hits free agency. Harden will be under contract with the Rockets through the 22-23 season, giving Houston six seasons of team control.

Harden agreed upon a four-year $118 million extension last summer and was grandfathered into the new CBA to add $169 million over four years to the deal, which is based on the NBA’s current $108 million cap projection.

For the Rockets, committing both years and dollars to Harden is an easy decision. Harden turns 28 this August and continues to improve while remaining one of the NBA’s most durable superstars. Harden has played 2,900 or more minutes in four of his five seasons with the Rockets while only having a minor ankle issue to limit his 13-14 to 2,777 minutes.

Harden had a career season in 16-17, averaging 28.9 points, 8.1 rebounds and 11.1 assists while thriving under Mike D’Antoni. Harden’s PER of 27.4 was a career high and he finished second in MVP voting for the second time in three seasons.
    more at the link

Yung-T, No Chill Rocket and roslolian like this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets finally get an A!

No Chill Rocket likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

both writers gave an A for this extension, and I totally agree

we have an MVP candidate locked up for the forseeable future...we won't have to go through what a franchise like the Pacers just went through

Yung-T, Y2JT, split41 and 3 others like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It seems like Harden gets a new deal every year. From the Rockets, from Adidas.... ..

BigShasta and DudeWah like this.
  6. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Got him locked up till hes lebrons current age.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

There's just no question, that James has been good for Houston, and Houston has been good for James. And there's no question that Les and Morey have demonstrated a passion to win (and to take risks). I'm excited about the next chapter. If things work out the way folks expect, on paper, we could be looking at Houston's most talented team since ...maybe ever.

Yung-T, Y2JT, Invisible Fan and 5 others like this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Damn I'll be old as f*** by 2023. They better win a title 1995 or whenever was too long ago.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Well deserved James. Now go prove it in the playoffs

split41 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

It's a good day for Houston. One of the best and most loyal players on the planet has chosen to stay in Houston for a LONG TIME.

I Love James. He loves this city and team. He has shown us a unshakable commitment to stick it out til the end. PAY THE MAN! Blessed to have James Harden lead this Rockets team... and look forward to him leading us to our championships in the future. James deserves every penny for this relentless choice to get better and for this undoubted loyalty to the city of Houston. Loyalty cannot be measured in numbers.

He is most likely gonna retire in Houston. We are blessed AF to have a corner stone that is this loyal to the city.
    [​IMG]

split41, Invisible Fan, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Side note: I rewatched the end of Game 5 and most of Game 6, just for the torture and mystery. Harden was definitely fried. I can't specify a cause for sure, but I'd be shocked if overwork and being the sole target of defensive schemes weren't the #1 and #2 reasons. Zero qualms about betting the franchise on him, and easing his burdens as Morey is doing.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I'm glad that everyone loves this but it seems like just yesterday everyone hated Harden. But glad that we locked him up long term. Get Chris Paul an extension and start filling up that banana boat.

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Not only is this good for Harden, but it is good for the Rockets. Now high-profile players in the future will look at the Rockets as an option. Where is that thread that Les is losing money?!?!?!?!?

14. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Does anyone have all of Harden's contracts as a houston rocket? I would love to see what they look like. And how much money he's got.

And his adidas contract is 200 million right?
    How much was his Nike deal before that?

TIA.

15. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

James we are So Glad you luv Houston too ! Well done Murphy !!!!!!!

Way to throw open the vault Uncle Les ! Want some ice cream ?

16. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Glad he's locked up for his prime.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

See this is what I love about James he is concerned about his brand but he isn't a ring chasing diva. 6 year extension is unheard of in today's NBA, these players just want 3 yr contracts so they can leave if they don't like it. Harden is an extremely loyal guy, I bet if Presti hadn't traded him and played hardball instead Harden would've signed less than the max in OKC. Sucks for him, great for us.

Y2JT likes this.
  18. 90dmswo

90dmswo Member

Putting discussions about whether JH is worth that much money aside, is it a smart move to commit nearly a half of salary cap on a single player?

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

locking up a perennial MVP candidate long term is gonna cost u

20. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I remember when we exteneded him for 5 years $80 million when we got him and half of clutchfans was upset.