1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hou Chron] Rockets see in Zhou Qi a raw talent with a high ceiling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Jul 8, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...Zhou-Qi-a-raw-talent-with-a-high-11268691.php

MDA will make him look ok on Offense but there is much work to be done on D, other than shotblocking which he is good at.

PnR, One on One

DreamShook likes this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I read Chandler is interpreting for Joe Chee!:eek:

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Chandler Yu.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Chandler Yu'll C?

Jontro, B-Bob, treyk3 and 4 others like this.
  5. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Good vibes so far. Only time will tell.

saleem likes this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is a thing we probably have to live with. Stretch bigs who camp most of their time or in Chee's case I would say part time they won't get many boards or at least inconsistent rebound rate.

Serge Ibaka is the best case. Or others. I doubt he can box out and outmuscle others. Probably have to take what rebounds he can get.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i liked that he's active, not passive; active on both sides of the ball. Seems to really want to play defense, long arms, and he's got a broad enough frame that you can tell he's good to put on 20 or so pounds of muscle. He's got a nice natural stroke, seem like he'll end up being a good shooter. His athleticism also was impressive for someone so tall. He looked lost at times, but that's to be expected from a RAW player (which is how i'd characterize him). But the talent and the instinct (i assume the work ethic also) is there, and it does appear we got a great prospect in the mid-second round.

9. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Nice article write up....pump up that value and make sure the knicks read every piece.

iconoclastic likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's been a pro for a couple of years, and probably in an intensive program before that. Not the best training/experience, but it's something. At this age of 23, we are going to know quickly. He will not be ready for anything to start the season except shooting 3's at a mediocre clip. Let's look at him mid season and get an idea.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL I guess this is typical CF behavior we hype up every other players but then find all the holes we can in our own. Dude played great and IMHO will be considered the steal of his draft, I mean if he had this performance in SL before he got drafted last year you think he'd last till the 2nd round?

Zhou Qi's numbers aren't really what's impressive, like what everyone says he is up against scrubs who won't make NBA rosters. However what you can see from him in this game are a working J, really good feel for the game and an aggressive mentality, these are things which are essential to an aspiring stretch 4 because these guys will get enough strength and athleticism to survive in the NBA through training/workouts. Just look at Ryan Anderson you ever see him box people out, sky for rebs or block shots at the rim? The main difference between Anderson and 100s of guys like Wiltjer is that Anderson can play in an NBA offense, he knows how to play within a system whereas guys like Wiltjer or C. Wood just looked lost when they played in SL last year. Zhou showed he has that same ability in the game tonight, it wasn't just the case of him getting hot or w/e a lot of his buckets resulted from his fluid actions as well as his scoring instinct. And he also made 33% of his 3s, his shot right now is off because he working on his strength (like what happened to DMO before) but once he gets used to his body he'll hit his 3s more accurately. What I like the most about him though is his aggression, dude isn't afraid to mix it up inside which is refreshing to see after a season of watching Ryan Anderson play like he's made of tissue paper.

I'm hyped about him and Isiah H, Morey and co. did a good job drafting Harrell and Dekker but I think they got two gems in these two guys.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

High ceiling on the court may be but Rockets definitely view his very high ceiling through the roof off the court

Those Chinese $$$$$$$ will help ease Uncle Le$ deep financial trouble and perhaps improve the urbanization of the Toyota Center experience.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

could be our poor man's Chinese version of Porzingis

I see a lot of potential

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i mean his potential is clear just after 1 game.

i'd consider him a successful second round pick if he can crack the rotation next year. i think he can if he bulks up a bit and either works on some flaws like PnR defense or becomes elite at one of his strengths like shooting the 3

pippendagimp likes this.
  15. ballgame

ballgame Member

Or a Rich Man's Zhou Qi. I think this kid is going to be along the lines of KD. He's quicker than Prozingas. Prozingas is a 4/5, Zhou Qi is more of a 3/4. Once he feels more comfortable on the wing....he's going to take off. He is long enough to pose a problem for quicker 3s and 4s but he's going to have to get stronger. I think he's going to be able to contribute after the All-Star Break

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he showed me something when he dove on the floor in traffic to grab that loose ball. he's a competitor and is sneaky wiry strong..

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

could this guy still be growing?

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

every time I see this thread title I can't help but think, of course he's got a high ceiling, the guy is seven feet tall for crying out loud

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You reeeeeeeeaaaaally believe the Rockets would trade a future cash cow? May I quote Bernie Mac? "Sh*****y********t."

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

He's no SF. He's a mobile 4/5 just like Porzingis, and I haven't seen any evidence that he's quicker than KP. His handle isn't even as good as KP's and you're talking about KD? Sorry man, but I think you're way off base if u think that this kid has any business being a SF in the NBA. He won't be able to guard guys out on the perimeter all game long. Porzingis himself has a lot of trouble guarding stretch 4's or guys who can put the ball on the floor. Why would Qi be any different?