1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela: To extend or not extend, that is the question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 26, 2017.

?

Would you extend Capela and for how much?

1. No. Keep him on a low cap hold and match an offer or negotiate next summer

45.3%
  2. Yes. Extend him at a salary starting around $25 million and hopefully we save a few bucks next summe

1.2%
  3. Yes. But only if we get him to agree to a $20 million first year salary or less

8.1%
  4. Yes. But only if we get him to agree to a $15 million first year salary or less

33.7%
  5. Yes. But only if we get him to agree to $12.5 million first year salary or less

11.6%
  1. basketballholic

So, after the moratorium we have the opportunity to negotiate with Capela in an extension. Would you want to extend him or not? If you do, then at what salary commitment would you agree to give him?

A max extension would be somewhere around 4 years and $111 million based on projections for this year's cap. Of course, next year's cap could go up or down. If we gave him a stated figure and the cap went higher next season then we'd have him at less than the max. And if the cap went down so that the max was above the figure we agreed with him on, then his contract would be amended down to the max level.

Would you want to extend him? Or do you just want to match an offer next summer and hopefully have him on a paltry cap hold until then?

#1 basketballholic, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ain't nobody got time for this. Rockets need to overhaul the roster.

Either go all in or tank. I would love to keep Capela, but he's one of our most valuable assets.

bilaal14 and BigggReddd like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Would not extend. Need cap space. If they fail on FA, the might consider extending if it was cheap (e.g. Makes him a cost effective trade chip).

I like Capela, but recognize his limitations and wouldnt hesitate to trade him to upgrade the team.

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This is like the fifth question on the Rockets' mind right now.

BigMaloe, sammy, arubato and 4 others like this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

[​IMG]
    Not now....

bilaal14, BigMaloe, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What is Sandy?

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

no you do not extend. he still has to prove he can be a full time center. Though he is making good progress, theres a reason why Nene is here as they both helped each other. CC still needs to continue that this year with production and upping his minutes while still be effective. in no way has he earned an extension at this point

Mazulis and saleem like this.
  8. basketballholic

It's part of the decisions the front office has to make this summer.

My own feeling is that if we don't trade Capela this summer that it would be best to negotiate and agree on an extension and get it signed with him prior to August 22, if we can get him signed for a first year salary of $20 million or less.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

My max would be a 15M starting contract.... if that's insufficient, I'd entertain trade offers and leave myself the ability to match whatever offers he gets elsewhere...

I love CC, but I'm not sold on him being a full time starter at 35+ minutes... Imo, he's the kinda guy that splits time at the 5 with a beefy banger that you can jockey depending on matchup....

10. basketballholic

Believe me, I understand that. And would normally whole-heartedly agree. But.......If we do pick up say George and CP3 this summer, it puts us in a different light. And Capela will likely look like a world beater in that line-up if he isn't traded.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I would trade him for Jordan Bell and Mike Brown ;)

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Pretty much this.

Two more years (considering his cap holds for 2018 free agency) of his cheap contract is huge for a team trying to sign max free agents like the Rockets.

I'd be a bit torn if he would be willing to extend for 12/15x, but eh...let's see if/who we get this summer first.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Capela is an after thought

The new reformed Rockets would be headlined by Harden, CP3, Paul George, Hayward, Millsap, Porkzingis and Blake Griffin

#pursuit

roslolian and Pen15clubber like this.
  14. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Lol all those guys would get decimated by dinwiddleweenie

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

if the rockets were able to pick up either of those players wouldn't the low cap hold for CC make more sense, especially with the option to negotiate next summer when they can evaluate on the then progress of a 23 year old

16. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

TRADE HIM FOR RUBIO

#YuleC

Pen15clubber likes this.
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Not an after thought; a thought for after.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He needs to earn an extension. He can't come back with the same game when the next season starts.

19. basketballholic

If we don't make trades and signings for max guys this summer then by your theory we could drop Ariza and Lou next summer and pursue one max guy. But we'd almost have to not sign anybody long term this summer to accomplish that. Does Harden, max player, Anderson, and Capela (signed to a new high dollar deal) do anything for you?

Even if we signed LeBron, you'd have a big 4 of LeBron, Harden, Anderson, and Capela dominating your cap space. And that would be after enduring another season like this one because we can't substantially upgrade this team right now without adding salary.

I think we are most likely going to add somebody substantial this summer, even if it's only one guy. If we do that we won't be able to have max cap space next summer anyways, even if Capela is on a small cap hold.

Unless he is traded, I suspect we try to negotiate an extension with Capela.

One other possible factor here (that I would need @BimaThug to declare right or wrong) is that Capela may be eligible for a 5-year extension. Each team is allowed one rookie contract extension of five years, not including current season). Harden was our designated guy. And his extension wasn't set to expire until next summer. But we re-negotiated a fresh deal for him. So my thought is he is no longer our 5-year designee.

This may seem like minutia to most. But a 5-year extension at $120 million versus a 4-year extension at $111 million works yield a starting extension salary of a little less than $21 million. And a smaller market team may like the fact that they could have a good young big locked up for five years at a slight discount to the max versus paying full max for him. And therefore Capela may become a more attractable trade asset to them since he'd be locked up. Would need verification from @BimaThug that the above is possible however.

20. MONON

MONON Member

I wouldn't extend Capela until after we've signed our big "splash" this off season.

kjayp likes this.