1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Retirement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobrek, Mar 16, 2017.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

We make sure to get out to Hawaii or Mexico every November or December and January or February.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

There you go. Time to spoil them! (assuming they live near you)

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Congrats.

Past 2 generations of males in my family have died at 57 and 50. I'll be 51 when I send my son off to college in 4 years. I'm thinking of selling all my worldly possessions, buying a conversion van and traveling the country for the rest of my days.

Enjoy your retirement

Torn n Frayed and bobrek like this.
  4. bobrek

They already get plenty spoiled. :) The live about 2 hours from us and we have a lake house about 6 miles from them, so I'll be spending more time there.

Os Trigonum and ima_drummer2k like this.
  5. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

You were only in your forties when you joined CF....

For some reason that was the first thought that hit me. But congrats. Stay young.

bobrek likes this.
  6. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Most people do not have enough to retire really comfortable. I made my kids and grandchildren put at least $150. a month into a retirement account starting when they get their first real job, usually when they are 20 to 23 years old. It takes some persuading for some of them put I make them put it on paper so they can understand that they will be able to retire by the time they turn 50ish

I HAVE BEEN RETIRED SINCE 1992 AND AM RUNNING OUT OF STUFF TO DO.

#46 No Chance, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    DudeWah, bobrek and Bäumer like this.
  7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Good for you! My plan is to retire from my full-time rat race career between 45-50. Then maybe work another 5-10 years doing something I really enjoy that is less about the money. Definitely want to fully retire by 55.

8. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Good job. I had someone sit me down and explain to me the importance of contributing to your 401k. It has just been over a year and I am SOOOO glad I did. It has performed well so far and I have way more money in there than I was expecting. If I didn't have that manager push me I don't know that I would have started contributing the amount I did.

No Chance likes this.
  9. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'm currently putting away about 18% of my income between my 401K (13%) and my company pension (free money - 5%). I also put about $100-$150 into a Roth IRA that I have, and then contribute more to that when I can. All the calculators tell me I need to put more away (just a couple more percent). But I'm hoping to just keep some money set aside to invest in some real property and maybe have a rental or two paid off when I retire, that can produce good cash flow to supplement the other retirement streams.

Bäumer and No Chance like this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

My long term plan too.

Hoping to have my (1) rental paid off in the next 5 years, then use that cash flow to save and pay cash for another rental, and so on, and so on, and so on.... My folks did this and now have 9 paid-for rental properties. Then we can both retire when the kids go to college and live off our retirement savings and rental income.

No Chance and K LoLo like this.
  11. bobrek

My June 30th retirement day was moved to today, so this is it. I was fortunate to only work for 2 companies over the past 40 years (started when I was 18). Survived a number of layoffs. Never really had to look for a job. It is over. No more ClutchFans on company time.:)

jsingles, Rashmon, Fyreball and 9 others like this.
  12. body slam

body slam Member

Congratulations

bobrek likes this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

Congrats, man! Hope you're not retiring from CF though. 2 companies in 40 years. In this day and age, that's pretty rare.

I'm celebrating my 15-year anniversary at this company a week from today. Never thought I'd be here that long when I started back in 2002 (coincidentally the same year I started posting on CF.........). I always had my eye out for another opportunity somewhere else, but since they started letting me work from home twice a week a few months ago, I'm a pretty happy camper and I'm most likely not going anywhere. Wouldn't be surprised if I ended up staying here until retirement in 20 years.

My parents and in-laws are all retired and so happy. All they do is play golf and spoil their grand-kids. I envy them and envy you. Some day........

bobrek likes this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Congrats, bobrek!!

bobrek likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Congratulations!!! enjoy it.

bobrek likes this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Congrats Bobrek! A good poster getting a much deserved rest from the rat race.

I've got some years left in an industry with a not so bight future. :(

bobrek likes this.
  17. bobrek

After the summer of 1975 working at Astroworld, I got a real job in August of 1976 after graduating high school. Stayed there 8.5 years and then 32+ at my current company. I was fortunate to never have to face the uncertainty of having to look for a job. When I did switch a handful of folks I knew had already made the same move and were able to put in a good word for me.

18. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Have you figured out what you are going to do in retirement? Clutch fans is not enough to keep you busy, if you don't keep busy you will drive the wife crazy after about 3 months :) I know I did! Hope you really get to enjoy it You just have to find something new to occupy your mind.

bobrek likes this.
  19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

You're my hero, bobrek. Congrats on the retirement!

20. bobrek

Spend more time at the lake house near where the grand kids are. Maybe actually take a golf lesson or two. Run in the morning instead of the evening. My wife stays busy enough with golf and tennis that we seldom cross paths. :)

Os Trigonum and No Chance like this.