1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We will not miss Bouye like that. The pressure from the front seven will force turnovers left and right. JJ returns back to 80% will produce more than what Bouye produced last season.

Our secondary will be just fine.

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

QUESTION: I loved the Brock trade when it happened, but now I am completely perplexed. Why did we unload Brock and our 2nd for cap relief if we weren't going to spend that cap savings? Since we haven't really added anyone of note since then (outside of the draft), couldn't we have either cut him and eaten the dead money or kept him on the roster as an expensive 3rd stringer?

Do we just anticipate that money going to Hopkins, Clowney, and I guess now Duane Brown?

I'm just thinking about next year's draft and having nothing in the first two rounds... that's, um, not good.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Part of it was to make the fanbase happy I'm sure but the other part was that they will be giving Nuk a new deal so even if we don't bring anyone in they will be using some of that cap space.

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

That's pretty much what I assumed, but there's not really any huge hurry to get that done, right? We can still franchise Nuk twice after this season if we are that worried about keeping him. In retrospect, it tells me that Texans were convinced that Brock was not just a bad QB but also had created a team-wide toxicity that had to be excised at (almost) any cost. Pretty effing bad to have paid that guy that much and it turn out the way it did.

The Brockening, in totally, was just a gigantic and expensive cluster-****.

Sorry to pour salt in the wounds, but I'm just trying to figure out the thought process.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

texian likes this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not team-wide toxicity. No way he and the coach were going to survive together in the locker room.

eric.81 likes this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Specific answer: they probably rolled the capspace forward already. Yes perhaps to extend Hopkins and Clowney like you said.

General answer: they are clueless. Even if they needed the extra money to extend guys, what was the plan if Brock actually turned out to be good? Let Hopkins walk?

eric.81 likes this.
  8. texian

texian Member

That is a fantastic interview.

Payne and Meltser were actual grown ups, asked great questions.

And O'Brien enjoyed it? We're on new ground, here.

9. Mr. Clutch

What's strange is that it's been 4 years and we haven't had an interview like that with O'Brien.

Then again, I'm not sure we ever did with Kubiak.

I feel I have a lot more clarity into what the Astros and Rockets strategy is and thinking of the FO.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Not an interview that drives ratings.

Ratings would love OBie talking trash on Brokenstein.

11. Mr. Clutch

Well, who cares about ratings? Morey and Lunhow provide plenty of insight to the media.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Nah, letting JJo walk and cutting Cushing after this season would free up almost $17M between the 2 alone. If Brock panned out, we could've the pics to give us flexibility on the OL. Brown and Allen are due almost $18M combined in each of the next two seasons, none of which is guaranteed so it'd be instant cap savings as well.

Of course all of this can still be done, but not having our first 2 picks next draft really hurts in filling in some of the holes on the cheap.

FLASH21 likes this.
  13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

One of the two could have been franchised and still possibly can be.

The other may have had to walk. But I doubt that would happen, somehow (looking at you Cush) cutting the fat would have probably made it plausible to resign Hop or Clowney, whoever wasn't tagged.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Sorry, didn't read your post... basically you had the same idea I had.

Also, I don't really fret over the two "lost" picks, if the Texans see a guy fall that they really like and they're willing to move up to snag I can see them making a trade with other future assets and so on and so forth for the next few drafts.

Compensatory picks may also play a role next offseason, don't forget about those with Simon, Bouye, and Demps.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

You know, we could always trade someone a 4th and 6th for their 2nd and a player on a bad contract... We have the money now and buying picks was started by some team this year. can't remember which one. ;)

Yaosthirdleg and Mr. Clutch like this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

We already had these options before and after trading Brock. The question was what was the point of trading him if we used none of the space we created this year

My theory is that they said "oops, we actually do need more space next year" and rolled it to next year.

And we'll have to use some of the space next year just to cover the second round pick

#2616 Mr. Clutch, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  17. Mr. Clutch

You can't trade future assets and rely on free agents forever.

They are doing the opposite of what the Astros and Rockets do in terms of assets and picks. I don't see it working out well.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

To be honest, if they use all this excess money, drop jjo and cush for more money, resign clowney and hop, and get 2 STUDS in FA next year. I will be fine with missing the picks. Especially if Watson turns out good. I think the draft is exciting, but if we get into win now I want to destroy FA next year. And there will be some good ones available.

19. Mr. Clutch

Free agency is expensive and risky. Jeff Allen and Lamar Miller haven't exactly proven to be values on their contracts.

That's why high draft picks are so valuable. They are cheap for several years and can still be really good. It won't be that easy to replace jjo and cush.

texian likes this.
  20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No we didn't. You more than likely couldn't keep both while Brocky was still on the books. So now with the space you free up enough to resign both without having to use the franchise tag... remember that the franchise tag is still pretty costly since you're paying the player average of what the top 5 players in that same position in the league average.

The other two tags are a bit more manageable but allow the players to negotiate with other teams, which you don't want the market setting the bar for your star player's salary. There is always a risk to tagging these players and you don't want to end up with a Kirk Cousins situation on your hands.

We've done it that way for a while now and still haven't made it past the 2nd round... I say it was worth the risk and about damn time. If it pans out it was worth it, if it doesn't we're f***ed again. Point is let's cross that bridge when we get there. We've still got an entire season to get through before we have to worry about who we can and can't draft NEXT offseason.

Enjoy it now, worry later.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.